Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kay6271

May 2011 Block Lotto

kay6271
12 years ago

Time for May Flowers!

The block for this month is called "Easy Flower Block ", and was chosen by buteau3rd and the moderator. The colors for this month's block are pastel prints and a

white background. We've been working so much in triangles & squares, I thought it would be nice to switch to strip piecing for a month. This block goes together VERY quickly with few seams to match. And the large size means that even a few blocks will give the winner a lot to work with.

Color 1: Any small floral in a pastel color or mix of colors.

Color 2: Light to medium green solid or a small scale green print.

Color 3: Small print yellow floral or solid.

Color 4: White or white-on-white.

This is a 14" finished block, so the blocks we turn in should measure within 1/4" of 14-1/2". Make your block of a quality you'd like to receive!

The pattern is located on quilterscache.com. The link to the pattern is below this message. Another message will follow with a link to the Google docs pages and photos of this month's participant's blocks as they arrive.

Here's how the monthly lotto works...

One to two weeks prior to the first of the lotto month, the block pattern and colors are posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar (this covers all blocks sent, NOT $1/block) to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Please note the following guidelines:

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month.

The winner will be drawn that evening or on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

The winner may choose a block and/or colors for a future lotto that will be added to the list. If the winner opts to choose a block, a sample block must be received by the moderator by the end of the month prior to the posting date. For example, if you're choosing the March block, a sample must be received by the end of January. There is usually about a 5-6 month lead time between winning and the month's pattern posting, so you have lots of time to explore patterns and dream up color combinations! This month's winner may choose the September block pattern. Pattern, colors and sample block (or photo of block) due to moderator by August 1.

Coordinator's Address:

Kay Barkdoll

12026 Punch Bowl Rd

Mercersburg, PA 17236

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Flower Block

Comments (16)

• kay6271
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's the link to the Google Docs pages created to let us enjoy past block pictures and see what's coming up next.

I post pics of blocks received as soon as I can get a chance.

And the future block listing gives you a chance to work ahead if you know you'll be busy that month but still want to participate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Block Lotto Google Docs Pages

• nannykins
    12 years ago

3 blocks will go in the mail tomorrow.
    A pretty little block.
    Theresa

• kay6271
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nannykins, your lovely blocks arrived last week, I just didn't get on here to post their arrival.

Are we going to have any other participants this month?

And everyone, don't forget to check the applique paper-piece lotto that also ends this month. So far, the sample blocks are the only blocks. Should we discontinue this lotto for lack of participation?

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

This is a beautiful block, but I'm afraid I just don't have the time again this month! When the kids are out of school the end of the month, I should have a bit more time (I'm hoping????). Maybe I can make the June lotto!

Robbi

• salijo
    12 years ago

I will try to make 2 blocks. I can let you know for sure next week. I don't usually participate much in the lottos, but I really enjoy following the threads and seeing the photographs each month...I would hate to see it end, so I'll try to participate more.

salijo

• salijo
    12 years ago

I was hoping to be able to participate this month; but unfortunately, I won't have access to a sewing machine until sometime next week....and that's cutting it to close for my comfort. Good luck to all the participants! This should make an adorable quilt!
    Salijo

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Kay,

Hoping all is well with you!
    I actually completely forgot about the lottos :( - guess I need to pay attention better - not to mention get online more often!
    I'd love to do this block! but have 3 graduation quilts to finish before next weekend & 3 baby quilts due asap after that. Babies are already here, but they have to be 2nd this time :)
    I've noticed that the sign-up for this month is really slim! - & had a thought. (No fair laughing, but I SEE you rolling your eyes! Yes, I do think now & then - when I remember where I put the starter for my brain)
    Would it be possible to have a May/June lotto? Like you do for applique? Still use this block - it is awesome! - & since so many are busy right now w/gardens, health issues, other projects,etc, this gives people more time to get them done.
    Just a thought - but the more participation, the more blocks & the more fun!

~Cindy

• kay6271
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy,

This is a transition month for micyrey to take over as moderator. So let's see what she thinks.

Also, EVERYONE......... who else would participate if this block were extended through June?

Kay

• polardream
    12 years ago

I would not mind if we go to June ... I was out of town until yesterday and finished 2 today but would like to make one more ... and the next few days are nuts since we are going out of town again next week! If it's okay, I will make one more & send 3 for JUNE. otherwise I will mail 2 and call it good.
    Sue

• polardream
    12 years ago

I put 2 blocks in the mail today.
    Sue

• kay6271
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sue, the blocks and gift arrived today. Thank you so very, very much! The colors & patterns of the fabric are just delightful and you are so thoughtful to have included them!

Kay

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I'm fine with this one going into June, we could do the drawing june 10th if that works for everyone,let me know if this works for you.
    michelle

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    lats I heard from kay we had just 3 players, nannykins, kay, and sue( not in drawing) I just want to be sure everyone has theirs in for the drawing.
    I think we will have 2 months for lottos at least for the summer when everyone is so buisy, so the june will be for june/july with the blocks due at the end of july and drawing the last day of july.
    spread the word so everyone knows.

if we have any one else in the drawing this month I dont know of please let me know
    michelle

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello
    Ok it is drawing time..... Seth my hubby is drawing for me ....
    And the winner is.....KAY. can you beleve it.
    Big congrats Kay
    I hope you have time to make something nice out of them.
    Thanks for playing everyone look forward to seeing you all in the june/july lotto.
    Happy quilting
    Michelle

• kay6271
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoooo.... hooooo!!!
    My first win! and I really love this block.

Thank you, thank you!

Kay

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

:) Congrats! Kay! Isn't winning lottos fun?!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm