Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Pleated Purse

K8Orlando
11 years ago

I don't normally buy patterns for quilts or other sewing projects but I couldn't resist the Raspberry Ripple pattern by Melly & Me.

I started last night by cutting out a few pieces but did most of the cutting and all the sewing today. A fun weekend project! I like the bag so much that I think I'll be making more in other colors.

I even put in a zipper! I don't think I've done a zipper since high school sewing class!

Kate

Comments (20)

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Kate...it's very cute! like the button...

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

That's really cute. I hate zippers too! I failed home EC the semester that taught sewing in 9th grade - the teacher wouldn't take the time to show me how to use the machine and I hated her. (We moved right at the start of the semester and I missed like two weeks at the beginning.) Never did learn how to do a zipper. I even failed the apron. Now I love to sew although clothes construction does not interest me at all. It's ironic that my grandmother was a professional seamstress, she made entire wardrobes for people, she could make mens' suits, slipcovers, drapes, you name it. I never learned anything from her because I hated being cooped up inside, only wanted to run wild with the boys in the woods, climbing trees and shooting BB guns and bows and arrows. I could kick myself for not taking advantage of such a talented person's skills.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Very cute purse! I have a totebag pattern with similar 'openings' on the outside to show a different fabric.

I have a purse pattern that I seriously want to try with a jelly roll, but alas. I have to get my challenge done first.

Oh, and pictures for everyone here who's hounding me!! LOL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Kate, that's a really cute purse! I may have to borrow the pattern! :D

Donna

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna, you can see it at the next guild meeting!

• polardream
    11 years ago

What a cute purse! You did a really nice job and I love that button. I buy patterns for bags and then never get them done ...
    Sue

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just had to share this: I walked into work this morning and the very first person who saw me said "Wow, I love that purse! Where did you get it?" (Oh this little old thing? I just threw it together this weekend out of some fabric scraps. LOL)

• day2day
    11 years ago

Lovely purse, Kate. I like those fabrics.

Took me a while but I found the pattern for sale.
    I will be ordering it this morning.
    Thanks for posting.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

So, You're having a great Monday Morning after that compliment! Very cute purse.
    Are those buttons on the bottom of the straps?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't think of a link. I added one here.
    Your local quilt store might have the pattern too. The designer/brand is "Melly and Me".

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Ripple purse pattern

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, they are buttons, but just decorative and sewn on top of the strap.
    When I took my machine in for service, I had to look at the sale rack in the quilting section. They had this big print on the black background and I instantly knew I wanted it for the purse pattern. This store also has the best selection of buttons in the area so I always have to check there, too. I saw these and knew I had to have them for the bag. They look like they were made to go with the fabric!

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

I don't normally buy patterns for quilts or other sewing projects...
    Wow! You are definitely a talented quilter if you can design your own projects...can save a lot of $$$ too!

Gorgeous purse...love the pleats and bold fabric.
    I had to look a few times to find the zipper (bad eyes here,) but I see it in the third pic. Looks like it's on an inside pocket or divider? Yes, that would be tricky. You did a great job! I love purses with lots of pockets inside and out.

Is the handle reinforced with batting?

Julie

• lola99
    11 years ago

Very nice purse, Kate! Great story about how your day started. :)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julie,
    I started quilting long before I knew anything about it. No books, no classes, not even any magazines. I din't know how much I didn't know! My experienced quilting friend is always amazed that I don't recognize the names of famous quilters, but I didn't even know there WERE famous contemporary quilter. This forum was my first exposure to a group of quilters and almost everything I know I learned right here. In 2007 I was still afraid to try a Half Square Triangle! See how much you all have taught me?

But I love the design part and have always had graph paper and colored pencils around. I'll never make all the quilts I have in my head.

You guessed right about the zippered part of this bag. The inside is three compartments, two open ones and a zippered one in the center. The center is constructed like an inside out purse, then folded into the bag once the top edges are sewn together. You just leave an open space in the bottom of all the inside compartments and stitch it closed by hand after inverting all the parts. Sounds complicated but it makes sense when you do it. I learned my lesson when making the teddy bear and actually read all the directions before doing this project!!!

The handles are supposed to have just interfacing ironed on the backside of the fabric but since I used laminated cotton I didn't do that. They are plenty sturdy enough without it. When I do the next one and don't use the laminated stuff, I will use interfacing and maybe even some batting. I don't like flimsy handles.

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Well, Kate I applaud you for your design talent.

Inverting all the parts isn't complicated sounding at all. I did the same thing with the two purses I made (and posted) a while back. It's almost like magic the way it all comes out right.

Laminated cotton? That's a new one to me! I like sturdy handles too!

Thanks for your response:)

Julie

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

Love the purse. Your color choices are outstanding. Haven't bought a purse in over five years, make all of them and am always on the lookout for a new pattern. Thanks for the link will keep my eye peeled for the Raspberry Ripple.
    I especially like the shape....not too boxy or too structured.
    Excellent job!

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I love the purse, Kate. I didn't know there was such a thing as laminated fabric either. The LQS around the corner from me has a purse class once a month. I thought it would be fun to go, but don't have a traveling machine. But once I get one...look out. I think I bought a pattern last year while traveling, if so, maybe I'll give it a try on my own.

• calliope
    11 years ago

It's a fantastic purse. I'm not a frou-frou girlie girl and carry a purse begrudgingly........but that one sure caught my eye. The fabric is perfect for that design. Explain to us laminated fabric. It's a new one on me as well.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Really cute!!! I started one last summer and haven't finished it yet, it's still laying on my table.

Maybe I shoukd finish it!!!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Calliope, I started a new post on 'laminated cotton fabric' so it wouldn't get lost here in this thread. I added a link below.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: New post: Laminated Cotton Fabric

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor