Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

For The Troops

This is the free pattern NQA put on their website for National Quilting Day. Not sure if I'll take the time to do the extra row of white squares and then the HST of white and yellow, so this will probably go on the UFO list. And, no, it wasn't on my list of goals this month. It's approx 24"x50"....I might play with it to make a smaller one...but I really like the ribbon.

SharonG/FL

Comments (15)

• grammyp
    14 years ago

I like that one. Must have missed the pattern, or was it recently added? If you make smaller squares it would be a nice wall hanging.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It was for this years NQD. Maybe I'll hang it inside (rather than the porch side) between the blinds and the sliding glass door so it can be seen from the road. I made a banner during 9/11 that's been hanging on the porch ever since so it's a little (a lot) faded now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tie One On.....For the Troops

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link Sharon. If you don't do the extra row of white squares, maybe do a white border - I couldn't tell it was a tree until I saw the pic in the link - maybe it's just me :). I see it in yours now that I know....... I do really like the ribbon ~ I also like the pattern. Thank you!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I plan to put a white border on it and then maybe piano keys of white and yellow....not sure about that one. Sorry for not making it clear.....it was really too early for me to be posting. Planning to cut 2" squares in preparation for the next one. @:)

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link. Think I will sort my scraps and see what I have available. Won't be long I'll have plenty to make one.

beverly

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Having seen the picture in the link I would definitely add another row. Wouldn't have to do the HSTs although they look great.

It's a great quilt and would look wonderful hanging in the window.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK....finished putting on the last border yesterday. Had to play with it as I had miscalculated the HST's coming together on the top and bottom....I don't know if I like it or not. I might see if I have any gold fabric for the center bottom square and replace the brown....tried to make it look like an extention of the tree trunk.....sigh.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I like the brown - gives the bottom some weight. I really like the border.

If you do anything....and I'm not suggesting that it needs anything, I would do a "Support our Troops", or USA in that spot or something like that.
    This turned out really nice! How big is it?

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Well done. When I look at it the first thought was " I love Trees" which is one of my things. I realize that is not the symbolism but just thought I would pass it along.
    I like the way the borders are done. Nice job. TFS Jayne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Marsha. I like the idea of the lettering and might do that but do it later. @:) It's about 37" x 62" .. a crazy size. Seems to be too narrow for a lap quilt and too long for a wallhanging. @:(

Thank you, Jayne.

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    13 years ago

I think the border looks great. Gives it a nice finished look.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Beverly.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol....almost 2 years later and this UFO is completed! This is for you, Marsha.

Hoping you can see Marsha's great quilting....

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Thanks Sharon! I love this quilt!! I'm glad you picked the brown to bind it. I had some brown that was perfect, but not enough or I would have sent it to you. I didn't want to influence your decision on color.
    I am sure your family who is receiving this will be thrilled!

• day2day
    11 years ago

Congrats on the finish, Sharon.
    Wonderful quilt.
    Marsha's quilting looks great.

~Geraldine