Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

ZigZag RailFence

It's completed! Ended up being 56" X 73" and I wouldn't mind doing another one....not as big and softer looking fabric.

And, the back.....it's almost like another quilt!

SharonG/FL

Comments (17)

• polardream
    11 years ago

Sharon, I love the way it turned out - and I like the bright colors! Did you use a zig-zag stitch for your quilting? It looks great.

Sue

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Looks great, Sharon!!

Those double sided quilts take a lot of work... Not something I do very often!

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Good job, Sharon. Love your colors.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Sharon, your quilt is great! I love the backing too. What a clever idea. I just finished a quilt with a solid white back. I wish I would have thought of something like your idea.

And I really have to see if I can do a wider serpentine stitch on my machine. Mine is just really small, and I can't seem to make it large enough to suit me.

Very, very nice work.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Great job, Sharon! Congrats on finishing it.

Donna

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Lookin' good. Love the back.
    Theresa

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Love the quilt (quilts actually!) Beautiful colors. How did you get your backing on so straight. I usually piece the back a little, but can never get everything lined up correctly, so it's just slightly askew.
    LindaB/CA

• day2day
    11 years ago

Great job, Sharon.
    The zigzag is a nice layout for the RF blocks. Is that 'zigzagy' quilting? Looks nice!
    I like the back too. I always want to do a nice back but by the time I get the top done, I just want to be finished with it so the backing winds up being very plain.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• bev2009
    11 years ago

That looks great! So bright and cheerful. I agree with Geraldine about just wanting to get it done at the end. LOL

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

Wonderful quilt Sharon! It's a happy quilt. Love the pieced back.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you one and all. I certainly wouldn't do a pieced backing if it wasn't necessary. It started out much wider and longer and I didn't realize how much the quilting took up and don't know if it was the stitch I used or the operator. The colors are his favorite colors, so I just went with them. Plan to deliver it today.

Sue, The quilting stitch I used is a wavy line that's one of the stitches on my machine....called Serpentine Stitch.

Lois, I played with the stitch width and length to get what worked for me. Ended up with 3 and 6. Also, I found that thickness makes a difference, too. I don't have an adjustable pressure foot on the machine I was using but my other machine doesn't have this stitch.....what to do, what to do. lol

LindaB, I was concerned about the back not being on straight so was really really careful to try and get it straight, plus there was a lot of pinning going on! I actually pinned a seam on the backing I wanted to follow, then when I sandwiched it, I followed that line on the front to make sure it was as straight as I could get it. My sandwiching board isn't as big as the quilt and the floor is not an option, so it took a little bit of time.

All in all, I'm please with how it turned out, won't make another pieced backing unless I have to but will do the flange binding again....even the corners turned (pun intended) out well. :-)

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Love everything about this one!

This is the second zig zag quilt this week I've seen using a different method (not HST). This is by far the easier and no waste.

Make sure you tell him which side is the front-or make him guess, just for fun!!! He will love it also!

I applaud you for continuing to learn new techniques, stitches, and methods to your 'quilting sewing box'.

I have to comment - "what to do, what to do" ---- Get another machine!!!!!! We can never have to many! lol

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Love it Sharon! I haven't tried a pieced backing yet, but I love the way they turn out!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marsha, If I could find just the right machine for a cost that I could afford, I wouldn't hesitate to get another machine. I'm not looking for one, but if it drops in my lap, who am I to disagree?! lol

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    11 years ago

That's beautiful. It has a great graphic quality. Rail fence is my favorite go-to pattern when I need something in a hurry.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Oh geesh, but this is a nice quilt. I can see it in monochromatics, too. It so puts me in mind of my fav afghan knitting pattern. I spit several out like this, in much the same shades when I was a sweet, young thing. LOL. Good job and I'm with you on the pieced backings. They can be fun and surely are a good way to make a large piece of solids stretch to do the job and and a little interest to boot.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It looks great! Congrats on completing it!

Best to you,
    Sandra