Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Does this need a border?

Just finished getting this together....Currently, this is approx 53"x 68" (not that it matters) but was wondering if it would look finished without a border. I don't know that I've ever done that, but when I searched other ZigZag's, most of them didn't have borders. This is for the boy that asked his mother if she thought I would make him another quilt but longer and wider. His mom said he sleeps every night with the quilt I gave her when he was born.

SharonG/FL

Comments (13)

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I like borders, I think I would do a border in the blue tones you already have in the quilt, will really make the edges of the orange and white pop and compliment the greens. It's a beautiful quilt! I have never seen a zig zag quilt before, TFS!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I think either the blue or the dark green would make a nice border. Or maybe even a black border?

Teresa

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

I'm inclined to say, just binding, maybe in the bright blue. I know you could work really hard and make a wonderful border, but I think it looks good as is too.
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think y'all are right...it should have a border on it. I was thinking blue, too. I would do black, but it's difficult to deal with black right now. If I don't have enough blue, I'll use green.

Thank you......

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Good suggestions already given. Whatever colour you do will be great!
    Theresa
    PS A really effective use of colours in this pattern. Bravo!

This post was edited by nannykins on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 20:52

• calliope
    11 years ago

I'd do a wide border in a deep primary. Sort of like the matte in a framed picture. It would make those fabrics just pop, and also give the eye a place to rest. It's a fine quilt, it is!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I think a border would be fine, but I also think just a dark binding would work too. A border would give the quilt a more traditional look; just binding, a more modern look. Either way, you can't go wrong. It's a great looking quilt, Sharon. Very nice work.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found a sort of bright med/dark blue Kona in the drawer, laid it out on the floor next to the top with a narrow strip of white to serve as a flange next to a green binding. DH about swooned and said, 'The girls are righ!.' Now, to see how wide of a blue border I can get out of that blue. lol It does look pretty snappy! :-)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic binding

• bev2009
    11 years ago

The quilt is so bold and bright, it just makes you happy. I can't wait to see it.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't hardly wait either, Bev! I had just enough blue to give it a 4" finished border and it's on, but I think I've pretty much hit the limit with sewing today. I might pull out the batting and see what I have to use for backing though. A quilter can always find something to do with fabric. lol

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    11 years ago

Sharon, a blue binding will be great. I love that tutorial you posted - can't wait to try it!
    Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Sharon - I was 'going to say' - no binding for a more modern look-- BUT-- your border combination and binding with the flange is very modern! I can't wait to see it finished.
    I also love the tutorial. Since I sew most of my bindings by machine, this technique is right up my alley. I will definitely be trying this in the future -Thank you.

Great news on Katie -- keeping Katie and family in my prayers.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I vote for a blue border but think an inter narrow border in white would make it "pop". Very nice and great for a boy. What ever you do will look great. TFS