Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

First Modern

littlehelen_gw
9 years ago

Well...I finally have a finish! Woohoo...actually this is a pretty modern quilt and realize that it doesn't appeal to many, however, it's my first truly modern finish. For whatever reason, I was attracted to this design called geometric slide from the book, Vintage Quilt Revival; this particular quilt was a Faith Jones design. I had a reason to make this when I learned of an acquaintance having a double mastectomy... She's a single Mom who is just turned 50 within the last year, just the sweetest woman. Anyway, I had to get this wrapped up quickly.
V.

Comments (18)

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Very very lovely.
    Theresa

• polardream
    9 years ago

I like it! What a thoughtful gift.

Sue

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Wonderful quilt. Love the color, style and especially the quilting. Sure hope she'll be snuggling ino complete recovery.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I think it looks really cool! Beautiful quilt!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I like the clean look of Modern! And I like your Modern Quilt alot!
    This uncluttered design will bring her comfort and help her focus on her flight to recovery. I find your colors soothing and calming. Great job!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I like it, V! I've never done one like this, but I like it!!! Good job!!!

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

This is just wonderful. If that's modern, lots of mine are modern, too. Didn't know that. I love all that white to quilt on and it really pops. You friend will love it.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Fun, bright & cheery; I like its asymmetry.

What a lovely thing to do for anyone much less an 'acquaintance'. Maybe she feel warmed & strengthened by your friendship & support .

• Kristene Smith
    9 years ago

Beautiful quilt! You sure are wonderful to make this for your friend. she's sure to think of you every time she snuggles up in the quilt.
    Kristene

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I love the way this turned out and your quilting is outstanding. This is a pattern to keep and reuse because different colors would give a completely different effect. You know I really like modern quilts and this is a perfect example why: clean, beautiful, dramatic and lots of room for quilting.

Kate

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Val, I think your quilt is wonderful! Our old friends, HSTs, in a totally new and modern design. A person could use scraps for the HSTs too. Your quilting is fantastic. And such a quick pattern is great for those quilts that need to be made in a hurry. Thanks for the information and inspiration.

Lois

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

I really like it too. White in a quilt really appeals to me. Love the backing and your quilting.
    Rosa

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank You all for your reassuring and kind comments...I've been a touch iffy on this one, but I am pleased with how it turned out in the end,

I will say the z or x block (forgot its name) .. after making 10 of them, I hope never to make them again...they were a bit of a pain with how the seams came together when sewn. It was a design only for open seams, nesting wasn't an option. I wouldn't recommend it for our lotto ;-)
    V.

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Lovely and full of spirit, V.! It's nice to step outside our comfort zone now and then.

Teresa

• fran1523
    9 years ago

I love it. It's a neat pattern, great colors, fabulous quilting.

• day2day
    9 years ago

I lke it...a lot!
    Beautiful quilting.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Wow..now, that right there is VERY cool! I'd probably never have even turned my head for something called 'modern', but it's outstanding!! Perhaps my taste is growing up....like my taste in wine!! Annie-Green-Springs no more!!

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth... love your comment LoL... Btw your April blocks arrived...!
    V.