Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you planning to quilt this weekend? April 19-21

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I will be leaving for quilt group in about an hour. We are working on a quilt for Relay for Life. I hope to get the blocks squared up tonight. We are going to meet on Sat. afternoon to add sashing and put the top together. I am the person who will quilt it so I hope to get the top finished soon.
Today I worked on a trio of quiltlets. I bought the pattern last year at the Columbus AQS show. It is fusible applique. I have each piece ready for the top stitching.
Are you planning to sew or quilt this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (18)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Linda, It sounds like you'll have a quilt to quilt by next week. Not sure what I'll be quilting over the week-end, but something. I'm hoping to have the ZigZag binding all sewn on tomorrow. It's already sewn to the back and now just sewing to the front needs to be done. Maybe I'll sandwich another quilt so I can play with this way of doing a binding again. :-)

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Linda, what's a quiltlet? A small quilt? A quilt w/o batting? Curious minds.... :)

I hope to get some sewing in. My DB and DSisIL are coming down so we plan to go to Lakeland Sat. to see them and mom. I should be able to sew in between loads of laundry on Sunday! I've got one side left to hand-sew on the Blackford Beauty quilt binding, then my next project is some BD blocks for another group.

Donna

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna, a quiltlet is a small quilt. Here is a link to the pattern. I am making the "My Favorite Things" trio of quiltlets.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: My favorite things quiltlets

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I just looked at my calendar and not a thing on it, so I will definitely be quilting as well as shopping for fabric for a baby quilt. DD will be home next weekend and I want to have her quilt hanging on the wall when she walks in the door.

• polardream
    11 years ago

I am going to sandwich and start quilting a charity quilt.We just found out that DS wants us to watch his dog this weekend so will have 2 dogs to walk (the snow is starting to melt - hurrah!) Might also try to put more scraps together ... working on reducing.

Sue

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Quilt show season has started in my area so a group of us are going to a show tomorrow morning. I am going to a retreat next weekend so am trying to get a few projects precut. When 18 quilters get together in one room, cutting errors happen so if I get the cutting done at home I will not waste so much fabric...lol.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I must get the top to the president's quilt done this weekend. I'm hoping to be able to take it to the meeting on Monday night to show the membership...Trish is cruising with other Santas this week so won't be at the meeting.

I am still waiting on someone to get me a lighthouse to put into the top, but hopefully that will come soon. I need to see everything together, and then decide what I need to add. I think there will be some open spaces that need to be filled with something...

• calliope
    11 years ago

Well, since the beautiful, sunny weather we were treated to yesterday morphed into cold, wet rain for the weekend, why not? I am just sort of pacing myself doing a FMQ tightly spaced meander on a nine foot by seven foot Jewel box quilt and today saw me 2/3 done. Since I use a conventional sewing machine, with a tiny "harp" there is no way I'm doing it in one section. I don't want to jinx it, but so far it's looking good, with the back as neat as the front with no geeky-looking curves or puckers. You all told me that one gets the hang of it if they just relax and go with the flow.......and by gummy it's true. Tomorrow, I sandwich and pin the final section so I can start working on it. It's my LAST UFO and as soon as it's done, I'm painting the sewing room. The ugly paisley wallpaper is history.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

My goodness - the last UFO? I'm so proud of you. You inspire me.

I am doing a little applique at my desk job and then there are two local quilt shows in the area to go to. They aren't the big ones but always offer a few ideas and nice people. Maybe I'll be inspired to tackle my dozens of UFOs.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I am "unquilting". Several years ago I made a Jewel Box quilt for daughter #1. After a few years, one of the fabrics began to fray, wherever it was in the quilt. I took it home and replaced that green. Then I started to put it back together, got frustrated and tossed it on the sofa in the basement. Well, the cat loves it. But I decided to finish it properly and so I have spent a couple of days picking out the nylon thread that I used for quilting.
    Hopefully I don't give up this time.
    Several friends suggested it would have been easier to make a new quilt, but she liked that one.
    Theresa

• jackier123
    11 years ago

I am finally back from a long work trip and have a free weekend. I have been working on Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt "Easy Street" today. I have finished parts 1 and 2 and started on 3. I changed the colors around as this is going to be a quilt for my bed.
    This afternoon, my husband and I will probably start re-upholstering our boat seats. I purchased the marine vinyl last week. It is almost good fishing weather here, so we need to get this done soon.

Jackie

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I have been spending most of my time at home pulling weeds, repotting, and mulching. Our weather is already starting to inch up to the 80s and I know that next month is going to be warm so I have to get as much done now as I can.

I volunteered for a spaghetti dinner benefit for a 25 yo burn victim and his family. Standing on cement for 6 hours and then washing dishes for 2 more really made me tired!

During the week we spent a lot of time working on charity quilts for our special needs homes. I'll probably start the bindings on some this weekend.

My own special quilt I was making for a lovely young lady is still on the back burner for now.
    Rosa

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our quilt group met this afternoon to finish the top of the Relay quilt. There were five of us and we had it all together in about 2 hours. I also finished the trio of quiltlets. It feels great to accomplish my goals for the weekend!
    Linda OH

• petalpatsy
    11 years ago

I did one side and two corners of my new brown binding a bit at a time and it looked great, so I went ahead and put the quilt in my Q-snap floor frame and carefully basted the rest into place with a quarter inch running stitch. I cut the binding even to join with a quarter inch seam. I back stitched a few feet of it securely into place and blind stitched it down. I noticed that my convex curves were now cupping a lot. I picked out and undid it all back to the 'looks great' stage, cut my joined binding, cut out the short end piece and replaced it with a longer piece to give me the length I'll need to avoid that cupping. I picked out all the little snipped threads, and vacuumed up all the evidence. I re-ironed the binding, tape rolled off all the dog hair, and re-rolled it neatly into a ziplock bag.

Not only that, I stepped on a toothpick in the carpet and had to go get a TDap booster, so my foot and arm are sore. I colored my hair four times and had to go to the bank for money while it was still fairly orange. It frosted last night to 30 degrees when the weather service predicted low of 36 and killed the tomato plants I'd put out, which I didn't check on until 3AM because I was in a zombie daze while I was picking out all that hand work.

I'll just mosey on back to my chair and put last week out of my mind (for any number of reasons.)

This post was edited by petalpatsy on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 17:49

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I had more of an embroidery weekend. I went to a John Deer 2-day camp/seminar. It was a lot of fun. We worked in groups and did about 10 projects. A few of which were new techniques, but most was stuff I've already done. They had some beautiful quilts hanging on the walls with embroidered blocks in them. Very inspirational from that point! And of course, I bought some stuff!! I will show some pictures when it all comes in

I was able to get in a little quilting yesterday around church and laundry. I just about have one project finished (wall hanging). I have the top done and getting ready to sandwich it. As soon as it's quilted I'll post some pictures.

Robbi

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I had a great Saturday. Including travel time, I spent five hours at two different quilt shops choosing fabric for two new quilts. I needed fourteen fabrics for one quilt and fifteen for the other. While I was auditioning fabrics, another shopper came up to me and asked to see what I was doing. She started helping, and we had a great time. She picked really good fabrics that I had overlooked, and I bet we spent almost two hours together. When we left, I asked if she wanted to go get a Coke or coffee, but she had another appointment. As she pulled out, she stopped and ran back to my car. She had seen the yacht club sticker on my car and asked what boat I sailed on. It turns out that she is the older daughter of one of my best sailing friends and rivals. It's such a small world, isn't it?

And, Sharon, this is pay-back for the day I spent all your money finding fabric for you.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Lois, I can feel how happy you are about your shopping experience. Can't beat that for payback fun!!! I felt the same way when I was shopping with you. And then, to find how she's connected to your yacht club...I'll bet you were just doing a happy dance all the way home. lol

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    10 years ago

Ok, since I'm a country gal, please Robbi........explain your John Deere seminar. My brain is zeroing in on lovely green tractors and you're talking quilts?