Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

qotd-3/6/12 - Getting your groove on

jennifer_in_va
12 years ago

Does your sewing process slow down the longer your sewing session? Or do you 'get in the groove' and move quicker/more efficiently?

Today I was working on paper piecing sections for a New York Beauty workshop I'm taking in a few weeks (trying to get ahead) and had 15-20 minute segments of time to work on a section. I was able to work quickly, efficiently and quickly pop into my groove for those moments in time.

Tonight, however, it's late. I'm tired. I couldn't seem to find that groove and the sections took longer to complete. I was picking up the wrong fabrics (only had 2 to choose from), and I kept having to re-turn them the correct way. Seemed to take me forever! And tonight I actually had over an hour of dedicated time to sew! I'd have thought I could find my groove and really make progress!

So, how about you? Do find your groove quickly?

Comments (9)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Jennifer, I think I'm like you...it depends on the time of day, how well the project is going, etc.

I usually work pretty quickly at the beginning of a project, then pick up again when the end is in sight! I often get somewhat bored with a large project and slow down (or stop!), then have to talk myself back into it again.

Donna

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

When I'm tired, I don't even try to sew any more. I end up ripping out more than I sew! It also depends on what I'm doing. Saturday, I was getting one of my Stitcher's Garden blocks ready for the applique work, and just couldn't seem to get it together. I think I had too much on my mind to concentrate.

Robbi

• karpet
    12 years ago

I get bursts where I am very productive and then dead spots. For a long time I tried to push myself through the dead spots and just be more disciplined. But I've gotten to the point where I realize my creative juices just ebb and flow. There are times I keep motoring through a dead spot, but it is not nearly as productive as when I'm in a burst.
    Karlene

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

I try to choose projects that have a great variety of shapes or color. I also change thread colors or patterns to make the construction process fun.

My problem is eye strain, even with good lighting. I can only work for an hour at a time, then have to get up, walk around, or do stretching exercises or a load of laundry, or clean something or take a walk outside...anything to rest my eyes. Then I'm good to go again.

Julie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Julie, My eyes are also a problem....some days are groovier than others. Depends on if it's a full moon, where the sun is positioned or if it's raining on my special tin roof that day. @:)

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    12 years ago

Oh good Lordy. I was just thinking about this the other night when I was working on constructing sub-blocks. Somebody needed to come do an intervention, and yank me away from the sewing machine. I would sew the wrong part of two blocks together, take them apart and repeat the mistake two more times. When I'd get that right, then proceed to sew the next block on wrong. Or sew it on right, and forget to rotate the block so it looked wrong, and then take the proper seams apart. I wasn't tired, and I had a large block of time. Go figure.

I'm pretty good with spacial relationships, I can rotate patterns in my mind and see them from different directions, I used to do drafting and that was a necessary skill. So, it was very frustrating to not be able to see something so obviously in front of me.

I think there can be very subtle differences a person doesn't consciously notice, like not sleeping well the night before, a headache what hasn't ripened enough to realise you have one. Your mind somewhere else. Times like that you should either just quit or maybe switch gears to cutting out blocks. I stopped and cleaned up the mess in some fabric stash drawers and neatened up the sewing room. I mean, after all, this quilt is going to take a month or better to construct. What's an hour or two one night?

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

I like to do blocks assembly line method. I usually find my groove after the first couple pieces. I also find that if I am tired or have trouble seeing, it is time to stop for the day.
    I was trying to sew the day before I left to stay with DD and had trouble concentrating on the blocks. They weren't lining up correctly. I got home yesterday afternoon and picked it up again today. Everything is going together very easily now. I have learned I need to stop before I get too frustrated or it is hard for me to start working on it again.
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Like others have said, it's my eyes that quit on me first. The brain, arthritic hands, and back can take marathon sewing but the eye strain gets to me and I just can't focus. Sometimes just a few minutes away from the machine are enough to get me back to it but not always. I often work too late and pay for it the next day. But once I'm in the groove, either mentally or physically, it's hard to stop!

Especially with free motion quilting: I can either find that groove or I can't. If I can't within a couple minutes, I know it's the wrong day to be doing it.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

It happens but when I start ripping more then I sew I quit for the day. I have difficulty getting it together if I have put the project away for a while and then try to find my way again. I find when time is limited I use one session to organize and the next to sew and I am more in the groove. It is more attitude then time with me.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County