Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickie1_gw

adding border to a quilt as you go piece

chickie1
16 years ago

I have made a "Take Five" quilt using the quilt as you go method. I'm very happy with whatt I have so far. Now I'm at the point where I need to add the border but I'm not sure how. Anybody got any ideas? Do I sew the border pieces together (I have 3 different colors to add)and then add the batting and backing? Or what?

Comments (8)

• redpenny
    16 years ago

I will be interested in what others have to say when I do QAYG I have never added a border what I have done is squared up my quilt and binded my QAYG.
    Red

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

I made this quilt/bedspread as QAYG. I made the hanging sections with the broderie perse flowers, and was ready to sew them on; then my mother said she wanted to use it as a bedspread instead of a quilt. So I added a 5-6" border on the top and bottom of the hanging section to make it long enough (they are the sections quilted with hearts).

I just sewed the border sections to the hanging section (using QAYG, with sashing), and then attached them to the main quilt in the same manner as the individual blocks are joined--with sashing. This is a queen-sized quilt and I made a similar quilt in king-size. Using the QAYG method is much, much easier to quilt than the "conventional" method.

That's my sweet mother in the picture, BTW.

• chickie1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I think i got it now. I couldn't figure it out. Wanda, I love the bedspread you made for your mom. I can't wait to get "good" at quilting so that I can make beautiful quilts like this one.
    Pirate Girl... I forgot about using a sashing. thanks for explaining the process.

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

I love your quilted bedspread, Wanda. And thanks for the tips pirate girl. I might try this one day.
    Linda

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Beautiful quilt Wanda, but am curious to see the other side & how the seams were handled, in other words, what sashing finished like.

To see mine, pls. got to PhotoBucket.com & look up KRSternberg. Then see the Album called Nissei Africans.

On the front side (black & orange), the sashing is bright orange. On the back side, the sashings are green (outer sashes which attaches the borders) & inner sashes are multi-colored stripe (& cover the seams connecting the individual panels to each other). I hope seeing the pix (even tho' I wish they were much closer up), will clarify the sashing concept.

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

Here's the back of one of my QAYG quilts - the sashing looks the same as the front (except that one side of the sashing on the back is hand-sewn).

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Very pretty. YOu did a wonderful job. I keep trying to get the courage to try that. Do you use sashing on the front as well as the back or are the blocks butted togeather? Jayne

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!