Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

My grandmother with the a finished quilt...

Robbi D.
10 years ago

I think I posted this quilt, but not after it was finished. A close family friend quilted this in 3 days! She did an awesome job :-) I should be able to bring this quilt to the retreat to show everyone.

Anyhow, I was able to give it to my grandmother on the 15th of this month and she passed away on Tuesday. I was so glad we were able to get it finished before she passed. She was 93. She combed over it in detail before she put it one her bed to look at. The pictures I'm posting also has 5 generations of the girls in our family.

Comments (19)

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of her passing, but so glad she was able to enjoy your beautiful quilt for a little while. What a wonderful photo to have of the family, too.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry that you have lost your grandmother. The quilt you made for her is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm sure she felt your love for her in every stitch. Lois

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

That quilt is beautiful, so glad you were able to share it with your grandmother before she passed. Sorry for your loss.

• calliope
    10 years ago

She was a beautiful woman! This so touched me, because I finished my first patchwork quilt just in time to put it on my mother's bed for one night, before she had to leave her house to come live with us shortly before she died. She watched me sit at her feet for many nights quilting on it, and made over it and then found out I had made it for her. I'm sorry for your loss but what a special way to tell her how much you loved her.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. Love the photo! I know she loved the quilt.

My mom does the same thing when I show her my quilts - she studies them for a long time, pointing out this and that. She is also a quilter but I think her eyesight is getting poor enough that she isn't sewing much any more.

Donna

• wanda_va
    10 years ago

I am sorry you lost your grandmother, but it's wonderful that you were able to give her the quilt before she passed. I'm sure she was thrilled. She was a beautiful lady and I know you will miss her. Hugs!

Would love to see a full picture of the quilt!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family were lucky to know her and get pictures.

I recently came across a 5 generation picture taken when my oldest grandson was born. He is now 34 and my mom and grandma are both gone, but he and his wife now have the picture for memories. Make sure a picture gets put in that little one's baby book so she will be able to see her heritage. Good job!!

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Love the quilt, and the picture. Both will be charished in years to come.

beverly

• polardream
    10 years ago

So sorry for your loss - I know you will miss your grandmother very much. What a wonderful gift for her - and your family, to be able to be together for a 5 generation picture before she passed. I am sure she treasured your gift. It is really beautiful!
    Sue

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

So sorry that she's gone, but so glad that you were able to share it with her. It's beautiful, as is the family photo.
    LindaB/CA

• lola99
    10 years ago

What a wonderful family picture. I'm glad your grandmother was able to enjoy your quilt.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

What a wonderful memory you have to share with you family. Your grandmother must have been thrilled to have had such a special gift and having her family to share it with. I know you will miss her but she will remain a part of you life every time you look around and remember the gift of love she gave to you. I am sorry for you loss but glad you were able to share the moment.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Your picture and quilt...how beautiful and special... truly a family treasure!
    thanks for sharing...
    V.

• fran1523
    10 years ago

The picture and the quilt are both treasures. The quilt is beautiful and I'm sure she loved it.

• day2day
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing.
    I am glad that she got to see and use your beautiful quilt.

I also like your photo. I do genealogy and always appreciate the great value of family photos. Do you have the names on the back?
    I have seen so many old and new family photos without the names and it is such a pity. Later generations will appreciate seeing the names and how each is related to the others.

TFS.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Oh Robbi, I'm so sorry you lost her. But I am celebrating for you that you were able to share this quilt with her. It is a representation of your amazing skill and it is a loving tribute. I'm sure she was proud of you and felt the love pouring out of that beautiful quilt.

93 years and surrounded by family... she was a lucky woman!

Kate

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. What a wonderful gift you gave her. So touching of her spreading it on her bed to see the work you had done. What a wonderful memory you have of her and your sisters and relatives. Nice picture of all of you. Great treasure. The quilt is beautiful.
    Mary

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

such a beautiful story!!!! Thank you for sharing...

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone :-) We call my family the papazarri when it comes to taking pictures. There is no shortage of knowing whos in what picture :-)

When I was making this quilt, I was keeping it a secret from my grandmother, but showing it to my mom (next to the chair in the back). She commented how much she liked it, so she is now the owner of it. At least it's staying in the family and will be well taken care of.

Robbi