Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Anyone else got gremlins in your sewing room?

teresa_nc7
12 years ago

How else can you explain it? I make 4-patch blocks, iron them to the dark side, line up two with ironed seams nesting together nicely, carry them literally 2 feet from the ironing board to the sewing machine and I check them again just to be sure they are nested and don't need pinning before I stitch and........GAK!!! they've switched themselves around to un-nesting seams??? How does this happen??? I'm convinced now that my sewing room is inhabited by gremlins!

Do you have gremlins? What do they do to mess up your sewing and quilting?

Teresa

Comments (16)

• nannykins
    12 years ago

They steal my rulers! And I know I had the perfect piece of blue here yesterday.
    Theresa

• nana_2009
    12 years ago

We have a gremlin named Fred...whom we blame for things missing or moved...he is ficticious of course but we have to blame someone don't we

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I think they are taking over the world, especially sewing rooms.
    I am sure I have more then one. The one that works the hardest likes to hide the things that I drop. It can be yards from the spot where it lands and then makes it totally disappear. They also like to switch the edge that is set up to be sewn so I sew the wrong side of the piece or put the wrong sides of the fabric together.
    I have never thought to give them names but that is a thought. Jayne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

You mean I can blame those things on Gremlins?! Whoo boy! Will have to name the one here, too. lol

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    12 years ago

I'm with Sharon ... I am going to name mine too!
    I think Teresa's guy has shown up at my place and moved my ironed blocks and sewn the wrong sides of my blocks more times than I can count!

It's good to know it isn't me ...
    Sue

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

I have a gremlin too. He took my table runner pattern two weeks ago. I drew the pattern in EQ7 and made it. Yesterday I found the pattern!
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Ours is named Terry and he's been with us 37 years!

In college, two of our friends never seemed to be in the same place at the same time; one of them was named Terry. After a semester or two of Chuck always missing Terry ("Really, he was here a minute ago and just left!") Chuck decided that Terry was a figment of our imagination. From then on anything weird that happened, like a door closing unexpectedly, things missing or the cats acting like they could see something we couldn't see, we've blamed it on Terry. For 37 years! LOL

Kate

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

LOL!!!

• msmeow
    12 years ago

When we were kids my mom always blamed "Yehudi" for weird things that happened.

The only gremlin in my sewing room is me...LOL...great timing for the question! Here's my story:

I volunteered to quilt two group baby/toddler quilts. Lots of ladies made the blocks and sent them to the piecer. Someone volunteered to make the bindings and mailed them to me, another gal volunteered to make the backings and send them to me, then the piecer sent the tops when they were done. Now, I distinctly remember the bindings...there were 2 neat rolls of binding together in one baggie.

Last weekend I got ready to quilt the first one, since I had received the tops a few days before (the binding and backings had come a few weeks previously). I opened the baggie with the backings, and only one was there! So I emailed the lady who sent them - asked if she only sent one - were they in 2 packages and maybe the PO lost one? She thought she sent both; made 2 trips to fabric stores to buy more fabric, and express mailed it to me.

Yesterday I was sewing the binding on the first quilt. I thought there was no way it was long enough for 2 quilts, but I couldn't find any more in my closet. Thought I remembered 2 rolls of binding...I started searching in the sewing closet when out of the corner of my eye, on the top shelf, behind some other tops, I spot bright blue fabric! ARRRGH! It was the original second backing, and inside that baggie was the second binding! I was so embarrassed to have to confess that!

I guess I could try to blame it on a gremlin, but maybe I'll just use the blonde excuse (again). DUH.

Donna

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Mine always hides the scissors, bamboo skewer, and machine screwdriver and lint brush, which I always place right beside the machine. Also the pincushion, which is one of those wrist-strap kinds but I always take it off and it snatches it immediately. If I drop a needle, of course, it swallows it whole, I never find them.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Poor Donna, that is just too much lol!!!!!! I hate it when I have something in my hand, lay it down, and can't find it anywhere. MY ROOM IS NOT THAT BIG!!! I am the same way as Rita about dropping pins and needles, I have a magnetic thingie to pick them up sand still can't find them. Our joke is why would someone bother to break in and just steal my scissors or rulers lol!!!
    The other gremlin is in the garage. I bought a pair of knee pads to work in the yard 2 years ago, used them once and they disappeared. Last week they reappeared in the garage. Only 2 of us live here, where were they, and who bought them back lol!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rosa

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

My gremlin is Chole the cat. She loves to sneak into the sewing room and "find" a "toy" which she then sneaks out of the sewing room and leaves hidden. I usually don't find her treasure trove till I'm doing some heavy duty cleaning. Things she's taken as her own include fabric scraps, pin cushion, tape measure and spools of thread.
    I try really hard to keep her out of the sewing room but she ALWAYS finds her way in. I suppose it could be worse. When I was a kid we had a cat that adored shiny things like keys, scissors, coins. Imagine what a cat like that one could do in a sewing room!

• buteau3rd
    12 years ago

Isn't it wonderful to find that we have so much company! I was blaming it on age, til I realized it all started many years ago. The disappearing needles bother the most, though!
    Marge

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Boy am I glad it isn't age. I thought I was just forgetting where I put that piece of fabric I needed. Must be that gremlin. If I name it, will it take less stuff? Do they procreate? Don't want no gremlin sex in my house!

• colleenny
    12 years ago

I am so happy that I now have someone to blame when I finish cutting out fabric and then can't find it. My sewing room is very tiny and I have been looking for a couple of blocks that I made for months and can't find them. I will have to name my Gremlin. Colleen

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Can I name mine Colleen, too??

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA