coosavalleyquilter

Guild row quilt

coosavalleyquilter
11 years ago

We are making a row quilt at my guild for this years challenge, 6 blocks wide

Comments (10)

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Hmmmm...not sure what you mean by this...so does everyone just do one row??

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

And, is that in the form of a question??

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Does that mean that every row is 6 blocks wide? I think row quilts are more interesting when each row can be blocks of any size as long as they are the same width as the original row.

JMO,
    Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Is there a general theme to the quilt to tie the rows together?

• coosavalleyquilter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maritime_linda
    Everyone is making their own quilt that is 6 blocks wide by 5 rows down.
    Yes this was a question, the blocks finish 12x12 in. I can't decide whether to try to stay in the same color family for the whole quilt or make each row a different set of colors since each row is made of different blocks. Any suggestions?

Joanie

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

The only row quilt I have made was the 12 rows of Christmas where every row related to the winter holiday.
    I thought that using a theme was a good idea. The blocks in a row were all the same pattern but done with different fabrics. Color could be introduced this way.

• polardream
    11 years ago

Joanie,
    Most of the "row quilts" I have seen have some sort of theme. I attached a Pinterest link that has pictures of several row quilts. You can also google "row quilts" and find several links that might be helpful.

If you are making more of a sampler quilt that has 5 rows of blocks and the block stays the same within each row, you might want to stay in the same "family" of colors and the variation would be the block that changes from row to row.

Here are a couple other links that might be helpful.
    Good luck and post a picture when you get going on this!

Sue

http://bomquilts.com/Free-ROM-Quilt-Patterns.php

http://www.thequiltercommunity.com/Wc9fd88603733a.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Row quilts

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Joanie, thanks for the explanation and Sue, I enjoyed looking at your link. Love Pinterest! I love the idea of a row quilt on a theme. Lots of great ones in that link. Hope we get to see the finished product. Are there any other guidelines to the challenge, ie, one particular fabric or colour that everyone must use?

• coosavalleyquilter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maritime_linda
    No, there is no theme, and no common fabric that we all have to use. The lady coordinating this project gives us all a new pattern for the next row every other month. We have two months to complete each row. The first row was an Ohio star pattern. We will get final instructions in OctoberI think to finish by December. Thanks for all of the responses. I'll try to get pictures when I can.

Again thanks everyone.
    Joanie

• polardream
    11 years ago

Joanie,
    Since you are doing a row that has the same pattern in each square, I think you might like to have some variation in your colors. I would find one or two "anchor" colors that you really like and plan to use them in every square - whether it's a off-white background color, or a bright red. Then you can use coordinating fabrics but still have a "controlled scrappy" look. Good luck.
    Sue