Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maritime_linda

My Most Recent Quilt

maritime_linda
11 years ago

Well, thanks to the post from Solstice98 I managed to try the picture thing. Tried it on the test forum and it seemed kind of big in the preview, but here goes.

This is a Christmas quilt that I did for a wedding this past December. I did not have time to hand quilt it myself so had a church group do it and I was very pleased with their work.

Comments (17)

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

Love the quilt! And I have that harp-back chair too. :)

Faye

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Impressive!

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Very pretty. It looks like a simple pattern that you did wonders with. The quilting is just right. I love hand quilted things and appreciate the time involved. It goes so nicely on that bed. TFS Jayne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

That's a beauty! Good job.

SharonG/FL

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

I love the white background. It makes the colored patches POP! The church group did a magnificent quilting job.

Julie

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Linda, it's beautiful! I love the quilted stars.

Donna

• User
    11 years ago

I love the rich colours against the crisp white. I'm sure it will be cherished for many years to come. And hopefully used, not hidden away!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Very dramatic and pretty pattern! It's lovely and I agree that the quilted stars are just right for the space.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

What a great design these two simple blocks have created. Love the colors.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

That's so pretty. It would be a good way to use some of the charm packs I have.

• maritime_linda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all your kind comments. I was pleased with the overall look of the quilt when I finished it. I had decided to do a snowball and nine-patch and saw a picture of one put together with white in this manner and liked the different look that it gave it. When I looked in my stash I had a lot of fabric scraps and yardage that I could use so did not have to buy a lot.

I am really feeling motivated by this forum and hoping to stick to my "work on a quilting project everyday, even if just for 5 minutes" rule. OH...to finish some WIP's so I could get at some of the projects I'd like to start!!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Linda, Thanks so much for mentioning the 2 blocks you used to make this stunning quilt. I've also seen some pictures, but yours is absolutely the prettiest!

I want your scraps! This quilt looks so cohesive and planned!

You will be amazed at what you can accomplish dedicating a few minutes everyday to the making of a block or quilt. It all adds up to something you can actually see! (Unlike cleaning for 15 mins a day - it gets messed up the next day! :)

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

It is gorgous, both the piecing and quilting look perfect!! I am also a huge fan of white in quilts.
    Rosa

• maritime_linda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, rivergirl, I guess you'd call it "controlled scrappy". The fabrics had to meet the following criterion, only red, green, gold or black could be in each piece and and the tones of each had to be the same or very similar. Also each had to have some gold glitter in it. I confess that a number of the fabrics did come from one fabric collection, but lots were just little pieces I had left from other projects. Some were fabrics I had purchased small quantities of last year at the end of the season and lucky for me, they were available this year too. There is only one fabric store where I live and one quilt shop, so we are limited. Fortunately Marden's Liquidation Store is just an hour and a bit away in Calais, Me. with lots of selection and most $3.99 yd.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Linda, I struggle with scrappy - can ya tell:)
    Your description of the criteria is great information. That is why your quilt looks so pretty!!!! And the great workmanship of course. Thanks!
    I have some of those fabrics, some leftover from a project that had the gold/glitter thread~and some I bought and did not use. I didn't know what to do with them......oh dear.....I may just have to make a version of your quilt, unless you object. :~)

• vasu_texas
    11 years ago

Linda,
    It is a lovely quilt and very cheerful. Your fabric choices are perfect.
    Vasu

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I love the quilt and the pattern, it's beautiful. I think that pattern would make a nice scrap quilt. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra