Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Quilt backings

meldy_nva
10 years ago

Has anyone dealt with Marshall Dry Goods (online as marshalldrygoods.com) for material? I came across the site and it looks really good! but maybe too good to be true?

They have oodles of 108" quilt backings and the price is about 1/2 what I paid for the last one. And the yard goods... I've bought some of the fabric patterns locally and quality was top-notch; which doesn't mean all items are great, but then it's always chancy to buy online. Nevertheless, at about 1/2 what I've been paying, I'm *almost* ready to invest in some more fabric, especially as I need to get the backing for the next quilt!

Comments (5)

• calliope
    10 years ago

I just googled their name and customer reviews and came up with this page were some quilters who have used them were comparing notes. You may want to check it out. I have seen similar material for the same prices on sale at places like JoAnns, without coupons and that tells me that to retail it for that price means that it probably does still return some profit. I'd call with a few skus to a customer rep and ask for thread counts. That's what I compare when buying things like sheets and you'll note the higher the count, ther the weave and more expensive it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: tallking about their purchases

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

No, I haven't had any dealings with Marshall Dry Goods and only know what is found on the internet. As with any online purchase, we take our chances.

I bought backing at Walmart yesterday and am super happy with it.

SharonG/FL

• Karenfae
    10 years ago

I live about 2 1/2 hours from Marshalls and have gone to the store several times. Some of the fabric is same quality as in quilt shops and some is a little inferior. Overall I have liked what I bought but I was able to feel the fabric. I have ordered on line and what I bought I liked. The 108" backing fabric is ok but I found I needed to wash it first to soften it up a little bit - some of it feels a little stiff - this is not a problem I believe if you machine quilt--but I hand quilt and found it a little harder to needle through. If I can help in other questions let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: quilts...etc.

• kiendu
    10 years ago

I also have bought from Marshall. I've been happy every time but once, but they allowed me to return it, no questions asked. It wasn't the quality I was unhappy with... the fabric smelled. Thinking it was in a warehouse and a mouse or something died in that area. It really reaked.. and it was covered in plastic, but the smell was overwhelming.

But, I returned it and they credited my account the same day it was received back.

I get emails from them every day, telling me what the specials are... sometimes with free shipping. They have great prices, very worth ordering if you can justify the quanity on the bolt and can use it all.

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your comments.

I do shop online quite a bit, even with the added cost of shipping, prices are often better than local. I've found that some well-known sites are as good or better than recommended, and one highly recommended site that has been extremely disappointing in spite of their lovely catalogs and nice website - I can understand it taking over a month to receive an order [from NH in January], but it's been that long each of the 3 times I ordered, and the last order included several items that were nowhere near the colors expected. Fabric quality seems to be chancy whether online or local; I've had stuff that was really awful after a wash, and stuff that was wonderful. No way to really be sure until it's home and prepped.

Marshall's seems to sell from 1 yard up, and I think that's okay for a trial. :)

Sharon ~ I live within 15 miles of 4 Walmarts and I haven't seen fabric in any of them! The next nearest is about 25 miles and I haven't been there. I'll take a look the next time I'm in that vicinity. Thanks for mentioning them.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living