Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? April 4-6

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

Not much quilting for me this week. We have been visiting all our grandbabies. We went to Columbus on Tuesday to visit our DD and family. Little Samantha is growing so fast! She is up to 16 or 17 lbs. and full of smiles. She will be 4 months on the 10th.
On Thursday we left from Columbus to go to Dayton to see our DS and family. DDIL and baby are home and feeling much better. DDIL was given 6 units of blood following the delivery. She had a 3 inch tear in her cervix so had surgery to repair it. The Dr. said her recovery has been miraculous. Thanks for all the prayers.
I don't think I'll do much sewing this weekend. I need to rest and get caught up at home then I'll be working on the t-shirt quilt. I have all the shirts ready for assembly.
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (15)

• User
    10 years ago

I am quilting this weekend making granny square quilt blocks and may make some plastic templates for my SBS quilt blocks. We are thankful that during last night's storm we did not have any tornadoes or power outages, God was watching over us. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• polardream
    10 years ago

Maybe a little ... we have our church group at our house tomorrow night (24 people!) and small group on Sunday for lunch (8 people) so I need to get cooking! Both are potlucks, but we do the main dish and I am making kabobs (whatever possessed me to make kabobs for 32 people????)

Anyway, In between I hope to finish piecing a RIcky TIms caveman quilting wallhanging and sandwich 2 baby quilts. We will see ...
    Sue

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Still working on string blocks. Up to 31 with enough bits and pieces to do 131 ( or more).
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Linda, Am really happy to hear your DDIL is home and doing well.

Sandra, I thought of you last night and wondered how the weather was in your neighborhood. Had said a prayer for your protection.

Sue, You and Toby are so active in entertaining....yeah, what were you thinking to make kabobs for 32 people! Glutton for punishment, you are. :-)

I will probably be sewing......might sew those Blue Ridge Beauty blocks together, or at least get a good start on them. I've made a couple of Chiclet blocks using purple Kona for background and scrappy 2 1/2 inch squares, so will probably start a few more of those.

Have a fun and relaxing week-end everyone.

SharonG/FL

• User
    10 years ago

Thank you Sharon, your prayer is much appreciated.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I am quilting this weekend. I plan to get this Celtic Solstice completed and off the frame! I am also just about finished cutting up all my scraps. In between things, when I get bored, I have been making 4.5 inch string neutral string blocks. I have about a hundred of of them now. Evenutally they will go into a quilt. The strings just keep growning though!

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I am!! I'm quilting the last 2 borders of the Labyrinth quilt. It's queen size and I'm doing it on my home machine. This is still a learn as you go deal (free motion), so it's taking me forever!! I am having a good time with it, but so ready to be done with this and move on.

Robbi

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Linda, happy to hear that your ddil is healing well. Congrats on the new grandbabies!

Happily yesterday I discovered that I didn't lose enough weight to warrant having to alter the MOB dress I'm wearing next Friday. Knew htere had to be an upside to Not losing weight!
    So I'm packing up for the wedding, and packing hand basting to do.
    I finished piecing all my arcs for the DWR quilt, and have started sewing the arcs to the melons. If I do it the traditional way I'm finding that only half of my seams match perfectly, which to me is half not good enough. So I hand basted a few before machine stitching, and yup, both ends match up exactly precisely where they're supposed to be. So I'm going to hand baste 301 arcs onto melons then machine stitch them together. Call me crazy...
    Packing arcs and melons in zip lock bags to take to Tybee Island for down time between wedding activities.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Well, the weekend's half over, but I've done a little bit.

I have gotten my bargello half completed and packed up again. I have GOT to work on quilting mom's quilt, so forced myself to put the bargello to the side. Mom's is laid out and awaiting marking on the bottom border. Once that's done I have to re-attached the sides and do those.

I have been working outside though... 70 degrees and sunny this weekend! I've planted bulbs and bought/planted a lilac bush. Also laid 3 bags of mulch and did some raking.

Not sure what tomorrow will bring....

• calliope
    10 years ago

It's just not quite warm enough to be comfortable working outside on anything unless one has to, and then it's soggy wet or ripping windy. Am I quilting this weekend? Gosh, I hope so. Yesterday morning, when I was about to head to the sewing room, got news a cousin's wife was critically ill and went into town to be with my cousin, so it was put aside and later in the day, was not in the mood. Today, awaiting my husband to rise before I go to the sewing room.......it's next door.

Linda, I'm sure the grandbabies are a pleasant interruption to your quilting activity. Congratulations.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone who responded about me sewing through my finger the other weekend... I got a cold or allergy attack right after that and didn't spend much time on the computer, but the finger has healed completely with no infection and I'm back to sewing... so glad I wasn't too traumatized to sew ever again!

I literally *just* finished the a tote bag for an aunt whose birthday was December 11th... I was going to make a wall hanging, but after about 4 tries, I never got anything I was happy with, so I did a tote instead...

I finally got all my "free favors" for friends done... hemmed pajamas, embroidered over a hole in some pants, and reversed a button and hole to turn a woman's jacket into a man's...

I have a picture of the embroidery... my friend found some nice pants at a thrift store and the only problem was a hole in the back... so I gave him a link to check out some embroidery designs and this is what he chose... a cowboy hat...

Here's the tote...

I'm going to Heat N Bond a heart and the aunt's name (that I will embroider on another piece of fabric) and call it done...

Every bit of the fabric was stuff I inherited from my grandmother... hopefully she's smiling down, glad it's being put to good use.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Theresa, That's a lot of blocks! Have fun....at least you won't have to strain your eyes. :-)

Calliope, Sorry to hear about your cousin's wife. Seems like I read something like this every day, now. My DH's bedroom is on the other side of the house from the Living Room, so I've been able to do a little sewing after he's gone to bed without being concerned of waking him.

Bobby, You are such a good friend to those people to do their mending for them. I hope they appreciate your talent. Your tote is awesome.....good job!

I cut fabric for one more Lotto block and it's ready to sew together. Am working on making more Chiclet blocks, too. I went through my 2 1/2 inch squares last night and will be needing to get some more cut from scraps. Yes, folks, after 2 years of cutting back drastically on buying fabric, the stash is slowly being whittled away. But, that doesn't mean I'm down to nothing! It means that I'll be able to not have to make a lot of scrappy tops......maybe next year. :-)

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Jackie, I like your string blocks. I was wondering what you considered neutral. Are they formed on muslin?
    I have been doing my larger strings (9") on paper and plan to cut them
    to 8 1/2 when I ever decide what to do with them. Up to 40 now. As I pull a strip from a bag, I try to remember which quilt this was for. Good memories.

Eyes are doing well but do get tired easily. Time for rest.
    Theresa

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Theresa, I consider a neutral to be anything beigy or with a white background that is lighter than a brown paper bag. It is ok if it has some color in it. If you look at the blocks above they have dogs, flowers etc in them. I mostly just want them to read white or beige. I am thinking these blocks will end up in Bonnie Hunter's pattern Jamestown Landing. I also have lots of colored strings that I will eventually do something with. I purchased Bonnie's String Fling Book just to have an idea of something to do with them. I am determined to use up these scraps!

Jackie

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I was productive this week and finished a lap quilt this weekend.

Except for the backing, this is Danish Stof fabric from a line called Golden Elements. I threw this together pretty fast but I'm happy with it and even like the quilting.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County