Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? April 13-15

lindaoh_gw
12 years ago

This morning two friends and I went to the LQS. We needed fabric to make quilts for the 2 soldiers from our area who were injured in Afghanistan recently. Last night at our quilt group meeting we decided on patterns for the quilts. We all brought ideas and our r/w/b fabrics. We plan to meet tomorrow afternoon and begin working on the quilts.

Are you quilting this weekend?

Linda OH

Comments (19)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I'm planning to dust off the Juki and load a quilt on the frame. I haven't quilted on the frame since Dec. so poor Mr. Juki is feeling neglected.

DH says I have to go clothes shopping with him on Sunday, which will also entail him taking me out to dinner! :)

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Linda, What patterns did your group decide on for the QOV quilts?

Donna, Of course, dinner out for clothes shopping sounds like a good thing. lol

I plan to be working on the dreaded Uncle J's Tie quilt. You all are tired of hearing about it and I'm tired of writing about it......but I've decided to do something cool in the corners, so I'm also a little excited about it!

SharonG/FL

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

I now have my dining room table back....we layed laminate flooring in the DR last weekend then I was away for a couple of days....so can finish my fabric postcards. They are a few days late getting into the mail so must go out by Monday.
    I was supposed to go to a friend's house today to use her longarm but she had to get her car fixed. Will rebook to get that done.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Mary

• polardream
    12 years ago

I'm going to a "one-stop shop hop" tomorrow with a friend. It will be fun to spend the day visiting shops from all over Colorado and some from Wyoming. I am tearing apart some blocks for a Double Irish chain that I measured and cut incorectly. Fortunately, they are too big, not too small. A pain, but it could be worse. I'm having fun being re-acquainted with my sewing machine.
    Sue

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I'm hoping to get a 18"x18" challenge quilt done, and I've loaded a quilt on the frame. I hope to get that quilted as well.

A few family activities to keep me busy too!

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon, we are making a R/w/b Irish chain for the nephew of our quilting friend. Someone brought in a patriotic panel and we plan to make pieced borders to put around the panel for the second soldier. We plan to make a third quilt when we finish the first two.We want to have one ready if it is needed.
    Linda

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

A good friend decided to take me along as we went looking for quilt fabric. Our target is one LQS with the largest amount of batiks, about 60 feet or so of shelves just packed. She found what she wanted and I (who has more fabric than the store) found some I couldn't live without. With no project in mind I had to buy half yards of 6 coordinated colors and another yard of another and now they are laying here staring at me and wondering what I think I can make with half yards.

So, while I ponder, I will put together my dresden wall hanging and make a few depression blocks for the next quilt.

I have a class next Saturday so will also gather and cut pieces for a wild pineapple block pattern by Freddy Moran, a local favorite.

I have workmen here all morning so that's my chance to sew since I can't do much else. Looking forward to my Saturday.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

LOL - I can never resist the batiks either! What color(s) did you get?

Tonight I came home from work and made one more mini so I'm up to three completed! Tomorrow is a busy family day but Sunday my quilter friend is bringing her machine over and we're going to have a sewing day, working on more minis for the guild show. I'm sure some wine will be involved but we are hoping to each do at least 2 little quilts.

I'm disappointed but I'm not going to get the picnic quilt done this weekend even though DH bought tickets to the jazz picnic thing at the last minute. I KNEW I should have finished the quilt a few weeks ago but I let myself get distracted by other projects.

Kate

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Working on a Jacob's Ladder. lap sized quilt. It is in many shades of green, trying to clean out my "green box".
    Theresa

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Oh, Theresa, I can't wait to see that one! It sounds lovely.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Theresa, I like your idea of cleaning out your green box. Reds, blues, greens, yellows, purples, turquoises, pinks, oranges, browns......with trying to get UFO's completed, I shouldn't even be considering it!

Went to DGD's concert last night where she had a couple vocal solos .....she split her dress so I brought it home with me and will be sewing that up today before her performance tonight.

SharonG/FL

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Today I finished my taxes and will be heading out to the post office tomorrow to mail them, and I think I'll just take that 50% off coupon from joanns along with me! I have tomorrow off from work, so who knows? Maybe I'll be able to "squeeze" in some time for me and my machine! That'll be nice!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Well last weekend I finished sewing together my Grandma's queensize quilt top, still have the border to make for it. And last week I got a large sage green king sheet for the backing, but still need to go to Hancocks this week and get 3 spools of hand quilting sage green thread. Yesterday I made plastic templates for my April Lotto blocks. So tonight and this week will be making my Lotto blocks.

And I was delighted to find baby sprouts of giant zinnia and cosmos in my garden this week that my son and I planted. Last year we had awful drought and lost all of my annuals. So far this year we have had good rains so am very thankful for that and am hoping I have annual blooms and am able to collect seeds to replenish my seedbox this year. Since we did not have much of a winter in Louisiana this year the bugs and fire ants are bad and the snakes are really bad with it being so warm. Already killed 2 snakes in the garage this year and apparently I now have a 2 1/2 ft long resident chicken snake in my 16 ft x 20 ft flowerbed it seems to have a hole somewhere amongst my best daylilies, so I have not gotten up the nerve to try and dig and divide daylilies this year. And everywhere locally is sold out of mothballs which run snakes, hopefully local stores will restock soon.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jackier123
    12 years ago

When I was in Salt Lake a few weeks ago, I visited a shop called American Quilting. They had just started a block of the month called 'Farmer in the Dell'. I joined the BOM, they ship me the pattern and material each month. I have been working to catch up with the March and April blocks which I am doing hand applique. It is hard for me as I have diabetic neuropathy in my fingers, but I just think of it as therapy. LOL

Jackie

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

My quilting day on Sunday resulted in two more mini quilts almost done. Pieced, sandwiched, quilted - now I just need to sew the binding on the back by hand and add a few beads.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

We went camping this past weekend at Fall Creek Falls, Pikeville, TN. Absolutely a perfect weekend! There were 12 of us total and we had a great time. But, I didn't get much quilting done. Too much biking, hiking and enjoying each others company. This weekend, we'll stay home and the weather is calling for rain and cool, so I hope to get caught up (is there such a thing????).

Robbi

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Well, I ended up not doing much sewing at all. Just not in the mood, I guess. I did load my quilt and it's about 1/3 quilted, and I worked on my big cross stitch project. But mostly I just took it easy, read, napped, etc. :)

Donna

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I quilted a baby quilt for a new nephew who was born April 12 and just need to hand stitch the binding. Five members of our quilt group met on Sat. afternoon and we cut out the Irish Chain quilt for the wounded soldier and divided it into blocks which we took home to sew. I made 6 blocks.
    I think I had a rather productive weekend.
    Linda OH

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Okay, so I didn't get much sewing done. But I did install and plumb in two new sinks under the new counter. What a job. Replacing old plumbing always takes a few work arounds. Had to invent one new tool as one nut was recessed into a wall. I'm glad that's all done.

Hope my week will yield more sewing, hopefully tomorrow. My new batiks (a slate blue green color, Kate) are still laying there staring at me. So much fabric, so little time.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville