Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Official 2014 Quilt Challenge

Posted by jennifer_in_va (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 21:18

This challenge is open to any member of the forum whether they plan on coming to retreat or not. This year there will be no focus fabric, but there will be a few other fun requirements!

Here are the guidelines:

Make an original 18" x 18" wall hanging/quilt. It may be a traditional quilt or an art quilt, whatever you prefer. The colors ORANGE and PURPLE must be shown in a predominant fashion, and each quilt must also include at least 3 flying geese of any size.

Your quilt should be 'complete' with 3 layers, quilting (of some sort) and binding. No sleeve is required.

Finished quilts can either come to retreat with you or be mailed to a person attending retreat (with ample time to get to them.) Please be sure to let us know if you�d like your quilt returned, or adopted into a new home.

The plan is to hang the quilts at the quilt retreat in October where they will be voted on by unbiased viewers.

It would be nice to know who is going to attempt this challenge, though there's no real commitment at this time.

And if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Official 2014 Quilt Challenge

I love a challenge, so I guess I am in. :)

o

Awesome, I'm in.

I will be more than happy to provide transportation to any entries needing it.

beverly

o

Jen, have you been drinking again?

o

Seriously, Jen?

Reminds me of the challenge my neighborhood quilt group did last year - you drew three crayons out of a bag and a verb and had to make some kind of "quilt" - minimum size was 12 x 12. I got blue, purple, and orange and my verb was "whisper". You could use one other color - I picked black. I think I was the ONLY person to complete the challenge!

I will think about this one before I commit - but I will love to see what others do!!

Sue

o

I think it's a great challenge. I'll try to get to it. Last year it pushed me to work without a pattern, something I rarely do.
LindaB/CA

o

OMG! Purple I could do.....but orange??? Really??? Can I put predominatly orange 1/2-inch scraps in the top?

Is peach a shade of orange? Please?

Teresa

o

Come now, Teresa!! Orange & Purple are complimentary colors, so they play well together. It wouldn't be a 'challenge' if it's something you were comfortable doing!

"Prominent - standing out so as to be seen easily; conspicuous; particularly noticeable: Her eyes are her most prominent feature. 2. standing out beyond the adjacent surface ..."

You know there's no right & wrong to this challenge... you won't get a bad grade or smacked by a wet noodle.

Interpret, create, and enjoy the process!

o

• Posted by faytay CanadaEastCoast (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 19:32

I'm in. And Sue... it sounds like you can just slap some borders on your other challenge quilt and you're done. ;)

o

Oh nooooo....another challenge...what's a girl to do??!!£&$?! My certificate from last year as the most personally challenge by a challenge is still waiting to be framed and now another challenge!
I gotta think on this.... ;-)
V.

o

Faye,
I like your thinking!! Would have to make it a flying geese border with mostly oranges to make it work ... just kidding!

I will ponder it a bit!
Sue

o

• Posted by faytay CanadaEastCoast (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 7:47

duplicate post?

This post was edited by faytay on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 7:49

o

I'm in! I can't resist!

Kate

o

Oooh, I'm in too! Sounds like fun.

o

I had to sit through a pretty boring meeting today and just happened to have some graph paper with me (like that was an accident! Ha!) so I started to sketch out some challenge quilt ideas. It was fun but I have too many ideas! Hard to narrow it down.

o

I'm in! But I have no idea on this one. I'll have to ask my daughter for some inspiration. She's very creative :-)

o

I have my pattern drawn, now I just have to get started on it. :)

o

I went shopping yesterday to buy some fabric for this challenge. Somehow I ended up buying 10.5 yards of fabric...for an 18x18 inch challenge??? Now HOW did that happen?

o

Well, Lola, you have to keep options open you know.

I had mine all planned out, then DH throws in some new ideas.

beverly

o

I had a pattern drawn, then told a quilting friend about the challenge and she immediately started sketching too. Sadly, she drew almost exactly what I had already planned! I showed her my sketches and we had a good laugh. Then I threw away my drawing and started over because it must have been too obvious to be interesting. I had another sketch but she laughed at that one too and pointed out I would never be able to make the quilt look like that... ah, it's good to have honest friends, right?

o

I've never done a challenge before but have started this one. I've already put in 2 of 6 flying geese backwards and had to rip. Not sure how far I'll get and still haven't decided on the last round.......no promises.

SharonG/FL

o

Lola, I love your style! Sounds like something I might do!

I FINALLY have an idea ... it may be lame, but it will be 18 x 18 and orange and purple! :) Seriously, I hope I can find a home for it when it is finished.

Sue

o

Kate, isn't it nice to have a friend that thinks like you?! Especially when they smack you in the face and tell you you're crazy!!

Lola, any excuse we can use to buy more fabric!!

Sue, we may all need to find a place for this quilt! Maybe we can send them all to the same person and they can build a QAYG quilt!!

I have a grand idea!! But then again, so did I last year! We'll see if I can pull it off!

Keep creating!

o

I have not made flying geese blocks in a while. I know there are lots of different methods, but I had never seen this trick with the line (or tape) on the machine to avoid having to mark the back of your squares. I don't really like marking the fabric, so I'm excited to try this and see if it works for me.

I found this after reading Lois' thread about HST tips - so thanks for the link!

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Miss Shabby flying geese

o

Mine are masking tape and there's also one for quarter inch and another I forget the use for, but when I piece I use them all. Learned in a class from Gail Abeloe in Pacific Grove at Back Porch. She showed us in a class from the book Scrap Bonanza 2. Great class, but I still have all the extra 1/2 square triangle pieces waiting to become another quilt ;-).
If you've never used any of Gail's patterns, which used to be marketed under Back Porch Press, they're wonderful. They're generally basic and have stunning results. Her foolproof for pattern testing was to have her husband, a non quilter proof the directions.
My favorite pattern is in the link below, the 4th picture down. It's called Butterfly Town, in reference to the monarchs that return annually to Pacific Grove.

Here is a link that might be useful: see how we sew

o

I was looking on line to get some inspiration and my eye kept getting drawn to one particular idea. So, I'm stealing it!!! Of course, I will have to modify it because of the colors, but I'm glad to have a start. And the best part, I think I can use all scraps. I don't have to buy a thing :-)

Robbi

o

Hi Jennifer,
I would like to try the Quilt challenge this year and hopefully I will be able to make it to Camp Cheerio this year. I have a conference to attend in Toronto, Canada the beginning of Sept, and then I plan to head down to the US and visit friends before heading to Camp Cheerio. I'm hoping this will work out, but will make the challenge and send to Beverly if I'm unable to attend. Kristene

o

Having fun working on the Challenge this weekend.

3+ Flying Geese - check!
Lots of purple - check!
Predominant orange - check!
Something I haven't tried before - check!
Having to redo the 'something I haven't tried before' because it looked terrible the first time - check!

o

Sounds like this has been a good challenge for you, Kate!

I have an idea, a plan, and even a draft on paper...and a sewing room that still isn't put back together. So that's where it sits for now. :(

o

I was wondering about your sewing room today, Jen, and hoping you were back in it. Any more water problems? Is it close to being fixed?

o

I have another new plan. I hate when it is slow at work and I can browse the internet, all my plans get changed.

beverly

o

Well, Kate, the water main has been fixed, and we now have a "Sunken Road" (Civil War reference) in our driveway as the dirt settles back into the trench. Soon we'll get a load of new gravel for the driveway.

DH has yet to get my sewing room closet put back together... Hopefully this week. So my room is still a wreck!!

I couldn't stand it though, I had half the family gone camping this weekend, and the little ones went to bed. How could I NOT do any sewing?! I could stay up as late as I wanted! So I moved a few things and whipped up a little 14" square quilt for DS's guinea pig! (We hold him on a towel in case he pees while we're holding him.) All from scrap strip sets!! Birthed it with simple quilting, and I can say I finished a quilt in an hour!

If felt good to do something, but the room is driving me nuts!

o

I may take on this challenge as well. Let me see if some inspiration creeps up on me.

o

So, who's expecting to have theirs finished!?!??

Mine is in the quilting stage...sort of. Then I have to figure out the border. I had a great idea for the border, but I tried the glue baste method, and now I can't use the excess border fabric because it's glued down!

I'll figure something out...hope you will too!
Interpret, create, and enjoy the process!

o

I plan on having mine finished!

beverly

o

Mine is complete! And about as non-traditional as it gets.

Jackie

o

Mine is done. I think half the quilts I made this year have orange in them. Weird.

o

Mine is sandwiched and waiting for me to quilt it. Slowly but surely.....

Robbi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here