Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

2nd Special LOTTO - Paper Piecing 2014

K8Orlando
10 years ago

Our first quarter paper piecing lotto turned out even better than we expected! We had great participation and enough beautiful heart blocks to make a nice quilt. Let's try another block and do it again!

Paper Piecing Lotto
2nd Quarter 2014
Along with the regular monthly Lotto, we are going to have one block each quarter for those who want to try something special. As with the regular Lotto, you can make 1, 2 or 3 blocks. Mail them to littlehelen by the end of the quarter along with $1 to cover mailing the blocks to the winner.

If you have questions, post them below or refer to the 2014 Lotto at a Glance post for general lotto instructions.

2nd Quarter - due 6/30 - paper pieced 12" Birdhouse in bright fabrics. This is a very basic paper piece pattern and a great way to give this method a try if you haven't done one before. When you print the templates, be sure to check the 1 inch square and see if it measures 1 inch. If it doesn't, your block won't be the right size. If you have trouble, let us know and we'll offer suggestions to get it the right size. If all else fails, I can print some pages and mail them to you.

This is a fun block and any bright colors are OK. I think they'll all fit together and make a cheerful quilt. For the holes, you can fuse or applique holes on, or just skip that part and let the winner decide if they want to add buttons or felt circles instead.

Here's the one from quilterscache.com:

Here's one I made (it's prettier in person!)

Here's the link to the block at Quilter Cache:
Birdhouse Block

Have fun!
Kate

Comments (24)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I love your block! The fabric choices are perfect. I'm looking forward to giving this one a try.
    V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know if Val has received many blocks for this special paper piece lotto but you all still have a month to get a block done and sent in. I thought this one was fun and the color choices are endless! Use some of the scraps you've generated from April/May lotto brights and June lotto grays.

Wouldn't these blocks look cute tied together with a bird fabric border? Or some polka dot binding?

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

One little birdhouse...

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

two little birdhouses....

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

three little birdhouses....

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love it, Val!

Where did you find that pine cone black/green batik??? I need some!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Kate...The green pine cone is from a scrap bin at Jinny Beyer's VA shop, along with the green in the house...love those scrap bins!

This post was edited by littlehelen on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 19:54

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's still time to use up some of your scraps and enter this Special Paper Piece Lotto! Who wouldn't want a cute wallhanging of colorful birdhouses?!?

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Working on it!
    Theresa

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

This was FUN!!! My sister, Patty, was here and she taught me how to do this....did not put on buttons, however, but will mail next week.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

How cute!

• nannykins
    9 years ago

And I will only do one this month. And please do not put my name in the draw.
    Theresa

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Pretty ones, Theresa!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Adorable! What a great wallhanging or small quilt!

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

totally CUTE!!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Who else may be on line and can select a number between 1 and 6, inclusive, for these adorable Birdhouses?
    V.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Theresa here! Number 3 is my choice!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Well Well...Ms K8 won these adorable birdhouses!

Congratulations...these are super cute when assembled!

This post was edited by littlehelen on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 19:59

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Woo HOO!
    I wasn't going to have my name in this lotto but now that I see the blocks I'm glad I forgot to tell you!

I'll do something fun with them. Thanks to all who made blocks!

Kate

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

oh now...Kate is perfect for those lil birdhouses!!! I cannot WAIT to see what creation (or creations!) comes from this batch!! They are darling, too!!! Congrats, Kate!

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Congrats Kate! I know you will make something very special with these great blocks. Well done everyone! Each one is so cute & whimsical.

• polardream
    9 years ago

Congrats, Kate! I wanted to do this block but never got around to it with traveling and moms being here. Glad you won.

Sue

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rcvd the blocks today! Woo HOO! This is going to be fun!