Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

May, 2012 Quilting/Sewing Goals

It looks like April was a good sewing month for many of us. I think we're all happy campers at this point. Now, what are your plans for May?

1. Sandwich Brown's Choc Stars

2. Last border on Citrus Cooler

Since we're getting ready for DGD's graduation in May and family coming down, plus me getting ready to close things down here and pack for a 3 month trek, that's all I feel comfortable committing to. I might do some mindless sewing, but I really need to start cleaning and baking.

SharonG/FL

Comments (20)

• lola99
    11 years ago

1. Finish my circle quilt! I'm so close, but I don't want to get derailed and not finish it.

2. Participate in the monthly lotto

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Finish my Jelly Roll challenge quilt for my guild outreach program.

Finish my President's Challenge project for my guild. The theme is "Play on Words"

Both are due May 28th and I have some monthly block committments as well

• day2day
    11 years ago

Goals for May:

1. Sandwich and quilt 'Dandelion Snowballs'.
    2. Continue hand quilting 'Violets'.
    3.MAYBE...do a few blocks for the sampler quilt.

Good Luck.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

May 2012
    Finish the Lotto sample blocks for August, Sept, Oct
    Make another purse for a birthday gift
    Make another purse for me!
    Work on Blue Stars/Finish the center portion?
    Maybe work on the (not so much) Fun 'N (never) Done picnic quilt

Kate

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Hmmm...let's see.

I guess I'll plan to quilt my king size Roll Roll Cotton Boll (2010 Quiltville mystery quilt). I have the backing fabric draped over the frame, so that's sort of a start! LOL

I'll probably try to quilt the Taupe top I just finished, too. I'm thinking it may become a gift for one of our pastors who is moving in June.

I'm taking the week of July 4 off and decided the other day that my project is going to be redecorating the back bedroom, so I should probably do some planning/prep for that, too.

Donna

• calliope
    11 years ago

I've a sampler I need to pick back up and embroider. It's from an old 1800s English rhyme about doing laundry and is hilarious and a tiny bit coarse. Just enough to make someone laugh who bothers to read the prose on samplers.

Keep on working the sun and stars quilting so I can bind it and put it behind me. I want so much to do a "mindless" pattern like I do between difficult quilts. I'm thinking a crazy quilt before I start on a Blue Ridge Beauty.

If I want to get a quilt into the fair this year I also need to work in that direction now to get it done by August. The sun and stars quilt, although different enough to be eye-catching has some less than perfect handwork on it. So a baby quilt would be a good option.

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Finish May Lotto blocks.

Start a wall hanging..pattern calls for 3D stars. Purchased a Fasturn tool to make the stars.

Limiting my quilting projects, because my garden perennials are calling me....."Get those darn weeds away from us!"

Julie

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Plans for May:

1) Cut and sew border for my Grandma's queensize quilt.

2) Make strap for my quilted water bottle carrier.

3) Make Lotto blocks.

4) Make cloth bookmarks and have DH laminate them - hopefully before Mother's Day as I know family members would love to have a few more.

5) Read an heirloom embroidery book that I just checked out of the library.

6) Complete more 9" Card Tricks blocks for my parents' queensize quilt.

7) Complete Mug Rug for Seeds-N-Stitches Swap. (Done) :-)

I know I probably won't get this all done, but maybe will get the majority of it done. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Today I started a baby quilt for a girl expected next month. It is a double four patch block with 30's children's fabrics.
    I hope it doesn't take too long because the garden is calling.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The month is almost half gone! How's everyone doing on reaching their goals this month? I have met both goals, but as far as getting ready for family and leaving, the only thing I've done is to pull out the suitcase! Oh well, what will be, will be.

1. Sandwich Brown's Choc Stars - DONE
    2. Last border on Citrus Cooler - DONE
    and have also, made 40 HST's for Beverly, made a few maverick stars using plaids, made a few more positive/negative 9-patches, working on a green SpiderWeb table topper (needs borders) and want to make a purple one.

We are to pick up Salijo at the airport on the 21st and then the fun begins! More family coming in on the 23...which is graduation day. Daytona Beach is planned for the 24th, and more family here by Saturday with the openhouse in the afternoon and karaoke in the evening. Sunday there have been a couple of pontoons reserved for the family to relax on the water. Monday, everyone leaves, including me....do you see any time in there for me to pack for 3 months? Guess I can sleep in the van full of 11 people as we head north. Whew!

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    11 years ago

Sharon, congrats on meeting those goals.

I am doing better than I expected because the weather still hasn't been the best so I can't get out at my plants.

Goals for May:

1. Sandwich and quilt 'Dandelion Snowballs'..... DONE
    2. Continue hand quilting 'Violets'..... DONE .
    Need to get the binding on and finish it.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Roll, Roll - about 1/2 quilted
    Taupe top - DONE!

Sat. I went to JoAnn's and found a book on Bavarian crochet, which I'd never heard of. Books were 40% off and the Lion Pound of Love yarn was on sale, so I bought the book and an armload of yarn and started a baby blanket. Just didn't have enough irons in the fire, I guess. :)

Oh, yeah, I signed up for a Quilt U class that starts May 25, too. :D

Donna

• polardream
    11 years ago

Wow - where did April go? Middle of May!!! Yikes.

I need to put the label and binding on Double Irish Chain quilt - it's a retirement present for the principal at my old school. She has been principal for 28 years and hired me.

Try to get 3 lotto blocks done (don't hold me to it Kate, I haven't signed up yet!)

Clean my sewing room/office/guest bedroom for my Mom & MIL who will be staying here in June while we are traveling.

Sounds like enough for now.
    Sue

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I am so far behind, I hope I remember how to use my sewing machine!! My goal for this month is to actually get to sew something! Things are winding down for the end of the school year, but they are ending with a bang! At least I hope it will slow down. Vacation is only a few weeks away, so I hope I can get a little bit done then.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I'm glad this post came back to the top because I needed a reminder that I have goals!!! I better get to it....

• day2day
    11 years ago

Goals for May:

Need to get the binding on and finish it.... DONE

New Goal as of May 18th.

1. Finish Baby Panel.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, ladies. My goals are met, in fact the Brown's Choc Stars is quilted and given already. My niece took a picture but I haven't seen it yet. You probably won't see me until Tuesday as we're leaving Monday morning at 3 and hoping storm Beryl won't cause us any problems as we travel through that part of Florida and Atlanta area.

I have potato salad to make today along with making some fresh green beans (neighbors garden) with bacon for later on today. Everyone (14 of them) except me, Salijo and great-granddaughter Addison is out on the pontoons this morning...we're having a girls morning, plus I need to finish packing...not that I've done much about it yet. @:)

Have a fun day everyone......SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I have 2 sides of hand sewing the binding left to do on Roll, Roll! And I started quilting the taupe quilt this morning. I may be able to finish it this month, too.

Donna

• day2day
    11 years ago

Goals for May:

Need to get the binding on and finish it.... DONE
    3.MAYBE...do a few blocks for the sampler quilt....WORKING ON IT

New Goal as of May 18th.

1. Finish Baby Panel.....DONE

All the major ones are done and I am enjoying working on the sampler quilt. Most blocks are patterns from the 2011 BOM done by the Florida Cabin Fever quilters. I am going to make some extra blocks using other patterns.

~Geraldine

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Cabin Fever BOMs

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Woohoo, Roll Roll is done and in the washing machine! I'll post pictures on a separate thread.

Donna