Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannykins_gw

Bad weather

nannykins
9 years ago

Anyone affected by the storms in the southern US? I hope not.
Theresa

Comments (29)

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Thankfully the nasty weather is past us here in central Louisiana and we did not lose power and had no tornadoes. I am going to sleep a whole lot better knowing it is past us.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

One of my FB friends in AR lost one of their friends in the tornado last night. He left behind a wife and 2 young girls plus their house is gone. Such devastation........sad.

I thought about you Sandra. Glad you're ok.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Sandra...glad to read all is well is LA.

Sharon...so sad....

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Oh no Sharon, that's so sad. These storms were so severe and when it hits there's just no place safe. My thoughts and prayers with all the victims.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

How painful. That's so much pain for one family.
    LindaB/CA

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Sharon, I'm sorry for your friend's loss.

We had a good ol' thunderstorm last night, but nothing worse here in central FL, though the weather report this morning said the front is headed our way.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Wherever you are, Beverly, stay safe and dry.

How are all the North Carolina people?

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

My daughter, Wendy, her son and DH are in Cleveland OH having dinner at a restaurant when a big wind comes up and takes the roof off the building next to them. Sure glad for their safety.

(Edit to say they were in Delaware OH close to Columbus and not Cleveland where the Geezer told me they were.)

SharonG/FL

This post was edited by geezerfolks on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 9:14

• Kristene Smith
    9 years ago

I've been watching the News reports on the storms you are having in the US. I think the report said 30 people have lost their lives. Such dreadful devastation.

We are expecting a really cold change these next few days here in Australia. I hope we don't get a wild and cold winter like you had in the US
    Kristene

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Sharon, I'm so glad your DD and her DH are okay! That must have been very scary for them.

I heard on the news this morning about lots of flooding in the FL panhandle. We had a downpour for a long time yesterday evening and they said more is on the way today.

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

The rain Is here in VA... has been for 2 days already. Today is expected to be the worst, with more rain (aka flooding) and winds. We're under tornado watches all day.

We will hunker down and pretend we're not ducks.

Sure would like to hear from Beverly! I haven't even seen her on Facebook, but if I hear anything, I'll let you all know.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Thanks, Donna. I think they're heading home today. We haven't gotten any rain during this time, but I'm concerned about Beverly. Parts of I-10 is closed in the Panhandle

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures around Pensacola

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

I had everyone in my thoughts and prayers too. Yesterday was windy and we had thunderstorms last night.

Our local weather says the storms will miss us except for rain for the next few days.

Stay safe everyone!

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I am worried about Beverly & her family as well! I'm hoping they have been called into work and she is safe and busy.

The last few days of this bad weather is so very scary for a large part of the country. My thoughts and best wishes for all to stay safe.

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

I hope all goes well with you in the storm affect states. I am concerned for some close friends which are leaving to come north today from the Fla. panhandle area. They with be driving thru Ga. SC.NC and Va. which is a worry. They are in their middle 80's as well.
    That has been a terrible storm so far. Sharon, I feel so bad about your friends I just hope there wont be more to suffer. Keep safe everyone.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Yesterday there were some areas of north Florida that received 26 inches of rain. Can you imagine? Roads are washed away and flooding is extensive. 26 counties have been declared disaster areas.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I was able to get in touch with one of Beverly's daughters and she says they're ok. Whew!

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

We have showers (some heavy at times), gusts of wind, and dry spells in between today in the middle of NC. There have been tornado watches east of me yesterday and today and I think one tornado touched down earlier this week. We're still cleaning up after the last ice storm in March.

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Another severe weather alert just issued for Central Florida. Winds 45-50mph, hail, heavy rain. I just called Transportation and pulled all our trucks off the road!

• jackier123
    9 years ago

The past few days have not been fun here is SE Tennessee. Tornadoes all around us but not close this time. We have rain now. Yesterday when I woke up, everything in my neighbors back yard was floating in my front yard. We had about 15 inches standing in the yards around here. Everyone is safe though and that is all that matters.

Jackie

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Boy, bad doesn't even cover how awful the weather is treating people. My sympathies to those affected and lots of positive thoughts to carry you safely through the storms.

LindaB/CA

• bev2009
    9 years ago

I can't imagine looking at 15" of water in your yard. I'm glad everyone here is safe, but it is very sad to hear of the people who were lost.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I had a slow day at work, so I checked the maps on the internet looking for town names of our garden web quilting guild...At least from what I could tell, most of the town names I knew were somewhat away from the flooding ... nice to read tonight that most of us are just plain soggy. Hope we all reasonably dry out this coming weekend.

Stay safe,
    V.

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

Our day is actually worse than yesterday, but this is reported to be the end of the storms. We have thunder and lightening, but nothing like Florida has.

Fingers crossed that this is the last of the bad weather for a while.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Thanks Sharon and Littlehelen. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this bad weather.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Just cold (upper 30's) and rainy here in Minneapolis. I'm so glad that our little GW group has escaped the worst of the storms. Take care everyone, and heed the tornado sirens when they sound. I heard a program on public radio this morning that spoke of how complacent so many folks have gotten because the sirens sound too often or for too large an area. Be smart and stay safe.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Thanks for thinking of us. We were on a bike ride in north Florida (Cherry Lake) and had no internet service, and little phone service. We got lots of rain and missed 2 days riding, but that was about all. Pensacola was hit really hard, but by the time it got to us it was mostly rain.

There were tornadoes all around my parent's, but they are ok. The weather has been so different the past few years. So much damage, my prayers are for all those affected.

beverly

• msmeow
    9 years ago

We had steady rain all day yesterday, with several heavy downpours, and it's still raining this morning. Retention ponds in the area are very full, and I expect many people will have pools overflowing. We are in an elevated area (well, elevated for Florida! LOL It's downhill from us to Lake Apopka.) so we shouldn't have any flooding.

Donna

• Kristene Smith
    9 years ago

Bad weather has continued over here in Australia. We had our first snowfall on Sat May 3rd - very early this year. Perhaps it's a sign we're going to have a long & cold winter this year.

Kristene