Here is Blackford's Beauty finally done:

Here's the block and sashing quilting:

And the border quilting:

And I also finally finished this Bavarian crochet baby blanket:

Donna

Comments (17)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

That is one gorgeous quilt!!! and the quilting is superb! I toyed with the idea of using this pattern for the wedding quilt I did two years ago but chickened out. Maybe the next one...
    What is different about Bavarian crochet than regular??
    Theresa

• msmeow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Theresa! The BB blocks were easy to make, just lots of pieces in each. :)

I don't know why it's called Bavarian crochet. It's a two row pattern of treble crochet.

Donna

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

Excellent job on both blankets!

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

That's just lovely. I don't usually do scrappy unless I can control the colors but yours is just great.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Lookin' good! I love the scrappy stars.
    LindaB/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Donna,
    I don't crochet, so can't really comment ~ except to say it is beautiful and I love the colors you chose and it looks cozy!

The Blackford's Beauty quilt - is perfect and I know how much work you put into this quilt! All those pieces! Your quilting is very, very well done & thoughtful - love the variegated thread. I know how hard it is to accomplish this beautiful quilting with a small throat and you did a wonderful job! You should be very pleased.

Very nice gift - you must be anxious to present it, I know I would be :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Hooray for you, Donna! You have great sticktoitiveness. What a great job on your quilt. I've done that crochet stitch before but didn't know it was called Bavarian. I'm still learning things. :-)

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Lovely work on both of your projects, Donna. You must be very pleased with the results.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Lovely! I've always loved the Blackford's Beauty block and your quilt is a wonderful example. The baby blanket is very nice, also. I admire those who can crochet so well.....I only got as far as learning to shell stitch around flannel for receiving blankets for infants.

Teresa

• day2day
    11 years ago

Gorgeous quilt! I like the colors you chose for the scrappy stars.
    I've always loved this block but have never had the nerve to try it.
    You did a great job on both projects.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Love the quilt!! Especially the quilting. I'm very envious :-) I also can't crochet (but I can knit). I'm always in awe of anything crocheted. Beautiful!!

Robbi

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I love the Blackford's Beauty and the way you quilted it!

Gorgeous baby blanket! I find crochet and knitting very relaxing. I've made two for Christmas gifts and I started a ruffle scarf for me. It's a pain and I like the way it looks, but I'm glad it's a quick project.
    Rosa

• lola99
    11 years ago

Beautiful quilt and baby blanket. I can't believe you finished both this month. You are very productive! Your quilting looks very good. TFS

• kiendu
    11 years ago

Love them both! Especially love the crochet... wish I knew how to do that!

BTW.. your quilting looks great! Do you have a long arm, or is that all free motion? Great Job!

• msmeow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much! It was nice to get 2 big projects finished. :)

I have a Juki machine (9" arm) on a Hinterberg frame. It's mostly freehand...for the blocks I used a stencil traced on paper then pinned the paper to the quilt and stitched through it, so not entirely free hand. :) But the feathers and leaves are free hand.

Rosa, this crochet was so "relaxing" (boring) that I kept dozing off! LOL

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your accomplishments, both are beauties! I really appreciate your FMQ, it looks great!
    My Mom was a big crocheter (if there is such a word) and I still treasure the cream colored, fisherman's net afghan she made for me 35 years ago. I tried, but did not get the hang of it, counting stitches and keeping an even stitch length were not for me......Well done!
    V.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I think your quilt looks great. I love to crochet too so I really like the baby blanket you made.

Best to you,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville