Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

Three charity quilts ready to go - pictures

polardream
11 years ago

I finished these charity quilts in the last few weeks and will take them to church on Monday to be donated. I had to buy some backing fabric for the purple one (it matches the dark purple on the front), otherwise EVERYTHING came from my stash!

The "dancing kitties" fabric was one I purchased when we did an alphabet exchange here on the forum for kids I-spy quilts.
{{!gwi}}

The yellow and blue quilt was lots of half square triangles left over from a quilt I made for one of my son's friends when they graduated from high school in 2004! I had to add some other yellows from my stash to finish it, but it turned out okay. Used up all but about 6 of the squares that are 5" square!

{{!gwi}}

This is the original quilt that the yellow and blue scraps came from!

The bears square in a square used a piece of bear fabric and all scraps for the setting triangles! Used the same blue fabric I had for the yellow/blue quilt for the backing.

{{!gwi}}

It feels good to get them done!
Sue

Comments (28)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Super work!! Love them all.
    Theresa

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Great job on all the quilts, Sue. They are very sweet.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Nice, nice, nice! Great use of your stash. They will make several people very happy!

Donna

• susan_on
    11 years ago

I love them all, and its great that you used so much stash!

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Exceptional!! Really like your yellow and blue using the HST. Great pattern.
    Must be the year to use up our stashes...
    Very generous of you to give them away. I hope you have an idea who will enjoy them. TFS

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Those are all just great. And from your own stash! Congratulations. Wish I could do that.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Wonderful quilts, Sue! Kudos for getting them finished!

I love both of the yellow/blue quilts! Just love how those colors go together, and a neat use of the stripes through the HSTs.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Love them all. Really great use of the "left overs".
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Sue, You have been a very busy young lady! The quilts are fantastic and you did a good job in using your stash.

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Sue, you have been busy. Those are great, I really like the blue and yellow one (my high school colors).

beverly

• fran1523
    11 years ago

Ditto to all of the above Sue. Especially love the blue and yellow. Isn't it great to use your stash.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Wonderful quilts, Sue! Kudos for getting them finished!

I love both of the yellow/blue quilts! Just love how those colors go together, and a neat use of the stripes through the HSTs.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

the gremlins are out and about tonight!! Watch those sewing rooms!

• coosavalleyquilter
    11 years ago

Those are some very beautiful quilts. I really like the blue and Yellow ones. Are they for a specific charity they are going to or did I miss that info in your post. My problem is I get all excited about starting a new project then about half way through, somehow my enthusiasm starts waning. I wish I didn't do that. LOL

Joanie

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Great job! They will make lots of people happy!

Great use of strings!

Thx,
    Gwen

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Sue the one you made with the left overs is amazing! I love them all but the original blue & yellow pinwheel would be perfect for some charities I have been asked to make for boys.

I fell like I use the same patterns over and over. I am making a pink one for a very sweet special needs lady and I have set it aside so many times I feel like I have been working on it forever.

Can you share the name of the pattern???
    Rosa

• bev2009
    11 years ago

They all came out beautifully. Someone is going to really appreciate them.

• polardream
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, all! Our church quilt group (small but mighty 4 of us!) chose a safe house for battered women and their children to donate the quilts to. They really need the kid sizes for comfort quilts. I still have at least 7 more tops FINISHED that need to be sandwiched and quilted. Some of them are "new" or lotto block quilts, but the next one will be from leftover parts from another quilt that was all flying geese made the old way with lots of left over triangles! Saved them and made another quilt from it! It's nice to know that they are going somewhere needed.
    Sue

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

These are ALL great looking quilts. Kudos to you for getting them done ( a great accomplishment from my personal state right now) as well as supporting such a great cause.

Glad to know you ^_^

Faye

• chickie1
    11 years ago

Great job! I especially like the blue & yellow quilts. What a special project your guild has taken on.
    Darlene

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Great job Sue! All these quilts look like planned designs with planned colorways. Amazing you made them from scraps and leftovers--you are very organized.
    Wonderful choice of charity for your new group. You know the quilts will be cherished by the kids.
    Blue & yellow always make me think of you.
    Glad I know you also :)

• day2day
    11 years ago

Great job! Those are wonderful quilts.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• lola99
    11 years ago

Your quilts look great. I like quilts on point, I think it adds a flair to the quilt. I also really like your blue and yellow quilts. I'm impressed with your productivity! Comfort quilts are so important - your church quilting group picked a great cause.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Love em all! Well done and kudo's to you.
    V.

• kiendu
    11 years ago

Gorgeous quilts! Do you do all the quilting freehand on your machine, or do you have a long arm quilter?

I've tried the stipling freehand on my regular machine, and I just can't do it... can't get the rhythm and stitch length to be consistant. I think I need a class!

Just love the purple one...

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

They all look lovely and can tell you spent some time on them. TFS!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• polardream
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosa, The original yellow & blue is called Striped Stars and is from the book 101 made-to-fit quilts for your home. I kept all of the left over parts in a ziplock back and knew I needed to use them. I had to supplement the yellow with other from my stash to finish it.

Kiendu, yes, I am doing the FMQ on my machine. I have a Pfaff 7570. I can't do a large pattern, but to meander is okay. It does take practice and I have take one class. I usually manage to tug all of my quilts - up to queen size - through this machine. I have only sent one quilt out to a long arm quilter.

I am working on another one from a "baggie" full of triangles left over but it will probably need to go to a nursing home - the colors don't really look like kids.

Sue

• DianeCamille
    11 years ago

All of them are so beautiful! It must feel so good to give them to charity!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County