Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Beach Glass is finished!

loisflan
10 years ago

I finally finished Weeks Ringle & Bill Kerr's Beach Glass quilt. In general, I'm happy with the results, but this quilt goes into the "every quilt teaches you something" category for sure. This is the one that teaches you how important choosing the right colors can be. The range of colors I used should have been narrower - the darks, not so dark; the lights, not so light. My husband says it reminds him of a DNA analysis.

I haven't decided on a home for it yet, but I'm sure something will come up. Thanks for looking.

Comments (20)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I like the diversity of the darks and lights, Lois. I'm thinking if you had narrowed your choices, it wouldn't have the impact it has now.....there wouldn't be a good 'range' of shades. I like it as is! Good job!!!

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Ditto Sharon's comments
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Lois, I'm of the same opinion as Sharon...,love your choices. It's really very nice and and I especially like your fm quilting, it really works with this style. Lovely ...!!!
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Lois~I like your quilt also.......but in the "spirit" of making Weeks Ringle & Bill Kerr's Beach Glass quilt.....I understand why you feel the range of colors should have been condensed. I've read their books, love their modern quilts, but find choosing their colors and shades for an exact interpretation of their patterns a bit daunting perhaps because I am comfortable with bright and high contrast. That said---I still like your range of colors, and someone will be thrilled to receive this quilt.

I am anxious to see what you have chosen for the Transparency quilt -- that shading will be really important for a successful outcome if I recall correctly.

Their modern quilts are all about color and shade, and we can all learn from them. You are going to be an expert! Thanks for sharing what you learned on the Beach Glass.

• calliope
    10 years ago

It is really striking, and I especially like the way you quilted it. The blocks are so clean and crisp. Lovely job.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Well,I've never heard of the quilt designers, so don't know their style, but I really like your quilt! Love the range of cool colors.

Great job!

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

I understand what you're saying about the range of colors. some are too dark to evoke the name "Beach Glass". My wife-in-law lives on the Florida coast and has a huge collection of beach glass, which I envy, LOL.

BUT!! LOIS!! This quilt is stunning! I absolutely love it. If it doesn't have a home yet, send it here!

DNA analysis - I love it.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I googled the designers and can see what you were trying to achieve. However, it is a beautiful quilt and I too love the lights and darks. If someone didn't know the look you were going for, they would think it was exactly as you planned.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Your plan, your quilt, your achievement.
    A+ all the way.
    I think we get locked in sometimes to a designer's vision and while we try to stay true to their idea, it might work out better for us if we add a little of our own creativity.
    Theresa

• day2day
    10 years ago

It's lovely!
    You made a beautiful quilt.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I think design, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I think your interpretation is lovely and has become "your design" and not a copy of someone else's. Well done.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

I like yours better than the bland one. I think it's great.

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I'm haven't seen what it's "supposed" to look like, but I sure like what you have!! Very nice. I have a blue bedroom it would look beautiful in!

Robbi

• lola99
    10 years ago

I agree with everyone's comments. I understand the look of your quilt is different from the original design (I looked it up) but I like your quilt better. I really think your quilt is stunning.

• loisflan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a wonderful group of quilting friends you all are. Your support is really meaningful to me. Thank you so much.

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

I don't think you should have changed a thing. It is beautiful just as you made it. Good job!

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Lois I love your quilt! I love beach themed stuff. What an awesome quilt! Thanks for sharing a pic of it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• csackett
    10 years ago

You did a great job! I, also, love the colors. I have bought the book and this one is on my to do list.

• fran1523
    10 years ago

Your quilt is stunning and your interpretation of the one in the book. Why would you want to make the same quilt. Honestly it's a beautiful quilt and you did a great job. Be proud; someone will treasure it!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. I like your choices and think the quilt is gorgeous!

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County