Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size does matter...right?

Posted by littlehelen (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 20:37

I've been asked to make a quilt for a charity auction and the requester would like the quilt made up w/ a wine theme. The reason for the wine theme is they will be submitting their home made wine to pair up with the quilt. So I'm wondering if I should make a large, picnic size quilt, or just go with a lap size quilt for two to cozy up w/ while enjoying a glass of vino? thoughts, suggestions...
V.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size does matter...right?

Suggestion, you should see Marsha's 9 patch pizazz wine quilt. Marsha, can you post it again? It's a wonderful wine theme quilt that would make a great auction piece. The main problem is finding the right fabric but Marsha might have some hints.

o

V - that's really exciting news! I know their wine and I know your quilting... this is a perfect pairing!

Nine Patch Pizazz is one of my favorite patterns. It goes together quickly and looks more complicated that it is. People will love it. I would suggest you make a lap size and see if you are satisfied with the size. If you aren't then you can just add a wide border (or two) in a coordinating print to get it up to picnic size.

Are you thinking of quilting this yourself on your new lovely Bernina or having it long armed?

Kate

o

I'm not sure if I will quilt myself or not...depends if my skills improve by that point. Thanks for the suggested pattern...I've been thinking of a nine patch something,so I'm looking forward to seeing Marsha's nine patch pizazz.
I did find some michael miller wine theme fabric on line, should have next week.

o

I have bought all my wine themed fabrics online from different collections, and was amazed how they all went together. I made 2 Wine Themed Quilts for Christmas Gifts - a His & Hers for the same household (Federal Hill)so they needed to be similar, but distinctively different.
The book is worth buying, especially for a special quilt.
It would be perfect for this occasion.

61w x 66l
Photobucket

61w x 66l
Photobucket

Photobucket

They like the longer one better - they noticed the difference! and mentioned it to me :)

I quilted them in wine leaves, swirls and grape bunches.

If you want to see some detail pics, I can post them.

I highly recommend reading/buying the book to grasp the concept of the 9PP. It is a fun and quick quilt to make.

Your friend~Sylvia (LOL)

Here is a link that might be useful: 9-Patch Pizzazz

o

And, they're lovely up close. It is covered in grapes, grape leaves and wine bottles. I think it would be a big hit at a fundraiser.

Thanks Marsha.

o
RE: Size correction

The second quilt is 71.5" long (I made a mistake in the above post) These sizes are after washing using Warm & White to get that crinkly look. They love their quilts, and they are wine enthusiasts.

This will make a great & unique auction item paired with their wine.

My son &GF had purchased a pack of Wine themed FQ's for me from a quilt shop near a NY winery, which are not in either of their quilts, and I have not used them yet, so I have a good variety of wine themed fabrics if you need some help IDing some fabrics.

o

..Thanks for posting the pics...your quilts are fabulous and are just perfect for what I need to do. I expect the fabric this week and I'm ready to get started. I will take your advice on the lenght... 71-72 sounds about right for a quasi-picnic wine quilt. I just need to practice the machine quilting part...that's my current challenge! Sylvia and I are trying to work things out:-)
V.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here