Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? March 29-30

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I plan to work on the t-shirt quilt unless the new grandson decides to arrive this weekend. His due date is Saturday and DDIL has been having symptoms this week. I finished his quilt on Wednesday, so I'm ready!
I have been working on the Quilty Fun Sew Along quilt and have the center finished. The directions for the border and finishing will be posted on Monday. I have really enjoyed making this quilt-along quilt from scraps.
What are you working on this weekend?
Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilty Fun Sew Along

Comments (19)

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I've been working on my Baby Honu quilt top for a long time now, and it's close to being finished. I wanted to quilt tonight, but I didn't want to work on turtles, so I found an easy baby quilt pattern made with HST in bright prints and solids with a white background. I was able to use scraps and some Kona white that I had left from some previous quilts - no new fabric purchases. I used scraps from nine quilts that I have made. How fun is that! I think I'll be able to finish the top this weekend and still finish the turtle quilt top too. I took tomorrow off and my husband is out of town, so I have a three day weekend to quilt. Yay!

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

I might, DH is working this weekend and tomorrow is supposed to be rainy. I have to mend a rag quilt that I washed yesterday, a couple of the seams separated in the wash. This was made from a bunch of upholstery samples that someone had given me and some of them are a little unstable (fraying). I hung it outside to dry because of the enormous amount of lint, then stupid me, when it was dry I shook it out and I was wearing a flannel shirt. LOL! I'm in the mood to make another quilt but can't decide on what. I've been looking at Sawtooth Stars a lot, that might be the answer. Since I'm working out of my stash it will probably wind up being scrappy or semi-scrappy.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Sounds like an exciting time for you, Linda. Love that quilt pattern with the bee on it. I have a colony of bees now for about five years in a tree near my kitchen and love watching them come and go, they're so friendly and industrious.

Yes, I suppose I shall find a few hours to work on my quilting........I plan for it in my day with my morning cuppa. It's a time I'm not very productive for any other chores and so pleasant from the bower of the sewing room as I'm waiting for my mouth to unglue and plan my day. My new project is coming along and the top is about 1/3 done now. I need 64 twelve inch blocks, and turn them out at the rate of one or two a day when I'm straightening the upstairs and put it aside till the next day. Sort of a painless way to make a quilt, and fun watching the stack of blocks get taller.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I have the baby quilt from you-know-where on the frame, bobbins filled, machine threaded - all ready to go. :) If I have a bit of ambition I'm sure I can quilt it today and get the binding sewn on.

I have an unexpected vacation day today so that gives me an extra day to sew! We are getting new software at work and the IT guy is doing the migration from old to new today. Since about 95% of my work is using the software there isn't much point in going to work today.

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I actually have a weekend with NOTHING on the schedule! (a very rare thing indeed). Today there are 2 different doctors appointments, but after that, nothing.

So, I hope to get some work done on my bargello. That's the current WIP and I would like to finish that so I can get to my mom's quilt (needs the borders quilted).

Buuuut, we're expecting a beautifully warm weekend, so there's outside stuff that needs doing. I want to turn part of the playset into a sandbox, so need to line it, fill it, and make a cover for it. I also need to move two blueberry bushes in preparation for water line work, so need to plan, dig, etc.

We're also shopping for a new stove, so that'll take some time if we manage to get to it!

Is winter finally over in the Mid-Atlantic?? We certainly hope so!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I have 6 more blocks to make for the Blue Ridge Beauty. The components are made and trimmed so just need to press and sew them together. I also sewing on a variation of Dancing 9-patch. Not sure how many blocks I want to do but certainly need more than 6 I have done now, so will be playing with those, too. Would also like to decide what I want to do for a border on that QOV Stash Attack so I can get that in the mail this week.

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    10 years ago

My quilt group is coming here tomorrow morning and we are going to make a Quilt of Valor. Hopefully we can get the top all pieced tomorrow and then one of our members will machine quilt it. WOOHOO! Last years is still in the works (the binding and label still need to be finished!) I will try to post pictures of our progress.

DH sold his car on Wednesday and is flying to Phoenix on Sunday to buy a new one (crazy, I know, but he found a new 2013 with 68 miles at a dealer down there and got a great price.) After I take him to the airport, I will have Sunday night until Wednesday to myself ... who knows how much I will get done!??

Sue

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Oh, I so hope so! Have one ready to quilt and one ready to put together.

beverly

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I slept most of yesterday after Wed.'s eye surgery but today I am feeling antsy and needed something to do. I had pulled out a couple of bags of scraps earlier thinking I would whittle those down. So this morning, I cut some newsprint squares to do some string squares. But as I was digging through one of the bags, I found a large ziplock bag filled with 2 1/2 in. Squares. I decided to piece those first, so I now have 220 plus two patches , all pressed waiting for the next step. But now, it is nap time.
    Theresa

This post was edited by nannykins on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 14:23

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Sounds like the eye surgery went well. Remember...don't overdo it!
    LindaB/CA

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Now I have 113 four patches waiting for inspiration.
    Today I did 12 string blocks and the bags/boxes won't empty.
    Theresa

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Friday I went to the Mancuso Quilt Show in Savannah, and today I cut the remainder of the medallions and melons I need for the double wedding ring quilt I started then set aside last fall.
    I realize now, after setting this aside, then deciding that I want this to be a queen size quilt rather than a lap quilt, that I needed a lot more medallions and melons. I was fortunate to have overbought, but unfortunate to still be short by 3 medallions.
    Luckily, I found the fabric online at a FL store, so Monday I will call them to order enough to complete the quilt.
    I'm almost finished piecing the arcs - 254 arcs total. Am on the last lot - more than 1/2 way through too.

My goal for April will be to get through dsd's wedding on Tybee Island April 11 and then finish piecing this double wedding ring quilt. And not go crazy between our new-build- construction and the wedding.

oh, big news that I almost forgot to mention, I'm heading back to Savannah tomorrow to pick up the Juki ti2000 that wanted to follow me home! Called the rep today and paid for it, so will pick it up tomorrow! Woohoo.

Sharon, don't know what your relationship is to Katie, but very happy to hear that she's beating cancer. It's a wicked disease, and it's amazing and fabulous that she's beating it.

Theresa, hope your eyes are better quickly.

Marji

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Marji, Katie is my son-in-law's niece here in Florida. When DD and he married, his wonderful family embraced DH and myself as part of their family, as we did with them. It's a miracle she is beating the odds on this and but is also giving others with the same diagnoses a ray of hope. Her doctors are at Duke but she and her family are living with her parents here in Florida so she is receiving treatment here. That means the team here are gaining knowledge and able to extended the same treatment to their patients who are doing better than expected. Katie didn't know this was happening in the beginning, but since learning about it, is so happy that what she's gone through is helping others, too.

Theresa, Hope your eye is doing well and best wishes on the next surgery.

My 48 Blue Ridge Beauty blocks are ready to be sewn together. I also have 12 Dancing Nine-Patches to sew together. I think I'll audition a border for the QOV today. I have some flashy patriotic print, so maybe a small plain border before the flash. lol

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Congrats on the new baby, Marji! Will you use it for quilting on a frame? I have TL98Q on my frame, and I love it.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

We had a tornado bounce around the top of our neighborhood Friday night at 9:30pm and took out large trees in our next door neighbor's yard and sent one through their roof, knocked down massive trees and powerlines throughout our neighborhood blocking entry and exit roads to our neighborhood. As soon as the power went off we grabbed flashlights and lanterns and got our whole family in my son's bathroom in the middle of the house, it sounded like the garage door was gonna rip off. We are thankful that the tornado did not make it all the way to the ground as it went right over the top of our home. We are ok and so is our home and property. We are suppose to get another front come through at the end of the week, hoping it is not as bad as this last one. We just got power on this Monday afternoon. I got a lot of bookmarks crocheted for family gifts while the power was out and I was offline over the weekend, I get so much more done when I am not online on the computer.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Glad you are all safe, Sandra.
    Hasn't this weather been crazy lately?
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Sandra, So glad you and yours are safe and no damage to your property.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Thank you Theresa and Sharon, we are very thankful God was watching over us. We found out on last night's local news that the tornado that went over the top of our neighborhood touched down a short time later in a nearby town and it took out several houses there. So we are just thankful we are all ok.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Sandra, that's scary. Glad that the tornado let you alone, but sorry for those in the next town.

Sharon, it's so nice that your s-i-l's family has embraced you into their family. So touching to hear about Katie, and that her treatment is actually helping others too. Wonderful news.

Donna, I've been practicing fmq using my Bernina, so no frame yet. Don't know if that's in the cards for the future or not.
    I have been literally spending hours at the machine, and got a bit concerned about running my computerized machine that much. I don't want to burn out my Bernina, and I do still want to use it for the garment sewing I bought it for. I've had my eye on the Juki for at least a year. Was really happy to sit down and stitch at it, so when the rep made me an offer I couldn't refuse, I went for it.