Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

Bargello

luvtosharedivs
12 years ago

I finally finished my Bargello quilt.

But I'm not sure I can technically call it a quilt, because I did not add batting. (Please don't report me to the quilt police!) I wanted a light Summer covering...not extra warmth, so maybe I should call it a bedspread.

The pattern is "Spiral Burst Bargello" by Becky Botello.

My fabric colors are different than her pattern though. I had been collecting fabrics on sale and in the remnant bin at Joann's, not knowing what I'd make, but eventually decided to go for the Bargello. Next time I make a

Bargello pattern I will use better quality fabric, since some of Joann's fabrics are a tad thin.

Sorry for the poor quality photo. The lighting was poor in my living room, so I tried to edit the brightness, but somehow lost some color intensity.

Julie

Comments (24)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very pretty! How did you like making the Bargello? I bought a book on making one, but haven't yet-another on my list.
    I agree much of the fabric at Joann's is thinner, but some of it is okay. Is it quilted?
    Without batting, I would wash it on a very gentle cycle and avoid too much spinning or agitation. My concern would be fraying.
    The colors and contrast are perfect for this design - I really like it! You did a great job on this.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

It's really quite lovely, Julie. Did you sew the top to the backing? In other words, did you "quilt" it without batting? If you do, I think it would reinforce the stitching of the top and would make it less likely to fray, as Marsha cautioned. It looks like a fair amount of work, and I'd hate to have it pull apart at the seams for lack of a little more work. Nice job.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Oh, I love it! I'm gonna have to try one sometime.

Here in the south we call those "summer quilts" if there is no batting.

• calliope
    12 years ago

No, this isn't lovely. It's absolutely exquisite!

This is the one where you were struggling with wavy borders? So I take it that you did quilt it. If it is the one, looks like you addressed it quite well.

OK.........you say you are a new quilter? Laughing. Why don't you start off your quilting career with something hard the next time. (tongue in cheek) I've been quilting six years now and I haven't even considered a bargello yet.

Great choice of fabric.......very dramatic, calming and pleasing. I've made two 'summer' quilts so far with no batting, and I agree that they are more durable if heavily quilted to reinforce the seams when laundering. It takes the strain off them by distributing the weight of the wet cotton to points of stitching what will not stretch. That is the priniciple of sashiko quilting in Japan. It was traditionally more for reinforcement than adornment.

• day2day
    12 years ago

It's lovely!
    The colors are very appealing.
    A bargello is another pattern that is on my 'want-to-try' list.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• colleenny
    12 years ago

Very pretty. I have been quilting for over 7 years and haven't tried a Bargello quilt. You can use any colors you want, you don't have to use the colors on the pattern. The quilt you create is done in your colors and the way you see it is unique to you. No one has a right to criticize it.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Julie, it's beautiful!

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous Julie!!! I love blue and browns. I have a book on Bargello design and another pattern that I bought to make one.

Still on my 'to do' list!

I agree, you can not say you are a beginner any more lol!!!
    Rosa

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Very beautiful Julie! I like your colour choice too.
    Corinne

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Marsha, I thoroughly enjoyed making this one, because of the 24 different color fabrics. I also have a book called 'Bargello Quilts' by Marge Edie, which gives different construction directions than the Spiral Burst pattern.
    The book instructs how to sew strips onto the batting and backing, thus creating a QAYG project, which (IMHO) would produce a very sturdy construction.

Oh, Marsha...I followed your tip of using/buying a Left Edge Top Stitch pressure foot, thank-you very much! I was able to stitch a nice straight line on the inner edge of my border:
    (clickable thumb)

Marsha, Lois, and Calliope.
    Yes, indeed it is quilted:) I had fun using different colored threads to match the fabric, but sometimes played with variegated thread. I used a straight stitch, following the diagonals across the squares & rectangles. Average stitching distance is 3-4" apart, but sometimes got as close as 1" on the thin strips of fabric, or as far apart as 5" on the wider strips. I broke thread at the ends of color rows.
    Here are a couple examples:

And here is the backing:

Calliope,
    Yes this is the one with the wavy borders, and thank you for your comment. But if you saw it close-up, you would see some extra poofiness in the border fabric. I didn't quilt the border, since it's only 3" wide. (Maybe I should have!) I will have to google sashiko quilting...now you've got me curious!

And yes to everyone...I still consider myself a beginner.
    Bargello is easier than it looks. All you have to do is sew a bunch of strips horizontally into a panel, sew the panel into a tube, then cut vertical strips of various widths from the tube. You then sew the strips together into vertical rows, offsetting the fabric colors by one square each time, to get the diagonal curves. Occasionally directions call for removing the stitching between various squares, and flipping the strips around, then sewing them back together. Basically, the only thing you have to match is the horizontal seams. If you could all see my quilt from 6" away, you would find that MANY of those horizontal seams are a tad off, but it doesn't bother me, because you can't see the imperfections from far away:)

Another reason I consider myself a beginner, is that I haven't even explored the world of applique (which seems scary to me), or paper piecing, or working with templates, or doing fancy free motion designs.

I don't even know at what point one can move from beginner to intermediate.

Anyway, thanks again for you kind comments everyone!

Julie

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I like the colors and the way they flow.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Julie, the quilt is gorgeous and I really appreciate your detailed explanation. I have a bargello on my To Do list but haven't had the nerve to start it yet even though the one I want to do is very simple compared to yours.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Julie~glad you used the topstitch foot! Your stitching is perfect. It is a great foot to use when you have different heights of fabric. I should think about using it more often. Thanks for posting close up pics. Enjoy them.

Again, I love your summer quilt!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Julie, You certainly have an eye for color! This is gorgeous!

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Julie, I am very impressed with you quilt. It is beautiful and certianly beyond beginner status. We each are beginners in different aspects of quilting and though I have been quilting for 30 odd years I still have a long ways to go. Bargello is somethng I have not tried but want to. I love your pattern and color choices. Great job and TFS. Jayne

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for all your kind comments!

Julie

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Oh I love it. It looks so complicated....can't believe you are beginner. If you get tired of it, my address is....

• buteau3rd
    12 years ago

Absolutely mind boggling! I love it!

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks gals!

I have a tip for any of you who want to try a Bargello pattern.

Try one of Eleanor Burns quilts from her book, Quick Trip Quilts.
    The patterns and directions in that book are very similar to making a Bargello. She gives easy-to-follow-step-by-step directions, and the book provides great pictures and diagrams.

I think, after making a "Trip Around The World" quilt from that book, I had enough confidence and experience to go ahead with a Bargello pattern.

Julie

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! I'd also love to do one of these some day. It's on my "to-do-list".

Robbi

• lola99
    12 years ago

Oh wow, I love your color choices! Your quilt is really amazing. Nice job, and thanks for posting the detailed pictures and description.

Lola

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

It's beautiful. One on my to do list as well.

• wanda_va
    12 years ago

You did a wonderful job on that quilt! I just love bargellos - they are fun to make and so beautiful. I haven't tried the QAYG method, but I do have the book by Marge Edie. That's on my "someday list". TFS

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again, gals!

The next Bargello I make will be with better fabrics, and I might try the QAYG pattern...but will start with a smaller table runner or wall hanging.

Julie

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH