Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnycentralfl

Civil Was Quilts, anyone?

sunnycentralfl
13 years ago

Just wondering if anyone is planning a CW quilt? This is the the 150th anniversary of that part of our country's history. Our friends, Connie and Ken, are in Charlotte partaking of all the events...she is a storyteller and he is a CW re-enactor...they both quilt...got to say, he does make beautiful CW quilts. Also, he is a quilt appraiser.

Barbara Brackman posts different CW blocks and the history behind them on her blog.

http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/

Gwen

Comments (20)

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Hi Gwen! The quilts are beautiful but I just can't embrace the colors of the CW fabrics. I never say never, but for now a CW quilt isn't on my list.

Kate

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I love the colors and fabrics and might get to it yet. But, my list is pretty long. I've made one already. It's a sad time in history so hate to think about it too much.

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

I am a Civil War history buff and love the patterns and colors of the fabrics. I have all of the blocks made for my Underground Railroad quilt and it is on list to finish this year. I also am collecting fabric for another Civil War era quilt. I have a couple of patterns from Bonnie Blue Quilts so will likely use one of those.

• tdsully
    13 years ago

I've got on my to do list a Undergroung railroad quilt. I've got a book and love the stories that go along with each block.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I do love the idea of doing an Underground Railroad quilt. Would it be wrong, wrong, wrong to do one in pretty batiks or jewel tones? Would you all rat me out to the quilt police?!?

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

I did a block of the month last year with my LQS that used CW repros. The blocks are different baskets. Not a big fan of the baskets but the fabrics are ok. I would like to finish it and give it to my Mom for Christmas.

Rebecca

• msmeow
    13 years ago

I've never been interested in a CW quilt before...just don't like the dreary colors. But Nancy Rink is doing a CW BOM this year, and for some reason this one really appealed to me. I have the fabrics and have been downloading the patterns...now I just need to get time to actually start it! LOL In fact, I have enough fabric that I am thinking about making 2 - one with Nancy's patterns and one with half-size blocks. The original one will be around 80" square, so a half-size one would make a nice wall hanging.

Donna

• wynative
    13 years ago

I am a huge fan of that era - over Christmas break I took my daughter to Vicksburg :D I never even thought about making a quilt. . . must add that to my list :D

Is there any good sites out there to get idea's, fabric info and patterns from?

Also checked out the blog - Sewprimitives - Fort Sumter Block is AWSOME!!! What a great idea!!!

Marie

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Marie, check out Nancy Rink's BOM Ode to the Blue & Grey

http://www.nancyrinkdesigns.com/free/ode-to-the-blue-and-grey.html

Also Barbara Brackman's website (these are the patterns Sewprimitive is using)

http://www.barbarabrackman.com/

Bonnie Blue Quilts sells CW kits and patterns

http://www.bonniebluequilts.com/

Okay, maybe I'm more interested in CW quilts than I thought! :)

Kate - I think you should make your Underground Railroad quilt in whatever fabrics you like! Just make sure you show us pictures! :)

Donna

• karpet
    13 years ago

I just did some log cabin quilts using Civil war repro. fabrics to go along with a our H.S. play that was set in the late 1800's. The fabrics are not my favorite - the warm colors have a brown tint and the cool fabrics have a gray tint. But as I was working with them I would start to really enjoy them and found myself thinking they were not so bad. But every time I came back to work on them again I always had that initial reaction of 'ughh!' I had to supplement with some fabric from my stash and discovered that I have not purchased any fabric that would fit in as civil war style - the closest pieces I had were brighter and could be picked out by sight when you saw the finished quilts.
    Karlene

• sunnycentralfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the comments!
    Donna, TFS all the links! And, yes, the colors may not appeal to everyone...thank goodness we have lots of color choices. lol
    Kate, you are the designer if you choose to make it creative, I know it will be your own beautiful design.
    Karlene, maybe tea dying muslin would help tone down the fabric that will fit in better?...just an idea!

For now, it will have to wait a bit because I am finishing up 3 scrap quilts: binding one, layering another and making a back for the third out of wayward blocks that have been cluttering up the sewing room...I'm so dedicated to using up the scraps. AND, in the process made 28 more crumb blocks. I can hear Sharon now! LOL
    Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Gwen! 28 more??? Let us see what you've done with all those Crumbs! I really didn't care for the one I made with them all sewed together but liked the one with the sashing and cornerstones.

I've used up all the white scraps I had in trying to use up the other scraps, and had to cut some WOW. So, what am I doing? Making a 6" 16 patch with every other square white.

No Civil War quilts for me......unless it's novelty or a focus fabric that I can't resist, I prefer marble or TOT fabric...at least that's how I feel today. @:)

SharonG/FL

• sunnycentralfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon, I thought I might get your attention...I haven't done anything with any of the crumb blocks except add more to the stack..lol

Here is info on my CW friends I mentioned before:

Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: Stitchin' Heaven in TX

• lola99
    13 years ago

I don't care too much for the civil war colors, but I really enjoyed reading about the CW blocks and the origin and meaning behind them. TFS

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Does "Dear Jane" Count? I have been working on that for years, hand pc. but will never finish I am sure. Too much of a challenge but still I try every once in a while. Jayne

• wynative
    13 years ago

Donna,

Thanks so much! I will be checking them out and hopefully be able to pick just one :D

Have a great weekend all,
    Marie

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Years ago my guild had a block swap with blocks and fabrics from the Civil War era. I made my quilt and I'm glad I did, but I quickly fell out of love of the reproduction fabrics of that era and I gave the rest of the fabric to a guild member.

Now, reading about the history of the Civil War in novels or watching movies set in that time I love! Recently watched True Women from Netflix. I loved that movie, especially Dana Delaney. I also love Shenandoah with Jimmy Stewart.

• rivkadr
    13 years ago

I'm doing one. It's just a simple 9 patch, but I'm hand piecing it, and planning on hand quilting it as well. I actually kind of enjoy the reproduction fabrics; not stuff I would usually work with, but it makes for a nice change. I just finished my first two blocks yesterday...

• ginnie5
    13 years ago

I'm new here but am doing the Barbara Brackman blocks. I love the colors!

• sunnycentralfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome ginnie5! Hope you enjoy your CW quilting...I am also following Barbara B's blog, although I have not actually cut into the CW fabrics as of yet...

Gwen