Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Starburst table runner

K8Orlando
12 years ago

A few months ago I was lucky to find 11 place settings of vintage dishware (at my local Goodwill, of course!) in a pattern I remember fondly from the 50's. It's Franciscan Pottery in the Starburst pattern. VERY Sputnik, atomic age, 1950's style.

This weekend I finally got around to making a table runner to compliment the dishware. It's not fancy but I like the way it turned out and I am crazy about the starburst fabric I found in two colors. The stripe for the border and the begonia leaves for the backing I've had for years, just hadn't found the right project for them until now.

Kate

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

My Starburst stoneware pattern:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (22)

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

I remember that dish pattern! Love the tablerunner!

Mary

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

They were made for each other. Very pretty and love that backing fabric. It is so exciting when things work out so well. TFS

• User
    12 years ago

I remember one of my friend's had a pattern like that on her kitchen table. What a blast from the past. Great find!

• day2day
    12 years ago

Lovely runner.
    I like the quilting. It looks great with the fabric
    and the fabric fits with the dishware.
    Doesn't it make you so happy when things come together so well!
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Where to start? Your choice of fabric was perfect. (I love the begonia leaves!!!) The pattern is lovely. Your quilting is great. I especially like the tendrils on the end blocks. Even your binding is terrific. I've heard of French binding - is this an example of that? The corners are so perfect, obviouly not the technique I use (or at least a much better version of it). To find 11 placesettings of that old pattern is quite a score. I wish I could say I am too young to remember it, but, alas, I can't. Nice work, Kate. Lois

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lois, the binding method I use is quick, easy and almost always comes out looking great. When it doesn't look great, it's because I rushed it. I tend to sew quickly and without using pins, but when I stop at a corner and re-position the binding I always use a pin because I like those crisp mitered corners.

I've used a similar method but I recently saw this video tutorial and love the 'no snouts' part! I hadn't even considered that before I watched this but I think it does make a difference and the corners lay even flatter and nicer than before I paid attention to 'snouts' or 'no snouts'. Now I am definitely in the No Snouts club.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: 'No snouts' binding tutorial

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Love what you've done!! I really need to do something for me table. Looks great :-)

Robbi

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

As soon as I saw your Starburst stoneware, the Jetsons theme song started playing in my head!

The table runner is perfect for your stoneware. Love the pinwheels ~ my favorite for a quick large block.
    You did a lovely job, understated to let the dishes be the star of the table. Very nice quilting.

I have to recommend (again) the Wonder Clips by Clover. They are perfect for binding & mitering the corners - no pin distortions or bumps from the pins, and that seems to instantly make the miters nice and flat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wonder clips by Clover

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

I would have a difficult time, deciding which side of the runner to display!

I love the quilting patterns showing on the top, but I also love the begonia leaves...hummm...I guess I'd alternate, to enjoy both designs.

You are (again) so artistically gifted, and an inspiration to all of us.

Julie

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, so classy looking!! I'm with Julie, I love both sides!
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Having a table runner with two usable sides is a big plus in a house with cats. They aren't allowed up on the table when I'm home but I'm certain this will become a prime napping place during the day! They seem to think ANY quilt was made specifically for their comfort. So I'll leave it on the begonia side during the day and then I can flip it to a cat-hair-free pinwheel side for dinner. If you don't have cats, that probably sounds disgusting. If you have cats, you totally understand.

I have GOT to get some of those Clover clips. I never think of it until I see your posts about them but they really look like something I should have.

I agree that mitered corners do not require a fancy tool. I just fold, pin, and sew. Once you get the hang of it, it's fast and easy.

The Jetson's - yes! exactly!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Jetson's theme song!!!

• missflippins
    12 years ago

A lovely table runner! I agree with the above, I love the backing fabric too.
    Best wishes, Corinne

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Very nice, Kate! I like your quilting - it really goes with the theme.

Donna

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Wonderful and it goes perfectly with the dinnerware!

Dee

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Beautiful,and like the others i like both sides,and also the quilting.
    Kathi

• bev2009
    12 years ago

What everyone else said! Lovely workmanship!

• fran1523
    12 years ago

What a great find and you created the perfect accessory to go with the table ware. You will be the envy at your next dinner party!!!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops! Must have deleted the pictures!?!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Did you do all that cool quilting on your machine, Kate??

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

Gorgeous runner!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Looks lovely...a great coordinate w/ the dishes!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I like your table runner and your FMQ on it. You did a really good job on it and I like the colors as they will go well with lots of things. Happy 4th of July!!!

Best to you,
    Sandra

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994