Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Lotto Blocks = Finished Quilt!

solstice98
13 years ago

In February I was lucky and won the blue/white star lotto blocks.

Here's what they looked like:

I decided to sash them in yellow and had planned to do star cornerstones but at the last minute I was afraid it would be too busy, so I went with a different white/yellow dotted fabric for the cornerstones. I used the same fabric for the binding. For the center block, I used 4 sun faces taken from fabric I had in my stash.

The backing is a sunshine yellow Minky I found at fabric.com. My local stores only carry the pastel Minkys so I was excited to find this color. I'm covering a few pillows with it too, to be used on the sofa (actually a futon) in my sewing room. It's my favorite napping, reading, TV watching spot. This cozy, soft quilt - with squares made by several of you wonderful forum people - is MY quilt for MY sewing room! LOL. Everyone who has felt the Minky backing has asked for the quilt, including DH Jim. NO! This one is just for ME! I've given away so many in the past year that I do not feel selfish at all keeping this one. The cats love it too, of course, and knead their paws on the backing purring like crazy. (I have one planned for Jim with soft flannel backing and old Americana tavern sign prints, but it's a surprise. See, I'm not totally mean and selfish!)

I used very simple quilting because the Minky doesn't lend itself well to free motion quilting.

A big THANK YOU to everyone who participated in the Feb 2010 lotto!

Kate

Comments (17)

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Kate, beautiful job!!

I'm glad you're keeping it for yourself. I think we all give away so many quilts that it feels "selfish" to keep one for ourselves. We need to get over that, LOL.

• fran1523
    13 years ago

That is a very special quilt. I love the yellow sashing and that center sun block is a unique touch. Enjoy.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Very, very sunny! Perfect for you and only you! I can't remember - sorry - did you use a ltwgt batting? I need to try the minky - I've only seen the pastels locally at Joanns.
    Your design is perfect for the blocks.

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

How is that Minky to sew? Any problems? Special stitch length, tension, thread, etc.? Love the quilt, I bet the cats think it is just for them. Lucky cats, I'm jealous!

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

That has some seriously high snuggle factor! Great job, love the yellow.

Rebecca

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Lovely quilt. I just love the color you chose. Good job.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First of all, it was easy to sew but required Lots more pinning than I normally do. It has more give although it's not what I would call stretchy. I used regular settings for tension.

For the batting I used an old flannel sheet. It had been my mothers and a favorite of hers in a muted flower pattern. All these years and I just hadn't been able to get rid of it even tho it didn't fit on any of our beds. But for this it was better than perfect! So a big memory of Mom is in my snuggle quilt. Like a forever hug.

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Great job! I love the yellow with the lotto blocks - good choice!

Teresa

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Kate, it is beautiful! Love the yellow with the blue & white blocks. And I love your "inspector", too!

One of our goofy cats helps us make the bed almost every day - we call him Inspector 12 (remember the old Hanes underwear commercials?).

Donna

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Nice use of your lotto blocks, Kate. It will have lots of nice memories as you snuggle. Good choices. TFS Jayne

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Very nice! It does look snuggly--makes me want a nap.

• day2day
    13 years ago

It looks so snugly. Lots of memories for you too.

~Geraldine

• User
    13 years ago

Wow, I wouldn't have thought of the bright yellow, but I love it! And the center is perfect!

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Kate~What a wonderful way to use your Mother's flannel sheet.
    I understand the closeness you will feel in this Sentimental Snuggle Quilt to both your GW friends and your Mom. Sweet:)

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Beautiful! And I love that Minky fabric. I have some jammies made that that fabric and love them :-)

• woodenzoo
    13 years ago

Beautiful quilt Kate!
    It's great seeing what became of the lotto blocks.
    Cathy

• jck1210
    13 years ago

Super snuggly and super cute with the yellow!! I love the piece of your mom tied into it also, that's wonderful!!