Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

Thank you for the gel pen recommendation...

Robbi D.
10 years ago

It was about a year ago, but someone on here recommended the Pilot FriXion gel pens for marking your quilts. I've been using them extensively lately, and can't say enough good things about them. They are erasable, but the best part is a warm iron erases the markings without a trace!!

Robbi

Comments (19)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I like to use the red one when doing redwork, too. I think I have most of the colors. Anyone know if there's a white one?

SharonG/FL

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

White would be awesome!! Most of the colors I have are dark.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I like them a lot and white would be great but I have never seen it. I do have a wide yellow that is nice for marking patterns and then erasing when finished.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Are you guys talking about the regular gel pens for writing on paper etc??

If so I've never heard of using them for marking,enlighten me please!! Every little thing is a help.Wonder how they're d working on cross stitch fabric(for griding purposes)
    Kathi

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

I want to know, too! Where do you get these? Are you using them to mark the tops of fabrics where you're going to be quilting?? please?

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

These are regular pens found in office supply sections, Staples, Office Depot, etc. They come in a variety of colors, though I've now learned from you ladies, that they come in more colors than I'd heard. I also didn't realize they came in different tips.

They are billed as 'erasable ink'. In our world, the heat of the iron will make the lines disappear. They work great for marking quilting lines or even sewing lines.

They've been tested by a lot of people, and they say that the lines never reappear...

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I use them all the time and love them. I had lines come back once when a white quilt was shipped into very cold weather. When she got it, she just went over the spots with an iron and that was it. So, they can come back faintly in some cases. I'd still use them over everything else. They make them for kids to use with paper so I can see why no white. But, I'd love a white one if it comes out. I'm amazed they aren't sold at more quilt shows and shops.

• day2day
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up about the Frixon pens. I had read about them before but wasn't sure if they were erasable with heat.
    Will check them out. As kathi said...every little thing helps.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Thank you, ladies!!! Great info!

• meldy_nva
    10 years ago

BTW, don't forget that *cold* may make the gel marks show up again. Apparently well below-freezing temps reactivate it. I haven't heard of any reactivating after the material has been washed.

Sharon~ Clover's white gel pen is recommended; like other gels, it's hot-iron erasable. Link attached (I'm not associated with Home-Sew other than as a customer.)

Here is a link that might be useful: white gel pen

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I recently discovered the frixon pen and love it! Better than any other marker for quilting in my humble opinion.
    V.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I have only used Frixon pens. Are there others that work the same way?

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Do you find them at places like CVS? Walmart? Office Supply??

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I have have never used these gel pens before. How much do they cost per pen? I have been catching the Sewology blue fabric pens on sale at Hobby Lobby for 50% off when they run a sale so $2.50 + tax per pen. Are the FriXion gel pens cheaper per pen than this?

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 14:36

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ordered a set from Amazon. 8 are about $14 and with Prime, it's free shipping and no tax.

Robbi

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

That's kinda weird that the iron makes them disappear,because the iron always sets the other type markers and it Won't wash out.

I must remember to look for these,i need them more for gridding cross stitch fabric than anything else.
    Kathi

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Thanks Robbi. I will have to look for these at the office supply store. Most of what I do is hidden seams so these would work well for me I think and sounds like they are much cheaper than fabric pens.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Beth, I'm pretty sure you can get them at The Quilt Place in Rockledge.

I've been afraid to try them for fear they wouldn't come out. You all are convincing me to give it a try. But I'm still scared.

• meldy_nva
    9 years ago

k8 ~ as with all markers, test-wash first! After the fabric is prepped, use a small scrap to mark. Then iron it, wash it, dry it, iron again after washing, mark/starch/iron; -- and freeze it if there is a chance it will exposed to low temps. If you are using a dry-clean-only fabric, sweet-talk the dry cleaner into cleaning the marked scrap along with a regular load. My rule of thumb is that if marks re-appear at any stage, either don't use the marker, or only in seam allowances.

So far, Frixon has passed all my tests, but check every fabric anyhow because some day the pen's formula might change and we don't want an unpleasant surprise.