Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
November block

Posted by nannykins (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 15:43

Kate, you are suggesting light and darks of blues, greens and purples. Does this mean that instead of a block which is half neutral colour and half blue , for example, that the block be half light blue, half dark(er) blue? I think that any Depression block I have seen, usually has a neutral in the block. And the one in Quilter's Cache is like that.
Does my question make sense to you?
Theresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: November block

Your question does make sense and I know many Depression block quilts use a color along with neutrals, although many are scrappy lights and darks of any color. For this one I did mean lights and darks of blues, greens and purples - without using neutrals for all the lights. I think it would be pretty to see the whole quilt in those shades, all mixed together but with the depression block pattern of lights & darks. In my vision of the quilt, the lights are very light so the pattern is distinct.

However, if the group wants to alter this one, post your opinions here and we can change it. Plus, I think the blocks would still go together and be pretty if some neutrals were mixed in so if that's all you have to use, then go ahead and use them.

Mostly I wanted the November block to be a simple one because I know how busy we all get during the Holidays. Simple, classic, pretty and very usable.

Kate

o

Thanks Kate!
I was having a little trouble visualizing it but now it is clear.
Theresa

o

Bonnie Hunter uses the color and shade of a grocery paper bag /sack as a reference for determining the darks and neutrals no matter the color. Purples, blues, and greens will make a stunning scrappy quilt if the colors are divided 'lights' and 'darks' using these colors only. The lady next to me in Bonnie's workshop used only blues, purples, and greens - lights(neutral) & darks as her colors and her blocks were gorgeous. The contrast between the dark colors & the lighter neutrals in the same blue-green-purple light colors was dazzling.
To be clear ....... no whites or creams or beiges.....is this correct? Lt Blues, lt purples, and lt greens to be used as the neutrals. Yes? (Or am I confused?)

o

My preference is for light blues, light purples, and light greens to be used as the neutrals. That's correct. But I won't send any blocks back if some true neutrals (whites or creams or beiges) work their way in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here