Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

A new baby quilt!

mary_c_gw
11 years ago

I hope this doesn't post twice - my internet had a major hiccup, LOL.

This is a quilt for my latest step-grandson. The black fabric with stars is also in his 9 y-o cousin's baby quilt.

Comments (22)

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I need to make multiple posts to upload from my computer, LOL. I should have uploaded to photobucket.

Anyway, here is a close-up:

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And while I'm learning how to post this way - here's a picture of the label:

• grammyp
    11 years ago

That is a great boy quilt. It is nice that they share the black fabric, too. I love the label, I put mine in the corner, too.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Great quilt, Mary! I like colorful quilts for babies and kids.

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Love your colors. Good job, Mary.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Very cute quilt. I love the binding and the wonky blocks.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

I like that a lot. I'm never sure what to make for baby boys without buying specialty fabrics. That's a good idea.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Just beautiful, it's a wonderful juxtaposition of what looks like prints & solids, really much smaller scale prints. The black print lends such movement, it's really great!

• day2day
    11 years ago

I like your colorful wonky blocks. I have printed the tute for making wonky blocks but still haven't tried it.
    I am concentrating on making baby quilts this year and I think a wonky-block baby quilt would be a good one to try.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Great to see you are quilting Mary! Love the boy quilt. Your bindings are always special. William is a lucky kid.
    The wonky squares seem to be dancing.

I think Photobucket is easier (when it behaves) when posting multiple pics.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Love the quilt, especially the quilting. Do you print your labels on your computer. It looks really neat, unlike the ones I write by hand.
    LindaB/CA

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Yes, Mary, how do you make your labels? They're great too.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments!

Yes, I usually make my labels on the computer.

I use the Bubble Jet Set solution to soak a piece of fabric. Let the fabric dry, and iron on to a piece of freezer paper. I use C.Jenkins brand heavy-weight freezer paper sheets. They're already printer sized and flat, and much heavier than freezer paper on a roll.

Print the label, pull it off the paper, rinse in Bubble Jet Set Rinse, dry it, and ready to go.

I use Word on the computer to compose, and I set the print to center justification, and make sure print it in the middle of the page. I make a test print on paper, of course, then print the label.

I fold the top of the fabric down behind the label so I have a double layer, and then press it. Cut the triangle out of the fabric and stitch it by machine to the quilt edge, and by hand across the top edge. Then I sew the binding as usual.

• byrdseay
    11 years ago

Your quilt is beautiful. What is the name of the pattern? Thank you!

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Love it! So colorful and great for a boy! I'm going to steal your technique of putting the label in the corner! So much easier!!!

Teresa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I like it, Mary! Great job - I know it will be loved.

Donna

• polardream
    11 years ago

Mary, I love your quilt! The colors are so bright and cheery and the wonky blocks are just plain fun!
    I have tried the labels on regular freezer paper and not had any luck. Thanks for the tip on the C. Jenkins - I will look for it!
    Sue

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sue, here's a link to the site.

Bubble Jet Set is one of the featured products on the first page, but if you look on the left menu you will see a link to the freezer paper.

Seriously, this product has improved my life. Once I've used it for a quilt label, I often re-use it for individual patterns. I use them a quilting motifs, but of course, they are useful for applique, etc.

By the way, C. Jenkins is also the inventor of Bubble Jet Set.

Here is a link that might be useful: C Jenkins Company

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I love it! This quilt will go with him into toddler and beyond. I also think it would be a great quilt for adults too.

My family still wants the baby quilts that they put away after the first year. A great momento, but not very useful.

Rosa

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Nicely done as always and is a "grow" quilt that will be loved for years. Kids love the bright colors. Great quilting as well. TFS

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the label help. I'll have to try it.
    LindaB/CA

• calliope
    11 years ago

I'm a big fan of the bright and interesting quilts for kids. The brighter the better! Of course it goes without saying that your quilting is just immaculate. Great job, Mary C