Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommapea

Question about prepping upholstery samples for a quilt

mommapea
14 years ago

Ladies at our church do a lot of quilting for charity. We've recently been given a bunch of upholstery samples which would make a beautiful quilt top. My question is how to prep them. We've removed the fabric samples from the books (ie. removed all of the cardboard and the industrial staples) and are left with fabric samples that have a sticky glue substance along the top and a sticky paper back border on the reverse side about 2 inches all the way around. I can't use them as they are since the glue would probably get all over my sewing needle (and potentially in my sewing machine) and the paper backing is pretty heavy duty and I don't think I'd want to sew through that. Should I soak them in water to try to remove the glue and sticky paper backing? The paper backing doesn't come off easily as you try to remove it. It comes off in very small pieces and some areas you can't get it off (basically, it's a big pain). And where you did get it off, you're left with another sticky residue. Should I run them through my washing machine? Most of the samples say that they are 100% polyester. I can probably just cut off the gluey substance at the top, but I'm mostly concerned about this paper backing and the sticky residue. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

As an upholsterer and a quilter, I have to say, you're looking at a disaster if you try to quilt with these fabrics.

You won't get all the glue off, even if you machine wash them.

That "sticky glue residue" is probably a spray adhesive. You might get it off with a solvent, but laundry detergent probably won't touch it. In addition to the adhesive holding to paper to the back of the fabric, some fabrics are coated on the back with a latex-type coating. That won't wash off either.

Upholstery fabrics are also not meant to be washed. They will ravel, shrink, pucker, and distort. Since they will all have exposed adhesive, they'll probably stick to each other, too.

I would also never wash those in my washing machine - gluey bits will stick to the wash tub and get on your clothes.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Me again - If you're willing to cut to waste all the paper-coated sides, you can probably use the centers of these fabrics.

If I recall correctly, way back when I actually had sample books, you might get about a 6" square from the center.

• User
    14 years ago

I "inherited" a bunch of those sample books awhile back also. I needed something a little fancier for my living room and wanted to use some of the fabrics. I cut all the green and burgandy from the cardboard, squared them up and went to work creating a jigsaw puzzle from them.
    I backed it with velvet, no batting, tacked it at the intersections and ended up with my granddaughter's favorite blanket--the Fancy Nap Quilt:
    {{!gwi}}
    When it needs some freshening, I toss it in the dryer with Dryell.

• ritaweeda
    14 years ago

Years back I got hold of a bunch of these and learned that it depends on the fabric whether it will cause problems. What I wound up doing is to only use the finer woven cotton and linen pieces. I cut off the cardboard and some had grommets, which I also removed. I made a lap quilt with them and it has held up pretty good. I also have sewn a bunch together as a rag quilt, haven't snipped all the seams, though. These would really work well for handbags, pillow shams, etc. which don't get washed very often.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

I also had a bunch of these given to me. I saved only the homespun type and cut them in squares that will "one day" be a sofa throw for each of my sons.

You will be disappointed if you try to make a bed quilt with upholstery fabric samples. Make mug rugs (coasters), table runners, or tote bags with them instead.

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

Since they were free why not try soaking them in some warm soapy water ya never know the manufacturer might be more recent than you think and the glues more earth friendly. No harm in at least trying to soak them. If it doesn't work cut off the paper/ glue areas and use what is left.

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

A lot of good advice has been posted. I have a quilt made from upholstery samples that my mom made me 40yrs ago. I haven't used it in over 30 yrs, it has been packed away. But the issue then (& is)--- that sucker is so incredibly heavy!! She backed it with just cotton & bound it w/satin fabric, making the binding wide like a blanket edging. Turned out great, but it weighs about 30 lbs!! lol
    Just consider who will be using it & how:) (I've had it dry cleaned once - the cleaners charged my an outrageous amt & would not guarantee their work on 'unusual' fabrics. Just a heads up)

• ArynnMcKenzie
    9 years ago

I do not know how well they go into a blanket but I made this yesterday. I used the cleaning codes on the tags to tell me how to proceed. I have all different kinds as I was literally given what must amount to 70 lbs of the stuff. I made ottomans.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I received a bunch of these fabric samples also - if you quilt, friends always want to give you fabric! I used almost all of mine to make tote bags for the Retreat people one year. I've used some for purses, pillows and table runners. Although the samples can be beautiful, I agree they wouldn't be my first choice for a quilt. Way too many potential problems.

Kate

• HU-101604362
    4 years ago

You can try ironing the paper labels. The heat will soften the glue and you'll be able to pull the paper in most cases. It depends on the fabric.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource