Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Going Around in Circles

lindaoh_gw
12 years ago

My DH gave me an Accuquilt Go cutter for Christmas in 2010. I have been wanting to make a Drunkard's Path quilt so I bought the DP die for the cutter. Last month I pulled out fabrics from my stash and cut 96 DP blocks. They were so easy to sew because there is a little notch to match. I used two pins for each block and they matched perfectly.

I finished the top and quilted it last week. I took it along to Columbus last weekend to finish the binding.

I definitely will make another DP quilt because it was fun to sew the blocks and went together so quickly.

Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of block and quilt

Comments (19)

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Linda, I love the colors in your quilt, and you're right - the circles do seem to float. Very pretty quilt. Is this the first project you've done with the Accuquilt? Lois

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lois, it is the first I've finished. I have cut lots of tumbler blocks but haven't started putting them together. I am cutting them from scraps and keep adding to it.
    Linda

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Congratulations on a beautiful quilt. Like your color choices. The AC must have done the trick as I have never found the curved seams easy and I am sure the cutting helps a great deal. Looking forward to the next one.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Colors are great! Looks like you purchased them for the project instead of pulling from stash!

I recently saw an impressive demo of a foot that makes sewing curves easy and no pinning is required. Can't remember the name of it.

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kate, I have seen the foot demo also. It is really not needed. I probably could have sewn these without pins but I'm rather cautious. The secret is to hold the top piece up a bit as you sew, keeping the edges even, and adjusting the bottom piece as you go.
    Linda

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Linda, I love your DP quilt! Very nice colors.

I have that foot - it's called Curve Master. The one time I tried it the fabric got all chewed up under it and I couldn't magically keep the raw edges together like they do in the demo. So - I threw it in a drawer and it's been there for probably 5 years. I really should try it again.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Very pretty! I have a Accuquilt Go~I never use it -- ever! It would be perfect for cutting the curves. Love your color use of fabrics.

Donna, try your Curve Master foot using the Single hole needle plate -- I will bet that plate makes all the difference! Make sure the needle lines up in the hole first. She also used bent handled tweezers to manipulate the fabric. I think mastering the foot requires some practice, because it does not look 'natural'.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Linda, you said the curve master foot isn't really needed: "The secret is to hold the top piece up a bit as you sew, keeping the edges even, and adjusting the bottom piece as you go." I'm glad to hear that because that's what I wondered when I was watching the demo. It looked like it was more about the technique of holding the top fabric up. I've got to give that a try.

Marsha, thanks for the tip about the needle plate! And the reminder about using tweezers at the very end of the curved seam to hold the ends together.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

When you sew curves, shorten your stitch length - makes it easier to go around the curves....also look in your arsenal of feet you already own-I bet you have a foot that is shorter in the front that will work, but pay attention to the 1/4" seam allowance.

• day2day
    12 years ago

Linda, the DP quilt is beautiful. Lovely colors.
    Congrats on the finish.

~Geraldine

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Marsha I don't use mine for everything, but for this pattern I would. I use it the most cutting up 5x5 scraps. The prob for me is storage, when I drag it out I spend the entire day cutting.

Didn't mean to take over your post Linda lol!!!! I love your quilt and I have been wanting to make a DP for along time. I watched E. Burns make one and the pieces certainly didn't look like they fit to me, when she finished sewing they were perfect!!!
    Rosa

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosajoe, you didn't take over the post. I'm glad to have an active thread!
    I don't use the Go cutter often but like you, I usually spend an afternoon cutting. I started cutting up my scraps with the value die that came with it. I found a pattern for a Hunters Star that uses the pieces from the value die. I have to cut lots more before I start sewing. I have also cut lots of tumbler blocks and for a second tumbler quilt, I cut up Christmas fabrics. I have lots of ideas for quilts cut with the Go.
    Linda

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Linda ~ I also don't mean to hijack! I hope you know my/our intentions are good. Your posts inspire discussion.

Of course we love seeing your accomplishments and your sharing of information! I should thank you more often~Thanks!

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marsha, I don't consider an active thread hijacked! I'm glad to see people posting and if it goes off on another subject, it is fine with me. Thank you! I love to hear from everyone.
    Linda

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Wonderful DP quilt, Linda! The "Go" must have been great for this as I can't imagine cutting all those curves. Love the floating illusion of those circles! Looking forward to seeing your next too.

Dee

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I would love to have one of those cutters! I came very close to getting one last fall, but held off because I really don't have the time to start any new projects. I have committed to so many long term ones, I don't have time for much else. But, I'm not complaining, I love what I'm doing :-) I just want more hours in the day, so I can sew more!

Robbi

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Lovely quilt, Linda!

I applaud you for being able to stitch curves so evenly.
    I may try that technique some time in the far away future.
    It's a great feeling to dig into one's stash and create a work of art!

TFS

Julie

• qwkslver
    12 years ago

Very pretty, good job. I have that die but have not used it yet. Now I am anxious to!

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Very pretty quilt Linda. You astound me with all your finished projects.