Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

last ufo is now an fo....wahoo!

calliope
10 years ago

Roberta's Jewel Box, a last year lotto block pattern was started last fall, finished through the winter and the completed top lay in a neat little stack staring at me until the guilt motivated me to finish it. I promisd myself that I'd start no more quilts until I cleaned up the backlog. It's a fait accompli now.

Comments (19)

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I love it!

Jackie

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Looks great...well done!!!
    V.

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful! That is one of my favorite block patterns.
    Linda OH

• calliope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, but mostly I'm just glad to have no quilts waiting in the wings to be completed! There are some dancing around in my mind..........but it'll be nice not to have two or three projects in the fire at the same time. How do we get in those situations? Only someone on this forum would not raise an eyebrow to know I have two machines set up in tandem in the sewing room and go back and forth between them so I don't have to change threads or attachements. LOL. I'd be two embarrassed to admit it to anyone other than another quilter. This is an amazing quilt to eat up SCRAPS!

• susan_on
    10 years ago

I love it!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Calliope, It looks perfect right there! Gorgeous!

I have 2 machines set up....one with dark and one with light thread. I don't think that's so odd....or weird....or lazy, or anything else. In fact, I think it's a pretty smart move! *grin*

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I think it's a beautiful, scrappy jewel box quilt. It's on my future quilting to do list. Thanks for sharing a pic!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I just love Jewel Box and that is a beauty. I wish I knew how it felt to be finished.

beverly

• day2day
    10 years ago

I love the JB pattern. Yours is beautiful.

I finished one...many years ago...and always wanted to do another.

I also plan to get all the UFOs done before attempting anything new. Trouble is, if I can't start something new, I get bored with finishing the UFOs. It's a vicious circle!

Congratulations to you for getting all those UFOs finished.
    TFS.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Congratulations on finishing. It's beautiful. That pattern is more beautiful when it's scrappy.

Yes, we all understand having two machines set up - and should I say, sometimes three? I wish I could say I have only two UFOs. I seem to finish a top and then throw it in a drawer if it hasn't a home. I should drag them all out and send them off to a longarmer and be done. Then I'd only have a big pile needing bindings.

But, you inspire me to finish things.

• Karenfae
    10 years ago

it is nice to get caught up on your quilting. I have 4 waiting in line and that is almost 5 as I just have a border to add on one of them and then it to will go in the stack. Lovely jewel box quilt I have thought to make one for years and never get to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilts...etc.

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• calliope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, first off I want to thank GrammyP (beverly) her post STASH REDUCTION CHALLENGE got the ball rolling. Not that I don't have stash to reduce but I like my stash and take it out and touch it like Silas Marner, and I don't have weight I want to reduce, so I set my goal to reduce half-finished projects.

I think Day2Day hit the nail on the head when she said.......' Trouble is, if I can't start something new, I get bored with finishing the UFOs. It's a vicious circle!' Yes, I think it's a boredom factor and the need for the rush starting something new gives me.

I am going through the smaller stash now and shall turn on the mangle and do like vacuum freak did and press them and set them back in the drawers. It will get me familiar in what I have to work with, and I shall work with the smaller than cuts of yardage stuff first and get it into blocks of HSTs. That way I can have a little project anytime I want to work in the sewing room with no particular committment, and then when I do start another quilt all the grunt work is finished. We all know having a gazillion HSTs on hand they'll never be wasted.

Next on the agenda is a depression block quilt and I can thank K8 in orlando for that inspiration. I have taken away soooo much from this quilt group, not the least of which is encouragement. Thanks gals!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Beautiful quilt, Calliope. What a great use of scraps. And finishing all your UFOs is quite an accomplishment too. Congratulations on both counts.

• fran1523
    10 years ago

That was well worth the wait. Beautiful quilt.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Very nice! Congrats on finishing it!
    Donna

• Vanislegirl88
    10 years ago

This pattern is on my someday "to-do" list. It is beautiful.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Beautiful!
    I too have my sewing machines set up side by side. One's the straight stitch for free motion. I use the other for piecing and move it out of the way if I'm working on a big quilt. Problem is, I haven't finished quilting my recent one because it's so much fun to make blocks for this forum. This time I missed the deadline with two cut out and one partially finished!

Give yourself a double pat on the back for stash use and completing, not just a block, but a big quilt! Bravo.

• anitastitch
    10 years ago

Congratulations! And what a beautiful quilt!
    Can't wait to finish my ufo's--so I can start some new projects.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH