Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calverttx

What is this called and where do you get it?

calverttx
11 years ago

I have seen these on TV on quilting shows but have no idea what they are but I want one. Have I built up enough drama yet, just for giggles.?

This hangs on the wall, apparently comes in different sizes and as you are building a quilt the squares can just be laid on it and they stick and stay in place or they can be moved .I thought maybe felt but without actually touching and feeling, well you know.

Since I am too old to crawl on the floor this would be a great addition to my sewing room.

Any ideas, You ladies are so smart that its like an encyclopedia.. Thanks, N

Comments (8)

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

I think you are talking about a design wall. They can be purchased or you can make your own using flannel or felt. Some hang a flannel backed table cloth on the wall with the flannel side out. I have made a portable design wall that can be folded for storage. Hope this helps!
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Wall

• lola99
    11 years ago

It is called a design wall and you can buy one or make one. You can use batting or felt. If you search the internet for "quilting design wall" you will come up with a ton of different ways to make or buy, depending on your needs and space.

I copied one link below, but there are a ton of other variations of design walls. LindaOH from this forum has posted directions on her blog for her version of a portable design wall. Just search this forum from design wall to get that link.

Hope this helps - design walls are fantastic!

Here is a link that might be useful: how to make a design wall from Oh, Fransson!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

I really appreciate this topic. I had a foam insulation design board permanently adhered to the wall in my other home. Now I need a portable substitute since I'm sewing in a slant ceiling upstairs room.

As ever, this forum is full of good information!
    LindaB/CA

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the great ideas. I am off shopping tomorrow to make my own. Whenever I need just a little out of the norm you experts are always here with the answer. What a wonderful group of ladies..........

• chickie1
    11 years ago

I made mine from interlocking foam mats that I found at Lowe's Home Improvements in the rug section. I think nine or twelve mats come in the pkg. they come in primary colors. Which was fine with me cause I use to teach kindergarten. It's light enough I used small nails to attach to the wall. It's great. Just the right size for displaying squares and baby quilt.
    Darlene

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I have a portable one I made, too. I used the blue board insulation,and cut it to the size I wanted. I did two panels and taped them together with duck tape so it would fold in half for storage. Then I pinned a felt lined table cloth (felt size out). Works great!! And I can fold it up and put it behind a door or something if I need to "hide" it.

Robbi

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

One more thing, the board I found was damaged (corner broken) and since I was going to cut it down, I didn't care, so they gave me a big discount on the price.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I use a large vinyl tablecloth that I bought at Goodwill for $1.79. The backing is kind of a fuzzy felty stuff that's perfect for sticking blocks on to.

I added a couple grommets along one long edge. The grommets slip over nails I pounded in across the top of a big closet door frame. Easy to remove and toss in the closet when I'm not using it and the nails are small enough so they aren't noticeable.

Kate

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting