Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Four more minis done

msmeow
11 years ago

I just finished four more miniatures for the guild's auction. These have mostly been made from a bag of triangles I've saved up over time. I still have a really big pile of triangles but I'm ready to move on to something else!

This blue and white one is 11" square:

{{!gwi}}

Blue & black stripe - 12" square:

{{!gwi}}

Christmas floating stars - 13" square:

{{!gwi}}

And this Amish style one is 16" square:

{{!gwi}}

Donna

Comments (18)

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Those are so cute. Good job.

• User
    11 years ago

I don't know which one I like more - the first one on my system makes me think I'm drunk - seeing double! I love xmas prints but the Amish block is stunning and I'm partial to yellow/blue combos. The first one I keep going back to look at again - I'm still seeing double! LOL!

Great work and thank you for sharing.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

You girls are sure going gangbusters with your mini's. Nice job, Donna. Where is the quilt show held?

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Wow! You are so GOOD at this!!!

Kate

• msmeow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Sharon, the show is held at the Central Florida Fairgrounds. For the 2013 show we're renting an additional section of the exhibit building so we'll have room for a lot more quilts and we'll be doubling the number of vendors.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Donna they are really pretty. What do you use a mini-quilt for? Are they wall hangings or baby doll quilts or table centerpiece? If you take any pics at the quilt show could you upload pics here? Would love to go to a quilt show even if I can only do it virtually right now as I don't know of any my area at the moment.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Very lovely!

My favorite is the last one with the elegant border.

You must have a lot of patience to be able to work with those tiny pieces!

Julie

• msmeow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sandra, the ones I've made have hangers so they can be hung on a wall. I guess you can do whatever you want...table toppers, hot pads, wall hangings, etc. There is a lady in our guild who makes lots of really intricate miniatures and she has a lot of them framed. They look really nice that way. She says if you frame them they don't look like a potholder hanging on the wall! :)

The show isn't till next February, but I'll take pictures and post a link!

Donna

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Sandra, I think this link will show you some of the quilts from the 2011 show. They are beautiful!

Cabin Fever Quilt Guild Show 2011

Kate

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Great bunch of quilts. Thanks for the link. I love looking at show quilts and save pics from each show I go to for inspiration. Sometimes you see a color combination you hadn't thought of or a pattern you want to try.

Speaking of miniatures, I went to a local show last week and saw a group of miniatures up on a wall. I looked closely at the work and they were mostly iron-on. Someone had cut little pieces out and fused them on a foundation just as if they were pieced. Is it just me or is that cheating??

• msmeow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I would think of that as cheating, too! :) But I'm not a fan of raw edge applique, either (where you fuse a piece of fabric then straight stitch around it to hold it down), but I suppose it has its place.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Donna, how do you do your hangers on little quilts? Is it a sleeve or tabs or what?

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Love your minis. Here is one I did a few years ago I saved all my Miniature Quilting magazines

Here is a link that might be useful:

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

To clarify - they didn't stitch anything down at all on their minis - just fused little pieces like a puzzle.

Miniature quilting magazines?? That does sound interesting.

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Rather than encroach on msmeow's thred I've started a new thread calledMiniature Quilts magazine

• msmeow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So the fused ones weren't even stitched? Now I would call that cheating! LOL

Kate, I use Ami Simms' fast finish triangles on most of the minis. It's quick and easy to do along with the binding.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Fast Finish Triangles

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Thanks Donna - that really helps! I love the fast finish triangles but the pull tab is so easy and clever.

Fusing with stitching or thread painting can be nice, but fusing with no stitching at all? Cheating!!!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thanks for answering my question Donna. You've inspired me, will have to add minis to my future quilt "to do" list. Your minis are beautiful. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County