Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2012 Quilt for Relay for Life

Posted by lindaoh (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 11:59

My small quilt group makes a quilt every year to raffle for Relay for Life and I quilt it. This year we were given a very bright pink piece of fabric to use in the quilt. It is a very strong color and we knew we had to use it in small pieces. We decided to use it as the center block in a Disappearing Nine Patch with black and white fabric. We all agree that it is one of the most striking quilts we have made for Relay.
We had a lot of the fabric left so we put a small flange of the pink between the quilt top and the border. One reason we went with the flange is because of the size. If it was any larger, it wouldn't fit on my quilt frame.
I quilted it with a loopy meandering pattern.
Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Black and White quilt for Relay for Life

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2012 Quilt for Relay for Life

Great use of the bright pink. Wonderful idea to use each individual's Black & Whites for blocks. I love it!!
What fabric did you use on the back?

Do you auction the quilt? If so, it should bring alot of money for a worthy cause.

o

You used the pink very well. Any more and it would have taken over. (grin) Keeping white in the 4 spot helped, too. Good job!!

SharonG/FL

o

That is so fun. I know many a teenage girl who would love that! And the flange looks nice as well. I hope you sell a lot of raffle tickets.

Amy

o

Gorgeous!! The teens I know are still into bright neon pink and black!

o

It's beautiful.
I also know a few teen girls that would love it.
Great quilt for a great cause.
TFS.

~Geralldine

o

One of my favorite patterns and I think you used the fabrics in just the right proportions. Pink isn't one of my top colors but it works well with black. Hope it makes lots of cash for the cause.

o

A great choice of pattern for making the most of a small amount of colour. Very striking! The bright modern look should be very appealing at the Relay. Good luck on your ticket sales.

Linda

o

I can't read :) I see it is for a raffle - Very Good idea to top stitch down the narrow flange.

o

Lovely choice of colors and using up your pink. It makes a striking quilt. I hope they make lots of money with it.

o

Donna, the quilt is stunning. Great job using the pink. Can you explain what a "flange" is, please? Is it just a narrow inner border? What did you mean when you said you top-stitched the flange to keep it from getting caught during the quilting? Is there a black border and then black binding? Sorry for all the questions. Lois

o

Thank you everyone!
Lois, the flange was inserted in the seam between the quilt top and the black border. We cut a strip 1.5 inches wide and folded it wrong sides together the long way. It was sewn in the seam with the border and top the way piping would be inserted in a seam. That left the folded edge loose for the quilting foot to catch on when machine quilting. I top stitched the loose edge to the border so it would lie flat for quilting. Hope that helps!
The binding will match the border. Someone else from the quilt group is putting the binding on it.
Linda OH

o

I think it is a beautiful quilt! :-)

Best to you,
Sandra

o

beautiful job!

o

Oh, I just love how B&W sets off a small amount of color! You did a great job.

beverly

o

Perfect use of that intense pink! It turned out great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here