Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinyteena

Quilt Retreat 2012

Kristene Smith
12 years ago

I wasn't sure if I should say anything just yet, but Beverly said many people already know, but for those who don't - I'm coming to the US this Oct for the Quilt Retreat! Finally it's happening. This is my 60th Birthday present to myself. I'm catching up with a number of quilting/crafting friends I've never met, just sent swaps to and been e-mailing over the years - and homestaying before and after camp.

Quiltpartner is bringing me to camp and I leave with grammyp, catching up with Marie & hazelnutbunny and going on a trip with sandlapperrose to Washington DC, Amish areas and Buffalo/Niagara, then up into NH and finally over to redrosey in Oregon before heading back to Australia. About 4 weeks or so.

It's been 20 years since I was in the US and I have never been in the Southern states, NH or Oregon, so I'm really looking forward to meeting all the wonderful people I've been writing to and seeing the sights.

Kristene

Comments (25)

• jackier123
    12 years ago

That is sooooo cool! I hope to be at the retreat this year. It would be great to meet you.

Jackie

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Yea! I'm planning to be there too!

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

WHOOOHOOOO!!!! I, of course, will see you at retreat. But also let me know when you're in DC. I'll try to catch up with you then as well...

What a wonderful birthday trip! Definitely one to remember! You'll have so much fun!

Let us know what we can have on hand for you so you can do some stitching while you're here./

• Kristene Smith
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It sure will be great to meet up with you all that I have been swapping with in the Birthday Block Exchanges. Thanks for the offer of bringing things for me Jennifer, but Beverly (grammyp) has it all arranged. She's taking an extra machine, scissors, ruler, cutting mat etc. I plan to post all my blocks, fabric and cottons over to her early enough so she can take them with her to the camp. At the end of camp I will be leaving with Beverly and her husband and returning to their home in Alabama. I will then box everything up again and post my pieced top (hopefully) back to Australia, so I don't have to cart it around for the rest of the trip.

Jennifer - after Easter, Jeanne (sandlapper rose) will be organising our trip to Washington DC so will know the dates then & can let you know.

Kristene

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Wooty toot toot! This is fantastic! Finally we get to meet our Tinyteena! Won't our retreat be extra special this year?

Teresa

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

How exciting. I'd love to meet you, too. I'm still looking at the way the calendar is shaping up before I can commit. I sure hope I can meet you ladies, too :-)

Robbi

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Tina~What a fantastic vacation and Birthday celebration! I will be there also. I can't wait to meet you! And all the other new faces.
    Yippee!

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I am so excite for you. Much of the happiness is in the planning and it sounds like you have it well under way. I wish that I were able to be part of the expected good times but unfortunately it isn't in the cards. If you are driving across NY on you way to NH perhaps you will pass thou my town on you way from Buffalo, it is only 70 miles away. Enjoy every minute and will look forward to the continuing details.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Guess who will get the prize for coming the farthest this year. Sorry Faye, better luck next year. We are plotting some surprises, too. I'm so excited to have her come home with me. This is gonna be great fun.

beverly

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

How exciting! It would be great if I too could attend the retreat this year......will take a closer look at dates etc.

If you have a firm date for Niagara/Buffalo perhaps we could meet up there. I live in Canada but only 1 hour from Niagara Falls.

Mary

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

WooooHoooo, sure am looking forward to meeting you Kristene (and the rest of you who will be there) as I'm planning to be at the retreat this year, too.

SharonG/FL

• mrs.santaclaus
    12 years ago

Hey, looking forward to the retreat again this year. Even though I still consider myself a newbie to the group...I had such a great time that I plan on returning.

• lola99
    12 years ago

Wow Kristene, that is fantastic! I have never been to the retreat. Perhaps there is a way that I can try to make it work this year. It sure would be great to meet you (and all the others who attend!)

Lola

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Jennifer, How many table spaces for machines can the upstairs accommodate? Was it 16 or 18?

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Kristene my DGD was in love with Steve, she had all of his toys and her dream was to travel to meet him. The little girl cried for weeks when he died.
    This will be my first retreat, my sister usually visits from CA at that time. I am so looking forward to it!!!

See everyone there!!!
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

If table space is an issue, would it help if those of us driving brought a couple folding tables? From what I've heard, we need at least one table just for food! ;~))

Kate

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Yay! How exciting that you can come from so far away. As I was reading through these posts I was thinking I wouldn't be the farthest traveller, but then I saw Beverly already thought of that. I DEFINATELY don't mind giving up the crown. I like feeling like a 'local' haha. I suspect we are going to have quite a crowd this year. :)

Can't wait!
    Faye

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Kate, the camp furnishes tables and we just give them a number. So, save your space for the fabric you'll buy at Mary Jo's.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

As for space, in the past we've all had our own 6' table...lots of space. We may reach a point when we have to double up on tables, but wouldn't that be FANTASTIC to have that many interested in coming?!?!

Yes, the tables are available for the taking, it's just how we set them up to make them all fit, along with the snack table(s), the cutting tables, and the computer table. We will make room for everyone who wishes to be there!

Another thought to consider for campers is that we will probably need to share rooms this year. So consider who you could 'tolerate' sharing a room with. Don't need answers now, but consider it a likelyhood.

I know it's early in the year, but I think I'll start a new thread about who's planning on coming, just so we can see a list. Nothing needs to be in blood at this point!

It's gonna be a great year!!

• Kristene Smith
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm so happy that lots of people are planning to attend this year. It solves a big problem for me - how to get to meet you all! The camp is a great opportunity to bring so many people together in the one place, to sew and have lots of fun!
    After Easter I should have a better idea of my dates and flight schedules.

Kristene

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I am pleasantly amazed at all the planning & early response to Retreat! It will make the next 6 months so exciting!~

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Jennifer,
    I thought the same think when I was planning what project to take.

I STILL HAVE 6 MONTHS LOL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Well, I plan to be up north for at least half of that 6 months and only home a few weeks before retreat time. So, I'm ordering fabric (like I'm out) and plan to cut strips to take and make some easy strip quilts.....maybe. Gotta plan ahead of time.....

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

thank goodness I have 6 months. It will take me that long to dream up a project to take. I fly light so don't take the "bring-n-brag" quilts or extra clothes. My Mary Jo's purchases I have shipped home from the store. So, My project will probably be miniatures or paper piecing or something small. Thank heavens for the machine loaner from Theresa.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I was thinking it might be a great time to work on miniatures and/or hand applique. But in 6 months I could be on to something completely different! (short attention span quilter)

Kate

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County