Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this called and where do you get it?

Posted by calverttx (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 14:36

I have seen these on TV on quilting shows but have no idea what they are but I want one. Have I built up enough drama yet, just for giggles.?

This hangs on the wall, apparently comes in different sizes and as you are building a quilt the squares can just be laid on it and they stick and stay in place or they can be moved .I thought maybe felt but without actually touching and feeling, well you know.

Since I am too old to crawl on the floor this would be a great addition to my sewing room.

Any ideas, You ladies are so smart that its like an encyclopedia.. Thanks, N

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this called and where do you get it?

I think you are talking about a design wall. They can be purchased or you can make your own using flannel or felt. Some hang a flannel backed table cloth on the wall with the flannel side out. I have made a portable design wall that can be folded for storage. Hope this helps!
Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Wall

o

It is called a design wall and you can buy one or make one. You can use batting or felt. If you search the internet for "quilting design wall" you will come up with a ton of different ways to make or buy, depending on your needs and space.

I copied one link below, but there are a ton of other variations of design walls. LindaOH from this forum has posted directions on her blog for her version of a portable design wall. Just search this forum from design wall to get that link.

Hope this helps - design walls are fantastic!

Here is a link that might be useful: how to make a design wall from Oh, Fransson!

o

I really appreciate this topic. I had a foam insulation design board permanently adhered to the wall in my other home. Now I need a portable substitute since I'm sewing in a slant ceiling upstairs room.

As ever, this forum is full of good information!
LindaB/CA

o

Thank you all for the great ideas. I am off shopping tomorrow to make my own. Whenever I need just a little out of the norm you experts are always here with the answer. What a wonderful group of ladies..........

o

I made mine from interlocking foam mats that I found at Lowe's Home Improvements in the rug section. I think nine or twelve mats come in the pkg. they come in primary colors. Which was fine with me cause I use to teach kindergarten. It's light enough I used small nails to attach to the wall. It's great. Just the right size for displaying squares and baby quilt.
Darlene

o

I have a portable one I made, too. I used the blue board insulation,and cut it to the size I wanted. I did two panels and taped them together with duck tape so it would fold in half for storage. Then I pinned a felt lined table cloth (felt size out). Works great!! And I can fold it up and put it behind a door or something if I need to "hide" it.

Robbi

o

One more thing, the board I found was damaged (corner broken) and since I was going to cut it down, I didn't care, so they gave me a big discount on the price.

Robbi

o

I use a large vinyl tablecloth that I bought at Goodwill for $1.79. The backing is kind of a fuzzy felty stuff that's perfect for sticking blocks on to.

I added a couple grommets along one long edge. The grommets slip over nails I pounded in across the top of a big closet door frame. Easy to remove and toss in the closet when I'm not using it and the nails are small enough so they aren't noticeable.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here