Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Whoopie..........she works!

calliope
11 years ago

I just brought home a 50s Speed Queen ironing machine, what some folks here call a Mangle. Finally got the bolts cracked holding it down to the frame and cleaned it up. I may or may not be saving the frame. It needs work since it's rusted. However, the machine is in excellent shape. So cleaned the body and motor up, plugged it in and it runs like a deer. Up to the sewing room and no more horsing long, flat pieces of material over an ironing board.

Comments (9)

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

What fun! My MIL had a mangle but I never saw it in action. What is the width of fabric it can press? I would love to see a picture!
    Linda OH

• calliope
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The rollers are about 2 feet, I imagine but one can press wider material than that if you know the technique of how to do the middle first and then catch the ends and that way it doesn't leave a crease. Mama did bedsheets and banquet cloths on them and I remembered it was in my folk's basement when I was pressing off the backing to the quilt I'm working on now. I use a wringer washer and line dry my clothes, so I often iron the cottons and also bed linens. One can even do fancy stuff with contours on them. I'll have to bone up on You Tube to see a demonstration for that. I'll get a pic once I get it up in place.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I saw one in a thrift shop not too long ago and stood there and debated about buying it. I didn't and now I wish I had.
    Theresa

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I used my grandma's mangle when I was a teenager. I loved to do it. It was so relaxing and I loved the smell of the hot linens. Her's was at least 4 ft long. I would say longer, but it was a long time ago and I can't vouch for my memory.

The other day I stood and ironed the family antique linens for 2 1/2 hours for a bridal shower. At the time, I told my sister, "Where is the mangle when you need it?" I made gray tablecloths for the card tables and we have lace linen table cloths on top. White dishes with silver trim and a large linen napkin on each plate. The tables look beautiful.

I would be tempted to buy one if I could. I hope you enjoy yours.

• calliope
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I now have serious iron envy!

So I Googled rotary irons and found that Miele sells a really nice one. Only $1999.99!!

I guess I'm going to remain envious, LOL.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Please be very careful with your new /old mangle. We don't want to see a posting of how this or that got caught and something or someone got burned!
    V.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I used my Mom's mangle a lot as a kid and it was wonderful. Wonder what ever happened to it. It was very heavy, had it's own floor stand and rolled on wheels. Surface was about 3ft across and she ironed all our sheets on it. They were very useful but don't know where I'd put one now.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I used one of these as a kid too. Then I went to work at a commercial laundry when I was in highschool and THAT was a mangle!!!

Maryv

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting