Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

Maybe a new twist on a twister...

dan_the_mailman
11 years ago

So, I'm thinking about twister quilts. Then I have this thought... instead of using solid blocks, how about using fabric strips? I'm thinking if you started off with say, 10" blocks comprised of various 2" strips, sew them together and cut out 10" twister squares and put them back together, it could get REAL interesting in a hurry.

What do you all think?

Dan

Comments (32)

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I say, "Give it a try and tell us what happens" ! lol

Why not? What can it hurt?

• new2quilting
    11 years ago

The ones I've seen with stripes are fun. Having done one of these with pre-cut squares, I found it time-consuming, so piecing blocks will take some time.

A couple of things to thing about. Twisters have a lot of seams and a lot of bias, and you're going to have even more seams if you piece together the blocks, so if you want to try it I'd suggest lots of starch. Also, I think the main thing about the twisters is contrast, so you might want to do light stripes in one block, dark stripes in another, or all shades of red in one, shades of blue in another. That way when they're nestled they really pop.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I am all for trying out new ideas, so you should give it a try If you want something that random and scrappy though you might be better with a crazy quilt - the problem with twisters is that there's a LOT of waste. Will you end up with a pattern worth the waste?

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Making color runs within the blocks is a good idea. As for the additional seams and bias, after having done a queen-sized bargello a few years ago, that's not going to ever bother me again..lol!

Kate, I think that, with the larger blocks, the material that doesn't get used within the twisters will be large enough to use in other ways, so that'll cut down on the waste. In fact, it might help me out with the postage stamp quilt I'm slowly working on.

I think I'm going alternate solid blocks with the strippy ones so the quilt doesn't get too busy. And, who knows? While I'm working on it, I might get more inspiration to do even more to further projects! I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Thanks for all the input!
    Dan

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Dan,

Would you post a picture when you get a few blocks done? I'd love to see how it looks.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Dan, I saw one Twister where the extra fabric was squared up and used in the border. Or, you could be like LindaOh and just keep making smaller Twisters with the leftovers. lol

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see this, Dan. You are always thinking outside the box!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

"...postage stamp quilt...",
    "...the extra fabric was squared up and used in the border.",
    "...keep making smaller Twisters with the leftovers."
    More and more great ideas!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol, thanks Bev! When I was in elementary school, our art teacher told me once that she could always count on me to change things a little when she'd introduce a new project for us. It's not that I can't follow instructions, I'm just always asking "what would happen if we...?" I guess you could say my medium is cloth. Instead of painting or drawing (both of which I also like to do), I quilt!

I think I'm going to try a smaller block to see what this does. Instead of creating one huge quilt, I'm going to try this and hopefully wind up with a block around 30" square. That way, if I like the results, I'll just need 8 more for a quilt. If I don't like the results, or I think of another way to tweak it, I'll be able to make some changes for the rest of the quilt.

Hopefully I'll have some photos to share in a few hours. See you soon!
    Dan

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

OK, Dan, it's been a few hours and I'm still waiting...... lol

SharonG/FL

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol...sorry Sharon, it's not going to be done this evening. My experiment is going well though, I've got the blocks, both striped and solid, all done and sewn together. I've even got the frame around the whole thing. But, since I need to go to bed in about an hour, I'm stopping there. Last time I learned that, once you start the twister squares, you don't want to stop if you want to keep them in order.
    I'll start again on it after I get home from work tomorrow.

Is the suspense getting to you??? LOL!
    Dan

• lola99
    11 years ago

This is fun - I'm following along too and the suspense is building...

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Well, yes, Dan.....we know you're doing your best to keep us hanging on your every post! LOL

SharonG/FL

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Ladies. After work last night I came home and took a couple of vicadin and a couple sleeping pills and went to bed. Hopefully today will be a better day at the p.o., and I can come home to do some sewing. I want to see how this turns out!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

That must have been some day, Dan! Hope you have a better day today cause work is interfering with your hobby and we can't have that.

SharonG/FL (who doesn't know why she's up this early and even posting!)

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Eagerly awaiting to see pics of this twister quilt Dan. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I've got the first part of this experiment finished. Finally, eh? It's nice to be enjoying an evening without the vicadin...lol!

I made a large 9-patch block of alternating solid and striped 10" blocks, then attached a 6" border. Here's what I came up with...

Then I used an 8" template to draw/cut my blocks. Here's the result...

I like what happened, but I think I'm going to try again using fabrics for the stripes which aren't the same as the solid blocks to increase the contrast. I really like how the solid windmills sort of hide within the striped ones, and how the striped windmills create a secondary camoflauge pattern.
    When I make another block with more contrasting colors, I'll post it all here again.
    Dan

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

So, it works! Yeah.

I think I'd also suggest strips that are more narrow so you get smaller/more colors on those windmills.

I also agree that more contrast is important.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Very funky, Dan. I like it. This is one quilt where color selection really makes a difference. (I guess that's true about most quilts, but it seems more so here.) I think the black really sets off the stripes. Show us more!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

HI Dan, I like what you created w/ your twist on the twister. I've made one twister w/ the smaller 5" blocks, I loved the result, but I was outraged at the amount of waste once I starting cutting.
    The results are cool..can't wait to see more..!
    V.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Looks great!

• User
    11 years ago

Wonder what would happen if the original had circles in it?

Cool effect so far.

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

What a difference a twist makes!

I love the effect, and I like the idea of using contrasting stripes in narrower cuts. I'd also use a couple more black squares, if making a larger project.

What are you going to do with the waste/scrap fabric?

Julie

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I love it Dan, very creative!! I also remember those kind of days at AT&T OFTEN!!

I saw a twister border like Sharon mentioned and I loe it, I have to find it again and bookmark it!

I have the twister pattern from a very old book and I have yet to try it.
    Rosa

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! A lot of questions! I like'em because they tend to spark more ideas, sooooo..... keep'em coming!

Waste material: Once I've made eight more blocks the same size and have gathered all the left over material, I'm going to use it to make a border for the quilt, and possibly sashing between the blocks. Waste not, want not, right?!

Peg, circles? Explain yourself! You've got my interest piqued with that comment!

Black/dark blocks: There will be more.

===========================================================
    IDEAS:
    I've thought about changing colors from one corner to the other, beginning with blue in one corner, changing to purple, red, orange, then yellow in the opposite corner.

Another idea I've had is to make the squares 8" when sewn together, making the twisted squares gradully grow more off-center progressing from the lower left corner to the upper right. We'll see.

Third idea would be to make one in black and white.

Fourth idea? Combine some large bold prints with solids in an alternating pattern before making the twisted blocks.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Dan

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I don't have any ideas but this one looks like it does need a little more contrast to be able to see the pinwheels well....at least for me and my tired old eyes.

I don't think there's anymore waste with this pattern than any other as the leftovers can be used in a number of ways. Don't forget the little pinwheels can be used in the border, although I'd opt for making squares. lol

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Twister border

• polardream
    11 years ago

Very creative, Dan! I like the results. I am sure the finished product will be fabulous.
    Sue

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Dan,

I'd try this with paper first rather than waste fabric. I was thinking of blocks like Drunkard's Path with the partial circle in the corners - how would they twist? I'm just thinking outside the box - why straight lines all the time? Or it may be a bad idea because the twists may look really strange like a rag quilt.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

drunkards path, eh? sounds like an interesting experiment! I'm not worried about the waste of fabric because, no matter what I do, as long as there's enough contrast in the various materials I use, the twister pattern should show through. it might be more subtle in some blocks, but it'll be there. I wonder what a dresden plate would look like?

...the experiments continue.....

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I'm enjoying watch this progress!! I'm one that needs a pattern. So, I love watching this come together :-)

Robbi

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robbi, I used to be that way, always needing a pattern. I'm still that way a little I guess because I like to try new patterns and see how they go together. But then I like to get my "what if" ruler out and start measuring more fabric...lol! Somewhere over the last year I had something of a watershed moment. I've been reading variations of the phrase "it doesn't matter how you quilt, as long as you're enjoying yourself while quilting" in my quilting magazines. We've all got different ways to enjoy our hobby, and I do like to push myself with new patterns, techniques, and combinations of them.

I've also got say I like having you all comment and watch what I do. I don't know of any local guilds, so you all are filling that spot for me. And I like it!

Happy Sewing!
    Dan

• new2quilting
    11 years ago

Since your original post I kept remembering someone in the Bunny Hill scrappy plate club doing strip pieced Dresden plates. She wrote up a tutorial, pretty cool. Now I'd probably just used striped fabric, but that's just me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stripped dresden plates

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA