Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

More minis!

K8Orlando
12 years ago

I hope you all aren't tired of pictures of mini quilts yet. I have a feeling we aren't done.

I'm up to 7 now for the guild auction, plus 2 for the teddy bear project.

Bears. The black zebra print one on the left is for the donation. (I'm not going to tell you how she got those Mardi Gras pearls!) The Hawaiian print one on the right is the one DH Jim is keeping.

And here are the other minis:

Paper piecing and pink Swarovski crystals:

William Morris reproduction prints and pearls:

Raw edge applique and peridot chips:

Paper piecing, plus a little applique, plus a little touch of metallic fabric:

1930s reproduction prints with variegated quilting thread (and NO beads!):

Comments (17)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Kate! I have 8 done so far for the guild. The quilt I've been cutting out has stitch & flip flying geese (I think - I haven't read through the directions yet) so I will end up with a bunch more #&$* HSTs! I think I'll probably just make minis with them as I go.

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

WOW they are gorgeous!!! I love the idea of making them to go with the teddies.

I was not interested in mini's until you ladies started posting the pics. It is s great way to practice a new technique and use scraps!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Really nice, Kate. I like them all. The bears are cute. I like Jim's but I won't fight for it. @:)

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Sweet mini quilts, Kate. What I great idea! A project that doesn't take weeks or months to comlete - and that is easy to quilt. No wonder you enjoy them so much.

• day2day
    12 years ago

Beautiful work!
    Love the bears too.

I'm with Rosa.
    I was never interested in minis until I saw the beautiful ones you ladies have done.
    I have to give them a try once I finish quilting my last couple of tops.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Very, very nice! I really think the beads and crystals are a very elegant touch! Everyone will be impressed!!!

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Wow, very pretty...Gwen

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I think they are all really beautiful, but the one I love best is the pink polk-a-dot one. :-) You do beautiful work! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    12 years ago

They are all beautiful. I love the embellishments.

• polardream
    12 years ago

Kate, they are beautiful! I think the paper pieced flower done in batiks is my favorite.
    Sue

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Excellent work, Kate!

I particularly like the Iris - raw edge applique.
    (One of my favorite flowers.)

Is it a fussy cut?

Julie

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Julie,
    It is a fussy cut from one of my favorite fabrics and favorite fabric designers. It's a Phillip Jacobs print called Iris Peony. I have a couple yards of this but haven't found anything worthy of it yet! I fussy cut this off the edge but almost hated to cut into it! I have his Geraniums too and love that one almost as much, but I've managed to use it for a couple things, like potholders and table runners that I get to see and touch daily. Yes, I'm a fabric addict!

Here is a link that might be useful: Phillip Jacobs - Iris Peony

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I used to do minis, now you're making me want to do it again. They look great when framed, by the way. Mine weren't as good as yours, Kate, I'm jealous.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Kate, I can see why you love that Iris Peony fabric!

I love any fabric that looks like an artist sketched fine, delicate lines, and then added color from nature, as if picked fresh from the garden!

I never get tired of seeing your mini's...keep 'em coming!

Julie

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Kate, they are all lovely. How long have you been quilting? Have you taken a lot of classes? Where do you learn all the techniques?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been quilting for around 20 years but only 1 or 2 a year until 5 years ago. Thats when quilting became a passion for me. Before that, I considered myself a gardener, who loved to quilt. But as my knees got worse I gave up gardening and began quilting more. I've taken 2 classes on longarm quilting but don't have a LA machine. I just had to know how it worked. No other classes. If I see a pattern or a technique I like, I try it. Sometimes it works; sometimes it becomes a potholder. Either way, its fun.

• vacuumfreak
    12 years ago

Kate those are just stunning.... you're making me want to come the auction and bid on them :o)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County