15 years ago

I found these free patterns at QNM

From top to bottom Alaska Star, Connecticut Star, Ohio Star

Suellen

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 State Star Block Variations

Comments (16)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Weird! I'm quilting up a round robin top and the corners of the last border have that Ohio Star. It's an interesting block and I wondered where my friend Judy found it.

Annie

• gillian_41
    15 years ago

Its in Carol Doak's book "50 Fabulous PP Stars" I have the book it has a star for each state.
    Gillian.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Thanks, Gillian, I bet Judy got it from Carol's book.

Annie

• laurainsdca
    15 years ago

HEY, I have Carol's book -- AND the CD which is super handy. I looked at those and thought -- those look like Carol Doak patterns... Sure enough.

I LOVE that bottom one. WOW how striking. Funny 'cause I've looked at her stars so many times and that one never jumped out at me at all. I will have to go look again and see if it is the colors used.

THANKS FOR POSTING!

• gillian_41
    15 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures of a quilt I,m working on now from Carol Doak's book "40 Bright & Bold Blocks" named Beth's Block, also added a picture of a quilt I just finished from "Quiltville" named "Pinepple Blossom" after this picture I put a thin white border then a wider purple one.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Gillian.

• day2day
    15 years ago

The Pineapple Blossom is so bright and cheery. Looks like a lot of work. The fabrics in Beth's Block are fantastic.I'd like to see a picture of the top when you get it finished.TFS.
    ~Geraldine

• nana24
    15 years ago

Suellen, Thanks for the site. I have not PP much lately but think I'll start doing some more.

Gillian, both your patterns are pretty. The Pineapple Blossom is so pretty and I can see the purple border would really set it off.

TFS
    Sally

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

They are beautiful quilts. I do not do paper piecing well but love the detail one can achieve with the technique. The fabric in Beth's Block is perfect for the pattern. The pineapple quilt is lovily, too. TFS. Jayne

• suellen_delawares
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really like the colors you picked for both of them. Question on the Pineapple Blossom quilt, was it PP? and did you use batik fabric in it? You are a very talented quilter. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.
    Suellen

• gillian_41
    15 years ago

The Pineapple Blossom is batik fabric and very easy to make its not PP, you can find the pattern on "quiltville.com" I think with PP, one either loves it or hates it.
    Gillian.

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

They are all 3 gorgeous but I HAVE TO make the Alaska Star.
    I love your Pineapple Blossom Gillian and the blocks you are working on.
    I have PP'd a lap quilt and it makes beautiful stars, I don't know if I would enjoy a larger PP'd quilt.
    Rosa

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

I checked out her books on the Net and she does have some beautiful patterns.

• day2day
    15 years ago

Rosajoe, I also like the Alaska Star. I really should jump right in and try PP. I might even enjoy it. Thanks Suellen,for posting the pics and the link.
    ~Geraldine

• gillian_41
    15 years ago

Just reading about the the "Alaska Star" PP it has 104 pieces in each 12" block, will have to agree it is pretty but will be alot of of cutting and sewing.
    Gillian.

• suellen_delawares
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gillian, Thanks for posting about the book, Carol Doak's book "40 Bright & Bold Blocks" I really like Beth's Star. I went on ebay and have a bid on the book. The auction ends in 2days so I have to wait.
    Suellen

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

I love that Pineapple blossom! I have made two of them and LOVE the pattern. Yours is great in those colors.

Vicky~

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz