Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

I'm not taking one more stitch on this thing!

donna_loomis
11 years ago

Every time I thought it was finished, I'd see something else I just thought I had to add. But I finally wrapped it up so I wouldn't think about it anymore. Mikey's mommy will be coming by this week to pick it up. I hope she likes it.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Donna, that is great work! Good for you, wrapping it so you stop working on it! LOL

I'm sure they will love it.
    Donna

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Excellent!!!!!
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Great job. I think you've done enough. It's a darling quilt.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Really like what you did. Good time to stop. I especially like the quilting on the background.

LindaB/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Stopping adding BEFORE you add the last little bit means it is perfect! Just enough!
    I love it! You did an excellent job - very artistic - looks like an aquarium to me --
    How big is the overall piece?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Like, like, like, like! Your quilt is so cute! Love the little zebra fishies swimming around.

SharonG/FL

• chickie1
    11 years ago

Love it! You did a great job
    Darlene

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I think you've made a wonderful quilt! I love the way the starfish and the sea grasses extend beyond the frame into the quilt. I love it.

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a crib quilt - overall size is 54 inches by 38 inches. Hopefully, that is big enough so that when he graduates to a regular bed he will still be able to use it to cuddle on the couch in the evenings.

Thank you for all your kind words. Now I can move on the the two quilts I promised to my grandsons. There will be NO hand quilting on these. My fingertips need a break, LOL.

• day2day
    11 years ago

That is a lovely quilt! I like all the little details....just delightful.
    You did a great job.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Very adorable!! They will love and treasure it for years :-)

Robbi

• lola99
    11 years ago

Donna, your quilt is fantastic. Did you hand quilt all of it? I particularly like the textured background.

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it is mostly handquilted. It's difficult to see from the photos, but each of the blue squares has a large drop of water hand quilted in it and each of the green squares has a starfish hand quilted in it. And of course, the picture has been echo quilted (also by hand). I did use my machine to do the straight quilting lines in the yellow rectangle between the two blue and green rectangles. Since I'm a first-timer, I guess I broke the rules a little bit. Rather than do a binding and hand stitching it on the right side, I just made the backing large enough to fold over (and meter) and machine stitch on the front.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Applause...it is absolutely adorable!!!

funny you mentioned how you did the binding, the first time I did a quilt binding, that was the method I used...it was the instructions I had from an old quilting book.

V.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Since I'm a first-timer............Hello???? You're kidding me! That quilts absolutely adorable and the job is super.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

It's adorable and looks perfect to me!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I think it looks great, really cool design!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

I think it's wonderful! Whoever gets it, gets a true keepsake.

First-timer?! I'm about a fiftieth-timer and my first was NOT something to brag about although I've never forgotten it. Your accomplishment will make a really great memory of the "first one".

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

It is adorable! I love the fabric you used for the fishes.
    Rosa

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

When I read the title, I half expected to see an old sewing machine that you were ready to throw through a window... glad I was wrong. It is beautiful. Sometimes, it is hard to know when to stop, but obviously, you decided at the perfect time.

• fran1523
    10 years ago

That is adorable. You did a great job for a first timer or any time. I love it.