Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JCENNSI: mono filament thread question

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 22:33

This was posted earlier today on an old QOTD thread. I was afraid it would get lost if too few people saw it so I'm reposting it. Hopefully, if jcennsi checks back, they will see this post!
Kate

Posted by jcennsi (jcennsi@aol.com) on Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 9:09 under "QOD Machines" messages.
I'm trying to machine quilt with mono filament thread and the filament keeps breaking my stitch is set at 4.5 and tension 6 I have the motor slowed down and the thread in-between two pieces of felt and the spool is in a net sock. What am I doing wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JCENNSI: mono filament thread question

Although I don't sew often with mono filament thread, I don't think I set the tension or stitch length as high as what the OP had.

Hoping that someone with more experience will post.
Teresa

o

One thing is are you using the correct needle? Jayne

o

What would it take, Janye? 90?

o

I don't set my tension that high. Try easing off on the tension a bit at a time while you sew samples till you get a number your machine likes. All machines have their own particular likes.

o

I find a Metafil needle (normally used for metallic threads) quite helpful when using a polyester monofilament. I never use the nylon monofilament threads.

My tension is reduced, but only slightly.

o

Is it being used in the bobbin? If it is, the tension while winding the bobbin may be too tight, stretching the mono filament, making the thread break. I don't use it often, but I have a stitch on my machine, that mimics hand quilting that requires mono filament thread to get that space - it is a real pain, but it looks wonderful. I have my settings for tension written down, but what is right for my machine is not going to be right for another.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here