Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? April 5-7

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I did not get much sewing done this week. It took me a couple days to recover from the weekend. lol We had the entire family home for Easter and Eli was the center of attention all weekend. We celebrated his first birthday while everyone was here. He is a busy little boy! The guys put up the new bird feeder they made and gave to us for Christmas. That meant removing the old feeder and post, scraping and repainting the post, and reinstalling it. We loved having everyone home for Easter.
I did make another barn block yesterday and cut the fabric for more barns. The block insert for the new barn block has 36 tiny squares. (1" finished)
I plan to make the April "Hello Moon" block this weekend.
Are you quilting or sewing this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (20)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I will be going on a FART with my sister who will be visiting this weekend.
    I did put together a little top earlier this week. Not quite finished. I think it needs a small border. That will be next week's task.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I'm planning to load the Blackford's Beauty top on the frame and start quilting it.

I'm not sure what other sewing projects may tempt me! LOL

Donna

PS - Linda, I have a jar quilt that I made some years ago from a GW block swap. I was noticing a couple of the blocks are signed LindaOH...are you the same LindaOH? It has blocks from Australia and France, too!

Donna

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna, that would be me! I have a couple small quilts made from the swap. I will have to look for your name.
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I guess we've been around here a long time, huh? :)

Donna

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

I am so excited! I FINALLY finished the echo quilting (by hand) on the crib quilt I posted a photo of last month. There is a border of yellow between two frames of the green and blue squares that needed "something", but I just couldn't figure out what to do. Because it was an odd number of squares, the zig-zag I was thinking of doing just didn't look right, but I came up with an idea last night and executed it. I just couldn't imagine doing MORE hand quilting on it (truly, I want to move on, LOL). It did turn out to be a bit more work than I wanted because none of the lines are connected and I have to hand tie knots at each end of the stitching lines and hide the threads, but that's okay. I'm really pleased with it and hope to post a picture very soon.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'm trying to be delicate about this, but Theresa........I think going on a FART needs a little more explanation. I won't even go there with guessing.

Yes, I started the morning in the sewing room, as soon as it got light and I have 80% of the wool disappearing nine patch FMQ'd now. This is day three on the quilting. I hope to finish it tomorrow morning. Horsing it around is heavy and tedious, but it's going well. I've left enough of the backing on it to bring it to the front and use it to bind the work off. I didn't sleep well last night, and did the marketing today, and then potted up some stuff in the g'house so I doubt I'll feel like working on it more today.

I REMEMBER the jar quilts!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I know what F A R T means, but I'll let you wait until Theresa answers. LOLOL

I'm working on making the backing big enough for the ZigZag quilt.....it's like making another quilt!!! but it's almost done and hope to finish this week-end. Linda, I already have my next barn made so that's out of the way, even though I'm not real happy with how the barn and roof fabric looks together, I'm not ripping it out.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    10 years ago

FART was Tuppermom's (Mary) contribution to our quilting vocabulary. It means Fabric Acquisition Road Trip.
    However my trip is off as sister is not coming after all. Maybe I could go alone. Nah, that's no fun.
    Oh well I guess I could go out and clean the garden or wash the car or...
    Theresa

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I soooo wish I could go on a FART! I need some TLC! But it's not in the cards...

What I am doing is organizing my stuff. We had a professional organizer (who is also a quilter) to our guild meeting a few weeks ago and I'm putting into practice some of her techniques. She's also a Bonnie Hunter fan; I'm not sure I'll be putting into practice her scrap storage techniques, though.

So last week I organized all my patterns into binders, and re-shelved all my books. Now I'm working on refolding my yardage. I've gotten through purples, pinks, reds and oranges. Next is yellows.

I also did some yard work today, and started cleaning the pond. Tomorrow might be a trip for topsoil, mulch, and compost. We're looking at sunny weather in the 70s this weekend...finally!

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I have had quilting withdrawel for two weeks and am home and off to work today with my little hand projects in my bag.

Although not quilting, I did gather photos of parquet floors and other geometric shapes that gave me lots of ideas. So, I guess you can say I'm plotting this weekend.

It's strange to be on a long trip and not encounter one quilter. Good to be back in the USA.

• susan_on
    10 years ago

Oh, that sounds like a great idea! I sense a FART in my near future!

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sounds like everyone is busy.

No FART-ing in my near future - I just finished cleaning my sewing room. Resorted the colors and got it organized and put away. Moved 10 - yes 10, paper carton boxes of fabric out of my sewing room and onto the shelves in my bedroom closet. (more room since my sewing room doubles as a guest bedroom, my scrapbooking room and office). I still have 3 large plastic storage drawer organizers of fabric and one closet full of sewing stuff in here! I am using what I have until I need backing fabric!

I plan to sandwich a charity quilt but that is my only quilting this weekend.

I am trying to work on DS's photo albums since he is getting married in November (he will be 28 and I just finished his 5th birthday....) I am a bit behind. We also have a hockey game tonight and teaching Sunday school tomorrow.

Welcome back, Linda! Are you coming to Colorado???

Sue

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Thanks Theresa for sharing what a FART is. I hope I get to go on one later this summer. We are having glorious warm sunny weather this weekend, so I could not resist doing some gardening this weekend. I planted yellow cosmos seeds and orange-red cosmos seeds today. I still need to remove 2 giant dandelions before they bloom, can't believe those weeds survived the winter! This week I started a grandbaby quilt for my good friend Chrizty. Christy's grandbaby which is due later this summer is going to be a girl - so yay! I get to work with my favorite fabric color PINK! :-) I am hand-sewing some granny square quilt blocks for it right now, which I will combine with some larger center blocks to make it 40" x 40" when I am done. Also my brother emailed me today with info on a LPB tv quilt show that comes on on Saturday mornings, which I now have set to record on my DVR. Having a really good weekend here, hope everyone else is too!

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 18:35

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

A little quilting so far, but mostly planting. Stalled again on finishing the quilting for the quilt I'd hoped to have ready by next week. Hope to do more tomorrow since I'll be away next weekend.
    LindaB/CA

• fran1523
    10 years ago

No quilting for me this weekend. I'm in Florida for ten days but will be home next Wednesday. I have a scrappy string quilt ready to be quilted and can then start something new which will be fun.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Fran, where are you in FL? We are having beautiful weather right now. Enjoy!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Welcome back home, Linda! No quilters crossed your path while traveling?.....strange.

Sandra, I love making girls quilts! Have you decided what pattern to use?

Fran, Donna beat me to it. Enjoy the sunshine. I love this time of year when I can be in the sun as my bones soak up the warmth.

Still working on the backing......have I ever said I won't do another big quilt? Shhhh, I saw a pattern that is so much fun (and easy) to make. I'm always on the look out for something easy to use for a QOV in red/white/blue. Center red, blue 2 1/2" strips with white 1 1/2".....like I need another quilt top! But, it's another pattern that will use up scraps and odds and ends, so I'm allowing myself.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Sharon I am doing 4 Baby Bud 12" flower blocks in the middle and then outlining them in 8" Granny Square quilt blocks that will be mostly pink and purples, so 40" x 40" finished size. The backing will be the same green fabric as is used on the Baby Bud. I have not decided what fabric I am using for the binding, it'll either be WOW or the green used for the backing. I love pinks and purples so am having a lot of fun with this quilt! I have never made a baby quilt for a girl before, my family and friends have all had boys in the past. So it's really nice to make a girly quilt. I've written a crochet pattern for bookmarks so will just modify the length of it and use it to make a crocheted lace edging for this quilt. In the past I have made crocheted lace edgings for pillowcases so I know it will wash and dry same as the quilt without shrinkage. So this is a really fun project for me getting to do the 2 things I love most quilting and crocheting and I get to work with the color pink! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 16:49

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Your quilt idea sounds like a winner Sandra. I know you'll enjoy making it since it's for a girl. *smile*

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Thanks Sharon.

Best to you,
    Sandra