Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

Severe weather - check in please!

polardream
13 years ago

Seeing all of the severe weather reports for the Midwest - East I have been worrying about so many of our quilting friends here on GardenWeb. Please let us know if you are okay! I am keeping you all in prayer.

Sue/polardream

Comments (36)

• benken
    13 years ago

Here in NW Ohio, we're under a tornado watch for the rest of the afternoon. But so far this season we've had RAIN and more RAIN with some wind, but nothing like they've been hit with in the South.

I've also been wondering about some of them down that way...hope everyone is OK.

Linda

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

I'm with Linda in NW Ohio - & so tired of rain I could scream!! But at least the flooding they've been calling for in our city has not happened. And I have faith it won't.
    Hoping like crazy to hear from those in the southwest & south. Can we PLEASE have an UNeventful summer??!!

~Cindy

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

Another Linda checking in from NW Ohio. I agree Cindy, enough rain! I'm in Defiance County and included in the tornado watch.
    Linda OH

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

Checking in here from E. TN in Knoxville. We had a storm cell roll through yesterday evening that was rather destructive. No tornado, just straight line winds with lots of trees and power lines down. My DD and I were at the ballpark when it hit. We rode it out in my vehicle. Boy, that was fun! We are expecting nasty weather again tomorrow.

Arkansas and West TN are looking scary right now.

Rebecca

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Rebecca, Those straight line winds can be as destructive as a tornado. A few years ago, my DD's roof was taken off by what was determined to be straight line winds. It happened during the night and the train sound woke up my daughter so she gathered the kids into the bathroom.

Here in Indiana we've been under tornado watch all afternoon and evening and flash flood warning til tomorrow. It's been raining but nothing very bad.

SharonG/FL-IN

• polardream
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to hear from you all. I hope this weather settles down and you are all safe!
    Sue

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I'm in Northwest Arkansas. We've had severe flash flooding here. Our house was filled at one point, and our yard had a river running through it. There have been 9 deaths due to flooding, so we're (my family, I have 7 kids) lucky that all we had is some property damage. In the big scheme of things, that isn't bad at all.
    I hope everyone else is doing OK! Stay safe & dry!
    Melissa

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

We're fine. I was up at 5am with the tornado sirens, putting shoes on sleepy (and grouchy I might add) teenagers, as there were three tornadoes signatures on radar withing thirty miles of our house. I don't know if they touched down to do damage or not, but all that happened here is my climber rose broke a cane at the base, and my iris got the snot beat out of them.

• jackier123
    13 years ago

We had tornadoes in SE TN and NW GA this morning. No fatalities thank goodness. Lots of damage to buildings and trees. We are going to get another round in the next couple of hours.

Jackie

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

It's about 3:30 pm in central North Carolina and we are under a tornado watch - along with about 30 other counties in NC. It is windy here at times, but so far no rain and no tornado warnings. This has been the windiest spring (including Feb. and March) that I have ever experienced in my area. And it's not even hurricane season yet!

Teresa, who has that "windblown" look

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Round 2 for the day brought more tornadoes to the area. We fortunately did not have any close by. We did have quarter size hail for a while though. Round 3 to come later this evening.

Jackie

• grammyp
    13 years ago

We had a bad line of storms early this morning. Blew some siding off the house and blew over a tree in neighbor's yard. Then it got sunny, so we cleaned up the tree, patched the siding, and now the second round is starting. Tornado hit the hospital in Cullman (where my parent's live) and one passed over their house and hit a few miles away. Supposed to get bad here about the time I get off work, so may spend some extra time here.

I'll check in when I get home.
    beverly

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

Hey Jackie, wow the 411 corridor is really getting hammered today! Knoxville has been relatively quiet so far.

Rebecca

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Round 3 brought more tornadoes and 1 fatality. Hail was the size of baseballs. Trees down everywhere to the point that the Emergency Management Services has asked for civilian help in using chain saws. I live in Cleveland, TN.

Jackie

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    we are soggy but ok in North-West Missouri.
    glade to hear from everyone
    michelle

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Last round has brought many many casualties. One whole city, Ringgold, GA was virtually wiped out. Parts of the county that I live in are devastated. Death count is rising. Thankfully, my neighborhood just had some downed trees and hail damage.

Jackie

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Well, I am home. So far 3 hospitals have been hit, Brownsferry Nuclear Plant was hit by lightening much of the northern part of the state is without power. Close to 50 dead and 100s injured. Hackelburg, AL is all but wiped out, Tuscaloosa is unrecognizable, Cullman is severely damaged, Birmingham was hit by at least 1 huge tornado. We have heard from all of our family and everyone is ok, but so many aren't. It is a very sad day.

beverly

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Hoot! I drove my son the 45 minutes to MTSU today for his 12:40 class just because it looked to be going to rain so hard. We joked around, because it was really only a light rain the whole way. I haven't driven him anywhere since he got his new car last October. I had to go pick him back up after an evening final at 7pm. I got there, and he had his shoes off and his pant legs rolled up over his knees. It had rained more. He collapsed into the car and told me "letting you drive me was the best decision I've made in my whole life!" He told me about the flooding on campus, two foot rivers streaming across campus--we drove to the parking lot by his dorm and he showed me the new lake where he always parks, other cars submerged up to their windows. There were several kids who got hold of kayaks. Heh, he thinks we're psychic.

He was pretty sweet, leaning forward in his seat as we turned into out street. "Yeah! There it is! Safe and sound."

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

Jackie, glad to hear you are safe!

It got rough here after dark. Lot of hail damage and flooding in the area. I was lying in bed thinking about the huge rotting maple tree in my neighbor's yard about 40 feet from my head. My house looks like a matchbox next to this tree. I REALLY wish they would have it removed!

Rebecca

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I am glad everyone is safe- so many are not. I can't believe this devastation from these storms.
    VA got some very bad storms also - has anyone heard from Jennifer?

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

We are under another tornado watch this morning until noon. Other than the rattling of my 100 year old windows waking me up and traffic light problems, we have not had any major damage that I could see on my way to work this morning. Greensboro next door had hail last night, then the major storm cells drifted north and east of me. I hope Jennifer and family are all right.

Please pray that these horrendous storms cease! Many locations are still recovering from the previous storm when they get socked again. My heart goes out to all of you here and the areas hit so badly.

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

So glad to see our dear friends checking in here safe and sound! Sending prayers out to all who have been impacted by these intense storms.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Thank you for the updates. So glad that you're all ok.

SharonG/FL-IN

• nannykins
    13 years ago

I hope this is the end of this terrible weather. We are quite lucky here in southwestern Ontario. We have just had way too much rain and there have been a number of tornado watches but nothing beyond that. Praying for all of you affected by this.
    Theresa

• polardream
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am so glad everyone is okay. The damage has been so severe - and the weather channel says that May could be worse! Has anyone heard from Jennifer?? Along the front range in Colorado we have just had a little rain and wind. Amazingly, our big concern is for fire danger! My son lives near Vail and it just continues to snow there ... Everyone continue to be safe - I keep praying for everyone.
    Sue

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I just called Jennifer and they are all doing fine. All they had was a little rain. Baby is sleeping thru most nights, Cynthia, Jason, and Amanda love their new sister and are helping Mom.

Teresa

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Our county is up to 9 fatalities now with many people still unaccounted for. My husband and I have been out all day with a chain saw crew trying to help get trees out of houses. We had 5 tornadoes in the county. I feel so fortunate to have survived.

Jackie

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Thanks Teresa! That's what I was thinking, the really bad storms were near her area, although nothing like the southern states who are getting hit very hard. Cheery news she had a girl and she is sleeping :).

Jackie-you are lucky! So sad for all those who are going thru this. Keeping all in my prayers.

• jennifer_in_va
    13 years ago

Sorry to have worried everyone! We've had only rain and some wind...nothing significant... so I never thought to check in with everyone.

There was a tornado (a rarity) viewed by friends last night at rush hour about 20 miles north of here, but I don't think it touched down.

The kids and new baby are doing fine! Everyone settling in to their new roles, and baby Melanie is only waking up once per night, so MOm here feels quite human! I'll try to post pictures soon.

Thanks for worrying about me!!!

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Glad everyone is ok Jennifer. Of course we worry, you are family.

beverly

• equilter
    13 years ago

Glad to hear everyone is OK. You are all in our prayers.... Eileen

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

My heart goes out to all of you in the areas threatened by these unusually hard storms. We have been blessed and pray that all gets better for others. Looking a the pictures of the devastation I can't begin to understand how one can't feel blessed to have survived. Alb. has had more then their share of tragic storms in the past few years. I know that others are also suffering.

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I've been so worried about Beverly in Sylacauga. I'm so glad they are okay up in Cullman. What a disaster. My heart goes out to all those folks. Such a year.

• lola99
    13 years ago

I'm glad that so many of you have checked in. Take care.

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

So sad reading about all the devastation in the States. Glad that most people I know are OK. It doesn't seem that long ago when Australia was having lots of floods and Cyclones and bushfires. Our TV News has been broadcasting scenes of the devastation caused by the tornadoes.

Kristene

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

We had bad weather with hail in our area about 3 weeks ago. The news reported 16,000 acres of onions destroyed. We were expecting the severe weather again, but all we had was 1 inch of badly needed rain. It is so sad watching the news, the economy is so bad that I think many will have a hard time starting over. The news interviewed a man last night that had not eaten since breakfast the previous day. Prayers to the world!!!!!
    Rosa