Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Featherweight case

K8Orlando
12 years ago

I know many of you have old Singer Featherweights and they probably all came with a case. Depending on the age of the machine, some of the cases are soft, but most I think are the old cardboard-ish hard cases.

Do you use the original case or have you transferred your machine to something newer, maybe with wheels? If you have, what did you find that the machine fits into nicely? I saw a camera case that would be great but it was way too expensive.

If you are using the original case, have you done anything with it? I saw a couple recently that had been decoupaged with fabric and they looked wonderful! Would that be featherweight sacrilege, to alter the case? Or maybe a cozy made of pretty fabric(s).

That original container is just too plain for me to leave it alone...

Comments (5)

• User
    12 years ago

Historic value on the case would deteriorate if you decorated it - if you may want to sell it in the future. But the flip side is it is YOUR machine and case. What pleases you? If you are traveling with your machine then it needs to be cased for protection. These machines are going to be used for years to come given the interest in them and their portability plus just a great darn old machine.

I've never thought of decorating the case - now you have me eyeballing a bunch of other UGLY more modern cases and thinking...oh dear....now you've started something! LOL.

Go with your heart! If you do decoupage it please share a photo afterwards.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When I was looking for my featherweight I intended to buy one that was in bad shape, have it painted/enameled in an intricate new design and fix it up. I knew that would have a negative impact on the value because dedicated fw people want it to look like a fw. But I didn't care and had even found a motorcycle shop that did custom paint work who was very interested in working with me to do something unusual and fun. Normally they talk about 'ghost flames' as a design on bikes but these guys took to the 'ghost Log Cabin and ghost Ohio Stars' like they were quilters! Then I found the machine I wanted at a great price; it was in beautiful shape with perfectly preserved decals - and it didn't seem right to strip it and paint over it. Someday I'll find a ratty old thing with badly worn paint and I'll bling it up, but not on this one.

Old cases are available on eBay for under $20 so I don't think I'll degrade the value of the set too much. You're right though: I don't think I'll ever want to sell this one. I'll leave the machine alone, but I don't think I can resist messing with the case.

• User
    12 years ago

Mess away then! Have some fun - I'm sure you will.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I have two and both cases are stored and not used. I don't like that extra weight and bulk. But I save them because I realize they will affect the value after I'm gone.

I travel with mine wrapped in a cozy I made from quilted fabric just to fit it. I wrap the cords and pedal in a pouch and shove it inside the arm before closing it up.

I didn't wrap the cord up into it's pouch for the picture because I sew on this a lot and have the cord secured under the table. But, it slides into the middle just fine.

Anyone need more details on making it, send me an e-mail.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I have a teal and white/tan case that I do not use.
    many of the cases that you see for cheap are really musty and stinky. Mine is in excellent condition and does not smell.
    I bought a softsided black case made to fit FW's for mine. When I decided to go to Retreat last year, I found a TravelPro 16" Rolling Tote that fits the FW in the softsided case. I also packed a bunch of other stuff inside and the entire tote fit under the airplane seat. I found this tote at Tuesday Morning for $59.99 the day before I left. I like the tote alot and I have used it when I take my FW to workshops.

My pretty little FW~just for fun! :) Notice the fold down table is smaller.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolling Tote