Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Completely dismantled :(

jennifer_in_va
9 years ago

I have had to completely dismantle my sewing room :( All the books are in tote bags; all the fabric stash is in totes and/or tote bags; all projects moved, piled, stashed or stored. The entire closet has been emptied, and DH will be removing the closet system in order to take down the paneling.

It made me physically sick and very depressed to pack and store all this stuff. All of this because we need to have the water main replaced and it feeds into the house in my closet, behind my fabric!

It's not like I was working with any of this stuff (I was working on quilting mom's quilt) but now that I CAN'T work on it ... well... I don't like the feeling.

I have no idea when it'll be fixed so I can replace everything. :( I have questioned DH what the chances are that there will be water flooding my room during this process. [There's still a lot on the floor that could be damaged.] He tells me that that shouldn't be an issue... You may all begin praying for me and my stuff!

I knew you'd all commiserate! Thank you

Comments (10)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Aw, Jen, I'm sorry! I know what you mean about not wanting it till you can't have it. I hope things are back to normal very soon!

Donna

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Been there, done that, only I had a short time to do it. We found a leak last year in the wall and floor in the garage, on the other side of the wall is my sewing room. When the plumber got in there he discovered that he would have to come into the sewing room to chip and hammer up the concrete to reach the underground pipe. Which meant moving (quickly because the clock was ticking) as much stuff out as possible and then covering the stuff I couldn't move with sheets and whatever to try to prevent the cement dust from penetrating. Of course it was still a mess but it would have been much worse if I hadn't. I hope it gets done quickly and painlessly for you.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Feeling your pain! Hope you are not down long.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

I feel your sewing/fabric/chaos emptiness ....what a horrible feeling, I hope
    all will be sorted out soon!
    V

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

So sorry -- I was afraid of this from what you told me. I hate dealing with plumbing - it is always ulgy!!!!!

Words of Encouragement:
    Gather up a few supplies, find a corner to put a sewing machine, and work on something small -- maybe the Challenge for Retreat -- and it would be a Real Challenge! Or - sew something repetitive & mundane.
    It is depressing & disheveling to have to pack up everything & get so disorganized, but you can work thru this bump in the road. You just have to be really creative if you want to sew :~)
    Sewing anything will help you feel better.

At least the weather is getting to be nice finally!

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

So sorry. Mago has some good ideas. The bright side is you got to the problem before it broke into your space. Who knows, when you put it all back maybe you'll find some long buried treasure.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Be positive, just think, when all this plumbing stuff is taken care of, you will have the opportunity to reorganize your entire sewing / quilting room when you move everything back into it piece by piece. Every time I reorganized my small sewing space my little corner in the laundry room I find things I had forgotten about that I can use on future projects, it's always fun to find things with renewed interest that I had totally forgotten I had, so maybe you will find little treasures like that as you put it all back into your sewing / quilting room and as you do that is a great time to inventory your stash to see if you are in need of things or if you have extras to donate to others. There is a reason for all things that happen, so see this as the opportunity it is. I hope all goes well for you.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I think you just need to come stay with me for a while. You can play in my little room all you want.

beverly

• loisflan
    9 years ago

So sorry, Jen. I hope you are back up and running soon.

• bev2009
    9 years ago

I think the bumps in the road are suppose to teach us patience. But it seems like we constantly need the lesson. LOL Keep breathing, go for a walk and this season will pass.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Loudoun County, Virginia