Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

2012 Quilt for Relay for Life

lindaoh_gw
12 years ago

My small quilt group makes a quilt every year to raffle for Relay for Life and I quilt it. This year we were given a very bright pink piece of fabric to use in the quilt. It is a very strong color and we knew we had to use it in small pieces. We decided to use it as the center block in a Disappearing Nine Patch with black and white fabric. We all agree that it is one of the most striking quilts we have made for Relay.

We had a lot of the fabric left so we put a small flange of the pink between the quilt top and the border. One reason we went with the flange is because of the size. If it was any larger, it wouldn't fit on my quilt frame.

I quilted it with a loopy meandering pattern.

Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Black and White quilt for Relay for Life

Comments (15)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Great use of the bright pink. Wonderful idea to use each individual's Black & Whites for blocks. I love it!!
    What fabric did you use on the back?

Do you auction the quilt? If so, it should bring alot of money for a worthy cause.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

You used the pink very well. Any more and it would have taken over. (grin) Keeping white in the 4 spot helped, too. Good job!!

SharonG/FL

• new2quilting
    12 years ago

That is so fun. I know many a teenage girl who would love that! And the flange looks nice as well. I hope you sell a lot of raffle tickets.

Amy

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!! The teens I know are still into bright neon pink and black!

• day2day
    12 years ago

It's beautiful.
    I also know a few teen girls that would love it.
    Great quilt for a great cause.
    TFS.

~Geralldine

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

One of my favorite patterns and I think you used the fabrics in just the right proportions. Pink isn't one of my top colors but it works well with black. Hope it makes lots of cash for the cause.

• maritime_linda
    12 years ago

A great choice of pattern for making the most of a small amount of colour. Very striking! The bright modern look should be very appealing at the Relay. Good luck on your ticket sales.

Linda

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I can't read :) I see it is for a raffle - Very Good idea to top stitch down the narrow flange.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Lovely choice of colors and using up your pink. It makes a striking quilt. I hope they make lots of money with it.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Donna, the quilt is stunning. Great job using the pink. Can you explain what a "flange" is, please? Is it just a narrow inner border? What did you mean when you said you top-stitched the flange to keep it from getting caught during the quilting? Is there a black border and then black binding? Sorry for all the questions. Lois

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone!
    Lois, the flange was inserted in the seam between the quilt top and the black border. We cut a strip 1.5 inches wide and folded it wrong sides together the long way. It was sewn in the seam with the border and top the way piping would be inserted in a seam. That left the folded edge loose for the quilting foot to catch on when machine quilting. I top stitched the loose edge to the border so it would lie flat for quilting. Hope that helps!
    The binding will match the border. Someone else from the quilt group is putting the binding on it.
    Linda OH

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I think it is a beautiful quilt! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• polardream
    12 years ago

beautiful job!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Oh, I just love how B&W sets off a small amount of color! You did a great job.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Perfect use of that intense pink! It turned out great!